mtbr member

Upgrading 14' Trek Fuel EX8 triple chainring

Hello all,

I have a 14' Trek Fuel EX8 with a Shimano M552, 42/32/24 chainring and a Shimano HG62 11-36, 10 speed cassette. I'd like to upgrade to a 1x setup and I'm looking for suggestions. My Farley has a 1X11 Sram GX and it works well. I've done a little reading on the SRAM Eagle and it looks interesting. I'd like to keep costs down as much as possible. Any suggestions for a decent 1x setup that won't break the bank?

Thanks
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

since 4/10/2009
    Buy a narrow-wide chainring that'll fit your current crank, a wider range 10spd cassette, a fresh chain, and possibly a Rad cage from oneup and/or a goatlink from wolftooth.

Is that "not breaking the bank" enough for you?

mtbr member
    Well, first up I'd start with the front and just buy a 104 BCD 28, 30 or 32t NW ring, will work with any speed you decide to go with - I'd start with a 30t. Next figure out which system you want to go with, Shimano or SRAM, if SRAM note you'll need an XD driver freehub unless you go with a heavier NX cassette that fits a normal 8/9/10spd freehub. Then you'll need a shifter, rear derailleur and chain, that's it.

Alternately if you wanted to save money, you could just buy an expander cog, new 11spd Shimano RD and that's it as the 11spd RD will work just fine with the 10spd shifter and cassette. Not a good option if you've never replaced any of your drivetrain, as it's most likely due to be replaced, so could as well go all in to the new stuff
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just had a local bike shop just convert my 2016 Fuel EX 8 2x10 to Sram 1x12. Used the GX Boost crank with dub lower, 12 speed chain, deraileur and shifter along with the NX cassette.
    I wanted to stay away from a mix-match type set up. I know many have made this work, but I just want to go ride with the little time I have to ride. I haven't had time to go for a ride but around the parking lot is shifts pretty sweet. Just my .02

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 special View Post
    I just had a local bike shop just convert my 2016 Fuel EX 8 2x10 to Sram 1x12. Used the GX Boost crank with dub lower, 12 speed chain, deraileur and shifter along with the NX cassette.
    I wanted to stay away from a mix-match type set up. I know many have made this work, but I just want to go ride with the little time I have to ride. I haven't had time to go for a ride but around the parking lot is shifts pretty sweet. Just my .02
    mixing brands on drivetrain components does not necessarily mean fiddly setups or unreliable over the long term.

I use a Race Face crank and chainring, Shimano shifter and derailleur, SRAM chain (currently, but I will use pretty much whatever brand), and a Sunrace cassette. I'm on 11spd, with no desire for 12. It all works a treat. Probably the most reliable drivetrain I've ever had, honestly. Sunrace cassette is really inexpensive and works great. Only drawback is that it's a little heavier, but not too different from a Shimano XT (and better gaps between cogs than a Shimano XT cassette). In short, I'm saying there's a lot of stuff that works together seamlessly that you don't have to worry about.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    Hello all,

Any suggestions for a decent 1x setup that won't break the bank?

Thanks
    Yes, leave the chain in the middle ring and only shift the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Buy a narrow-wide chainring that'll fit your current crank, a wider range 10spd cassette, a fresh chain, and possibly a Rad cage from oneup and/or a goatlink from wolftooth.

Is that "not breaking the bank" enough for you?
    Thank you, this sounds like just the ticket. I've been wanting to try out an oval chainring and this seems like the perfect time.

Appreciate all the help.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8