No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Unusual Eagle shifting issue, cassette

Unusual situation and I'll try to encapsulate fully.

Two different bikes, one new with GX Eagle, one older with XO1 Eagle that has a bit of mileage on it.

Recently, the XO1 bike began exhibiting some minor shifting issues, mostly in the middle gear ranges (cogs 5 to 7 from the granny). Symptoms are not wanting to shift into or out of those gears; i.e., taking two shifts to get from 4 to 5, etc. Otherwise, shifting is flawless, chainlink is good, hanger not bent, B-tension and cable tension are good.

I replaced the chain and the cable. I adjusted the drivetrain and then the best local mechanic I know did the same.

Here's the interesting part. I swapped the wheels between bikes and didn't swap cassettes. Thus, the newer GX bike ended up with the older XO1 cassette.

Guess what? The perfectly shifting new GX bike developed exactly the same shifting issue.

I'm rarely the smartest guy in the room, but seems that the cassette is the issue since no other variable changed.

Visual inspection shows no obvious issues or damage on the affected cogs or any other for that matter. Cassette is tight, no wobble. Thoughts?
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What is a "bit of mileage"? Sounds like it's time for a new cassette.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I mean it's got some mileage on it, couldn't say exactly as I've swapped it between several times. Obviously, I'm trying not to buy a new cassette if I don't have to. I've worn out cassettes before and you could visually tell they were toast. This cassette "looks" almost perfect.

mtbr member
    It could still potentially be something in your hub or freehub even though it feels tight. You could switch cassettes around and see if the problem fallows the cassette or the hub, then you'd know. If you spend a lot of time in and out of those gears the shift ramps could be worn while the cassette looks fine otherwise. Or perhaps a slightly bent tooth but switching the cassettes around could help narrow it down further.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Good point. I inspected for bent teeth and didn’t find anything. Shift ramp idea is good; I guess there’s no way to see that?