Truvativ Stylo Crank / BB Seizing When Torqued- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Truvativ Stylo Crank / BB Seizing When Torqued

I'm experiencing a strange issue with my 2.5 year old Truvativ Stylo Crankset and GXP BB that I transfered from one frame to another (same BB shell width).

Everything was going fine until I tightened the 8mm spindle bolt on the non-drive side. Even with a minimal amount of torque, the cranks wouldn't spin. After greasing and re-greasing didn't solve the problem, I replaced the BB with new cups, knowing that the GXP cups don't have the best reputation for durability.

However, even with new cups, I experienced the same problem. I backed the bolt off just enough to be able to spin the cranks and went for a ride. Things were fine for a couple of miles, and then suddenly it seized up. I turns out that the crank bolt was tightening itself to the point that I couldn't spin the cranks. This happened a couple more times during the ride.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'm tempted to replace the whole setup with Shimanos, but didn't want to give up quite yet.
    Last edited by surlyjackalope; 04-04-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: typo

Former Bike Wrench
    Your 100% sure you have the same BB shell width?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Your 100% sure you have the same BB shell width?
    +1. If your new shell is 73mm and you used spacers, that would explain it.

Or, if your new shell is 68mm and you put both spacers on one side rather than one on each side.

The usual problem you hear about with GXP is just the opposite: a loose, creaking and wobbling crank by failing to seat the spindle on the drive side bearing, even though the crank bolt is properly torqued.

So too tight figures to be a spacer issue.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Old shell was 73 and new shell is 73 with the Niner Biocentric EBB inserts. The EBB didn't budge and the chain tension isn't too tight.

No spacers on either side.

Never trust a fart
    Pictures of both drive and non-drive sides with crank installed?

mtbr member
    If I installed BB cups for a 68 mm shell on a 73 mm shell without spacers, would that account for the problem? When I bought the new cups from the shop, he said they were for a 73 mm shell, but they were out of the box, so I can't be sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The cups are the same. The difference is the spacers. for 73mm you would just use 1 spacer on the drive side. But that would not make the bb bind. You could get away without the spacer on the drive side even because the drive side is a floating bearing. there is a lot of variance as to where it can be.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by FoCo29er
    The cups are the same. The difference is the spacers. for 73mm you would just use 1 spacer on the drive side. But that would not make the bb bind. You could get away without the spacer on the drive side even because the drive side is a floating bearing. there is a lot of variance as to where it can be.
    Not on GXP...no spacers for 73mm

Members who have read this thread: 0