mtbr member
    May 2015

Upgrading my gears to Shimano XT

Hi,

I want to upgrade my drivetrain to the Shimano XT but I'm having some doubts on which one to buy. I could talk with my LBS but I want to find a better price online, so I need to figure this out without their help.

I've found this groupset in Bike-Discount:

Shimano XT M780 3x10 Groupset black (no brakes) | MTB Gearshift Groups Shop

I already have a Shimano XT rear derailleur. It's a M781 Shadow.

My doubt is that I see the groupset can be configured with a M780, M781 and M782. Should I just choose everything with the M781 to follow the same logic as my rear derailleur? Is this related with the fixing method to the frame?
    I seed that my front derailleur is a M781 (Down-swing type). Since I guess I can't "Direct-Mount" the new front derailleur to my frame, I guess I'll have to stick with the M781 right?
    I just want to make clear that there are not performance differences between these specs.

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by jncunha; 10-26-2015 at 03:01 AM.
    KTM ULTRA 1964 - Strava

mtbr member
    May 2015
    KTM ULTRA 1964 - Strava

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That group likes fine. There are no real performance differences bewteen 781, 782, etc. The main things to consider would be:

Front derailleur type (you said yours is down swing)
    Rear derailluer cage length (long cage for a 3X crank)
    Cassette (11x32, 11X34, 11X36 based on your needs)

mtbr member
    May 2015

Upgrading my gears to Shimano XT

Quote Originally Posted by pcmark View Post
    That group likes fine. There are no real performance differences bewteen 781, 782, etc. The main things to consider would be:

Front derailleur type (you said yours is down swing)
    Rear derailluer cage length (long cage for a 3X crank)
    Cassette (11x32, 11X34, 11X36 based on your needs)
    I currently ride a 40-30-22 Deore crank with a 11-36 Deore cassette.

I'm having a hard time to choose which groupset to buy. I'm going to buy it from this link bellow.

Shimano XT 785 Groupset 2x10-speed black | buy | Wheels for Bikes - Onlineshop Action Sports

Should I get a 2x10 crank with 38/24, 38/26 or 40/28? I know mine is currently 175 mm so I guess I should stick with this size right?

As for the front derailleur, I'm going for the M-786 Down-Swing just like my current one. The difference is that mine is a Deore for a 3x10 transmission.

My biggest doubt is with the rear derailleur. Should I choose long or short cage? There's no option for medium. I can choose from the list bellow. Which one should I get?

Shimano XT RD-M781 Shadow SGS long cage
    Shimano XT RD-M781 Shadow GS short cage
    Shimano XT RD-M786 Shadow RD+ SGS long cage
    Shimano XT RD-M786 Shadow RD+ GS short cage

Which one should I choose?

Next is the gear shifters. I'm choosing the Shimano XT Rapidfire Plus SL-M780 2-/3 x 10. I guess these are the right ones.

Then comes the cassette. I dont know if I should get a 11-32, 11-34 or 11-36.

Last but not least is the XT chain. Here I only have 1 choice so I guess that's the right chain.

On my rides I do tend to do a little bit of high speeds and steep climbs. I know that I will lose some high end speed and some "lightness" in the granny gear but I guess that's the little price you pay for a simpler 2x10 gear system.

I'm asking for help because I see a lot of Shimano components, all of them with different references and don't know the differences between them.
    In my humble opinion, I guess I'll be well served with the 38/24 crank and a 11-36 cassette. But I can be wrong. My current cassette is a 11-36 too and I feel fine using a 40-30-22 crank.

I'm choosing the 38-24 to come closer to the old 40 and with the old 22. Is this a logic thought? I'm a bit lost here...

