mtbr member
    Dec 2013

What style/kind of Bottom Bracket does my bike have? 1994 Specialized Stump Jumper

What style/kind of Bottom Bracket does my bike have? 1994 Specialized Stump Jumper, looks to be some threads in where the BB goes.

Also, can I use my Octalink Crankset on whatever style/kind of BB I have on this bike.

Every seach I do, comes up with specs, and under the BB listing its always empty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The BB shell will be BSA threaded. On a 20 year old bike who knows what the type of BB currently installed will be. If you look for the model of crank on the bike, that will tell you what type of BB it is. Model is usually stamped on the inside of the crank arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You probably have a square taper BB... your crank won't work with that.

You just need an octalink BB that fits your frame:

Shimano BB ES-25 Octalink Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Threaded | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I bought just the frame only because I needed and wanted a steel frame specifically steel rear drop out. Maybe the Octalink is too new for this bike. Maybe now I need to not only buy the correct Bottom Bracket, now I also need to buy a crankset too.

That Shimanno BB ES-25 was the one I was going to buy, from Niagara Cycle.

Is there much of a difference between a $15 BB and a $25-$30 BB?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkxaNgL6Y4

Looks like I need to find out what the previous BB was. That will be a challenge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You need to find the model of the crank you have. Then you can look up the correct BB width on the web. You also need to measure the width of the BB shell to see if it is 68 or 73 mm.

The previous BB is immaterial - it would depend on the crank that was installed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    First, what cranks do you want to use?
    Second, the bb spindle depends on the frame and how the chain rings will iinteract with the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkxaNgL6Y4

Looks like I need to find out what the previous BB was. That will be a challenge.
    no, your bottom bracket is bsa threaded. That was an extremely common shell and still is. What people are saying is that the standard your crank uses determines the bottom bracket as well.

Fur example I use shimano hollow tech cranks. My bike is bsa threaded. I need a bottom bracket that supports bsa threading on the outside and hollow tech on the inside.

If I had square taper cranks and my bike supports pf30, then I would need pf30 press fit bottom bracket that supports square taper cranks

If your cranks are Octa link and bike is bsa then you need a bottom bracket that is bsa threaded and supports octa link

gobsmacked Moderator
    so um...which stumpjumper do you have? You don't have a picture or anything. Is it the fs, f, m2 or one with rigid fork?

They mostly had square taper bbs with a shimano LX crankset. Some nice German dude uploaded the catalog here. Specs are at the end.

Specialized Catalogue 1994 | Catalogues | Retrobike

forgot to mention: the bbs are pretty cheap and the cranksets are affordable as well. With proper maintenance, they both tend to last forever with the exception that the rings get worn first. I have 30 year old bbs on some of my bikes. Just figure out your chainstay clearance and chainline and you're good. You also have to make sure the cage for the front derailleur clears the chainrings. good luck.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 10-28-2015 at 08:59 AM.