What model no. is my Shimano Shifter?- Mtbr.com
    TIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

What model no. is my Shimano Shifter?

Howdy All,

Can anyone tell me where to find the model number on my Shimano RapidFire Shifter? I have a Left (Front) shifter that is giving me problems and I want to buy a new one. If you can't help with finding the model no., can you give me a suggestion based on this description?

8-Speed Shimano, no markings (except Shimano on top of each shifter and 8S on right shifter), but came with an XT equipped bike. The shifter is separate from the brake lever, the body is black, but the clamp is silver metal and there is no "display window/gear indicator" on the shifter. The vintage is mid-90's. When I look at various web-sites, the closest match I see is for an STX-RC shifter that says in the description "Deore was renamed STX-RC".

BTW, the shifter works somewhat, but sometimes fails to pick up the internal lever when trying to upshift to the big ring. I found that the nut that holds the spring for the short lever was loose and I think the spring has jumped off. I would gladly try to fix the shifter if someone could point me to an internal diagram of the shifter (for visual reference) or can point me to on-line service information (if it exist).

Thanks and Enjoy,

TIC

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

All Shimano Parts Have Numbers Stamped On Them

For a shifter pod it will most likely be right near the bolt that attaches it to the bar, on the underside of the clamp so it is inconspicuous. There will be a letter code there as well that will give you the date of manufacture.

TIC
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Shayne,

Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, I think it is a mute point because as I have fixed (at least for now) the shifter. I degreased the pawl and it seems to be working OK now. My only concern is that I did not absolutely know the original position of the return spring for the short stalk and I'm not sure how much torque to put on the retaining nut, or the correct position of the spacer/washer. Regardless, it seems to be working OK and seems to have the same amount of spring rate as before.

Thanks and Enjoy,

TIC

Feb 2004
    I have that same set of pods - unfortunately, I don't know the model either, and I don't recall ever seeing a part number on them. I should pull 'em off sometime and look.