Thank you for the help!
    Last edited by jncunha; 10-27-2015 at 03:55 AM.
    KTM ULTRA 1964 - Strava

mtbr member
    To answer your questions I think we need to know what you are hoping to accomplish by switching to a 2x10 drive train?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    To answer your questions I think we need to know what you are hoping to accomplish by switching to a 2x10 drive train?
    More or less the same relations. I don't want to loose too much in high speed and I don't want much more effort when climbing a wall in the "granny".

That's why I thought about the 38/24 crank with the 11-36 cassette.

I use the bike for amateur XC racing.
    KTM ULTRA 1964 - Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncunha View Post
    More or less the same relations. I don't want to loose too much in high speed and I don't want much more effort when climbing a wall in the "granny".

That's why I thought about the 38/24 crank with the 11-36 cassette.

I use the bike for amateur XC racing.
    So, why not stick with 3x10?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    So, why not stick with 3x10?
    Because I rarely go to the 40 ring. Only after a 2x6 is where I shift to the big ring. I'd prefer to just go full into the 2x10 instead of asking for another jump in my cranks.
    I like the simplicity of having only 2 plates.
    KTM ULTRA 1964 - Strava

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I agree, if you never use the big ring, then a double would save a few grams and make it look a lot cleaner. I went from a 3x10 SRAM to the 2x10 full XT and love it! (38/26 and 11-34) has worked great for me and I'm even thinking of going to 1x10 with a 34T up front. Anyhow, back to your thread lol.....
    If you usually stay in the 30T ring then I would probably go with the 38/24 and the 11-36 like you were thinking. Terrain is fairly mellow here in SE Texas so I've never gotten out of the 38T ring, so my input on the climbs wouldn't be worth a grain of salt.
    Your FD choice is fine, just whichever style matches your bike's mount.
    For the RD, I would get the shadow plus if you can. I have the 786 GS and the clutch feature has eliminated chainslap when going over "rooty" sections of the trail, so I'd definitely recommend it. Before, with the X9, you would constantly hear the chain slapping the chain stay protector.
    As for chains, just make sure it's a 10sp chain, SLX/XT/XTR really shouldn't matter too much besides grams. For the shifters, my XT work a lot better than the old X7. A lot crisper and faster. Again just be sure they're 10sp. If you're also getting/or have i-spec compatible brakes you can adapter the shifters to mount up with the brakes for a single clamp on the bars. It actually looks pretty cool and cleans up the bars a little or gives you room in case you want to run a dropper post or bell, etc.
    Great choice in the new upgrade, I'm sure you're going to love it. I know I sure as hell do!
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    I agree, if you never use the big ring, then a double would save a few grams and make it look a lot cleaner. I went from a 3x10 SRAM to the 2x10 full XT and love it! (38/26 and 11-34) has worked great for me and I'm even thinking of going to 1x10 with a 34T up front. Anyhow, back to your thread lol.....
    If you usually stay in the 30T ring then I would probably go with the 38/24 and the 11-36 like you were thinking. Terrain is fairly mellow here in SE Texas so I've never gotten out of the 38T ring, so my input on the climbs wouldn't be worth a grain of salt.
    Your FD choice is fine, just whichever style matches your bike's mount.
    For the RD, I would get the shadow plus if you can. I have the 786 GS and the clutch feature has eliminated chainslap when going over "rooty" sections of the trail, so I'd definitely recommend it. Before, with the X9, you would constantly hear the chain slapping the chain stay protector.
    As for chains, just make sure it's a 10sp chain, SLX/XT/XTR really shouldn't matter too much besides grams. For the shifters, my XT work a lot better than the old X7. A lot crisper and faster. Again just be sure they're 10sp. If you're also getting/or have i-spec compatible brakes you can adapter the shifters to mount up with the brakes for a single clamp on the bars. It actually looks pretty cool and cleans up the bars a little or gives you room in case you want to run a dropper post or bell, etc.
    Great choice in the new upgrade, I'm sure you're going to love it. I know I sure as hell do!
    Thank you very much for your kind help. You cleared all my doubts with one exception. What about the rear derailleur size? Should I go with small or large with a 24/38 crank and a 11-36 cassette?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KTM ULTRA 1964 - Strava

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thank you very much for your kind help. You cleared all my doubts with one exception. What about the rear derailleur size? Should I go with small or large with a 24/38 crank and a 11-36 cassette?

