Will an X0 rear shifter work with a Red rear derailleur?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Will an X0 rear shifter work with a Red rear derailleur?

If I used a 9 speed shifter, will it work with a Sram Red rear derailleur? I'm tring to set up a 1x9 bike.

LightJunction.com
    The Red derailleur is designed for use with a 10-speed chain. I wouldn't think it would be compatible with a 9-speed chain for a 1x9. I've heard rumors of guys using 10-speed chains on their 9-speed drivetrains, but I don't have any first-hand experience to confirm or deny its compatibility. I'm sure SRAM's official answer is "No, buy more products from us".
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Karma Vampire
    Just from memory, after reading these forums and the stickies, it is my opinion that you would need a 10-spd SRAM MTB shifter. The same is not true for 10-spd Shimano, MTB shifter and Road RD do not mix. However, I wonder if the spring on the Red rear derailleur will be strong strong enough. Check out the new XTR RD to see what I where I am coming from. Of course, if this is a CX set up, probably no problem.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    No. But it will work with a sram 10 speed mtb shifter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    No.
    The chain has nothing to do with it.
    You can use an MTB shifter with a road RD.

The reason you can't use what you are asking, is because you have a 9 speed shifter and the Red RD is 10spd. The 9 spd shifter pulls more cable to move the RD farther inbetween shifts. The 10spd RD moves a shorter distance between shifts because there are more gears in the same space. So a 10spd shifter pulls less cable because of this, compared to a 9spd.

I use my XO 10spd shifter with my Red RD, and it works fine.
    Although I don't use Shimano, I would imagine you could use a trigger shifter on the appropriate spd RD.

Also, the Red RD is limited to, I believe, a 32t rear cog. And that may be pushing it. There are a number of people on this forum using road RD, Sram and Shimano, on their MTB's.

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    The reason you can't use what you are asking, is because you have a 9 speed shifter and the Red RD is 10spd. The 9 spd shifter pulls more cable to move the RD farther inbetween shifts. The 10spd RD moves a shorter distance between shifts because there are more gears in the same space. So a 10spd shifter pulls less cable because of this, compared to a 9spd.
    Maybe getting a little side tracked here, but I'm just curious....

The way I understand it, 10-speed and 9-speed derailleurs move the same total distance from left to right. The 9-speed shifter just has fewer indexes, meaning each index is further apart. But since indexes are only located in the shifter, not in the derailleur, it would seem that there wouldn't be an issue with using a 9-speed shifter with a 10-speed derailleur, unless the lever arm on the rear derailleur somehow played into the distance between indexes for the rear derailleur. Seems like the problem should be with the chain width. ie: the 9-speed chain is too wide for the 10-speed derailleur, and the 10-speed chain is too narrow to operate effectively on the 9-speed cogs.

Anyone have a 10-speed derailleur they want to donate in the name of science?
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by lightjunction View Post
    Maybe getting a little side tracked here, but I'm just curious....

The way I understand it, 10-speed and 9-speed derailleurs move the same total distance from left to right. The 9-speed shifter just has fewer indexes, meaning each index is further apart. But since indexes are only located in the shifter, not in the derailleur, it would seem that there wouldn't be an issue with using a 9-speed shifter with a 10-speed derailleur, unless the lever arm on the rear derailleur somehow played into the distance between indexes for the rear derailleur. Seems like the problem should be with the chain width. ie: the 9-speed chain is too wide for the 10-speed derailleur, and the 10-speed chain is too narrow to operate effectively on the 9-speed cogs.

Anyone have a 10-speed derailleur they want to donate in the name of science?
    You misunderstand it and there is no need for an experiment.
    A SRAM 10-sp derailleur does not work with a 9-speed shifter and cassette.
    Different pull ratios. All in the "leverages." The shifter and RD are both different between 9- and 10-speed.
    Not because of the chain.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Karma Vampire
    ...There are a number of people on this forum using road RD, Sram and Shimano, on their MTB's.
    Can't mix the Shimano 10-spd road and Shimano 10-spd MTB according to Shimano. Don't know real world, though. Marketing Geniuses at Shimano! Advantage to SRAM in this respect.

I have been thinking of trying a
    Shimano 9-spd road derailleur to get a real short cage set up with some SRAM attack (Shimano pull) shifters for a truncated cassette on a Mukluk. I heard SRAM doesn't do as well with a truncated cassette setup. But that is another post...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You misunderstand it and there is no need for an experiment.
    A SRAM 10-sp derailleur does not work with a 9-speed shifter and cassette.
    Different pull ratios. All in the "leverages." The shifter and RD are both different between 9- and 10-speed.
    Not because of the chain.
    Thank you Shiggy.

People think that Sram's Exact Acutation is a 1:1 ratio. I believe it is not. Even if it is, then the RD probably has different pivot points, making it move different.

I would like to know if a 9spd Shimano shifter would work with a Sram 10spd RD.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thank you Shiggy.

People think that Sram's Exact Acutation is a 1:1 ratio. I believe it is not. Even if it is, then the RD probably has different pivot points, making it move different.

I would like to know if a 9spd Shimano shifter would work with a Sram 10spd RD.
    You are correct, it is not exactly 1:1, just as the pre-10sp Shimano is not really 2:1. Both are just an approximation.

From what I understand the main difference between a SRAM 9-sp RD and a 10-sp is the cable cam between the housing stop and the cable clamp. Changes the basic leverage.

Funny how some people take offense when presented with the simple facts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0