mtbr member
    Oct 2018

What derailleur do I need?

I have a new 11-40 10s cassette. But my old slx derailleur is not good for it.
    Do I need to buy a new derailleur? And which one do I need?
    Someone told me I can buy slx 11s derailleur and it will work for 10s. Is it right?
    And do I need sgs or gs?

Please help...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

What derailleur do I need?

The new generation 10spd derailleurs (m6000 deore and m7000 slx) will work.
    Or, like what you were advised, an 11spd derailleur eill work as well. Might be a better option if you decide to go 11spd in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What is "old", is it a 8 or 9 spd or 10 spd? If it's anything before 10spd, then getting it to work would be more trouble than it's worth, even if you can, if it's a 10spd, all you might need is a longer B_Tension screw or Wolf Tooth GOAT LINK. If you just want a new derailleur, then yes, an 11spd Shimano will work with 10spd shifters for future compatibility in case you move to 11spd.

If it's only going to a 40t cog, then a medium cage (that's GS) will work fine, but you can use a long cage (SGS) if you want, just a bit closer to the ground and obstacles, but you will have the ability should you choose, to go to a bigger cog next time you replace your cassette. CRC has the 10spd SLX M7000 on sale for $42 US.

Quote Originally Posted by Netan View Post
    I have a new 11-40 10s cassette. But my old slx derailleur is not good for it.
    Do I need to buy a new derailleur? And which one do I need?
    Someone told me I can buy slx 11s derailleur and it will work for 10s. Is it right?
    And do I need sgs or gs?

Please help...
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What is "old", is it a 8 or 9 spd or 10 spd? If it's anything before 10spd, then getting it to work would be more trouble than it's worth, even if you can, if it's a 10spd, all you might need is a longer B_Tension screw or Wolf Tooth GOAT LINK. If you just want a new derailleur, then yes, an 11spd Shimano will work with 10spd shifters for future compatibility in case you move to 11spd.

If it's only going to a 40t cog, then a medium cage (that's GS) will work fine, but you can use a long cage (SGS) if you want, just a bit closer to the ground and obstacles, but you will have the ability should you choose, to go to a bigger cog next time you replace your cassette. CRC has the 10spd SLX M7000 on sale for $42 US.
    It is 10s slx derailleur. So all I need is to find a longer b screw? I really don't want to spend a lot of money so it's not like I'm looking for excuses to buy a new derailleur.

mtbr member
    Basically, most times, yes, a longer B-Screw should do the trick to get it to work with a 40t, but depends on which version you have, the older non-clutch or newer clutch style. If the longer B-Tension screw doesn't work, then a WT Goat Link is about $20.

Did you crank your B screw as far in as possible to see how close it would get to working? Is it trying to get on the 40T at all? Reversing the B screw could work and give you that extra bit if reach to see if it'll work.

Quote Originally Posted by Netan View Post
    It is 10s slx derailleur. So all I need is to find a longer b screw? I really don't want to spend a lot of money so it's not like I'm looking for excuses to buy a new derailleur.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Basically, most times, yes, a longer B-Screw should do the trick to get it to work with a 40t, but depends on which version you have, the older non-clutch or newer clutch style. If the longer B-Tension screw doesn't work, then a WT Goat Link is about $20.

Did you crank your B screw as far in as possible to see how close it would get to working? Is it trying to get on the 40T at all? Reversing the B screw could work and give you that extra bit if reach to see if it'll work.
    I got the derailleur with the clutch system.
    I already got it to go on the 40t cog but then it won't reach the 11t cog.
    And after some tuning I got it to reach a cogs but no matter what I'll do it will never turn smoothly. If I try to adjust the derailleur either way it will stop reaching the 11t or 40t cogs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm running an 11spd XT rear derail on my 10 spd setup. Worked great until I tagged a rock. Strange enough I did not even have to adjust it for my 42T cog. Just mount & go! I'd replace the cable also just because they are cheap. Save the old one for the parts box for a trail side fix.