Whoops, sorry yeah forgot about that. When I was buying my parts they only had the 11-34 and the GS in-stock. I believe the GS is good for 34/36T max. If you ever think you want to go 1x10/1x11 with a 42T cog out back, definitely get the SGS (long cage). It won't hurt to get the SGS with the 11-36 either. I don't know the exact specs but I doubt you're really giving up much 'ground clearance' with the longer cage, but you have the option to run a 42T later on. I'm stuck with the range I'm running now, fortunately we don't have monster climbs were I can really justify a 42T besides for looks.
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I currently ride a 40-30-22 Deore crank with a 11-36 Deore cassette.

I'm having a hard time to choose which groupset to buy. I'm going to buy it from this link bellow.

Shimano XT 785 Groupset 2x10-speed black | buy | Wheels for Bikes - Onlineshop Action Sports

Should I get a 2x10 crank with 38/24, 38/26 or 40/28? I know mine is currently 175 mm so I guess I should stick with this size right?

As for the front derailleur, I'm going for the M-786 Down-Swing just like my current one. The difference is that mine is a Deore for a 3x10 transmission.

My biggest doubt is with the rear derailleur. Should I choose long or short cage? There's no option for medium. I can choose from the list bellow. Which one should I get?

Shimano XT RD-M781 Shadow SGS long cage
    Shimano XT RD-M781 Shadow GS short cage
    Shimano XT RD-M786 Shadow RD+ SGS long cage
    Shimano XT RD-M786 Shadow RD+ GS short cage

Which one should I choose?

Next is the gear shifters. I'm choosing the Shimano XT Rapidfire Plus SL-M780 2-/3 x 10. I guess these are the right ones.

Then comes the cassette. I dont know if I should get a 11-32, 11-34 or 11-36.

Last but not least is the XT chain. Here I only have 1 choice so I guess that's the right chain.

On my rides I do tend to do a little bit of high speeds and steep climbs. I know that I will lose some high end speed and some "lightness" in the granny gear but I guess that's the little price you pay for a simpler 2x10 gear system.

I'm asking for help because I see a lot of Shimano components, all of them with different references and don't know the differences between them.
    In my humble opinion, I guess I'll be well served with the 38/24 crank and a 11-36 cassette. But I can be wrong. My current cassette is a 11-36 too and I feel fine using a 40-30-22 crank.

I'm choosing the 38-24 to come closer to the old 40 and with the old 22. Is this a logic thought? I'm a bit lost here...

Thank you for the help!
    You need to do some more research for yourself or just let the lbs do the work for you since you obviously have no clue what you're talking about

mtbr member

The GS (medium) cage has a 35T capacity. With 24/38 up front and 11-36 in the back you'll need 39T capacity, so stick with the SGS (long) cage, which has 43T capacity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    Whoops, sorry yeah forgot about that. When I was buying my parts they only had the 11-34 and the GS in-stock. I believe the GS is good for 34/36T max. If you ever think you want to go 1x10/1x11 with a 42T cog out back, definitely get the SGS (long cage). It won't hurt to get the SGS with the 11-36 either. I don't know the exact specs but I doubt you're really giving up much 'ground clearance' with the longer cage, but you have the option to run a 42T later on. I'm stuck with the range I'm running now, fortunately we don't have monster climbs were I can really justify a 42T besides for looks.
    None of the 10 speed Shimano derailleurs are rated for over a 36T cog in the cassette. Many people have had success using them with 40 and 42T expander cogs, but Shimano doesn't support it. That said, the GS cage has plenty of capacity for a 1x10 or 1x11 setup.