mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Trek/Bontrager Tubeless Setup Question

Hello,

Yesterday I went to the Trek Store near Chicago and purchased the TLR valves and some TLR sealant. I have a Trek 2015 Fuel EX8 with Duster Elite rims with strips installed from factory and XR3 expert tires that are not TLR rated. I'm sure they are trying to save a couple bucks installing the strips on the rims and equip the bike with non TLR tires. The bike mechanic at Trek was insistent that I could not get the tire seated with a floor pump with my current tires or TLR rated for that matter. Well I gave the front tire a try and it seated with few nice loud snaps after pumping like a madman, added the sealant and its holding air perfectly. I know the TLR tire have a beefier sidewall and bead but wanted to try tubeless and not have to discard perfectly good tires. What I need to know is will this tire hold up or come flying off the rim?

Happy Turkey Day!

Kick Start My Heart
    All that stuff works together, and pretty much what I did on my 2013 EX8. Floor pump was no big deal, pump, pump, pump, pop!
    The tires I used were non-TLR, and I never rode them. Why? I was losing a lot of air and gave up and went back to tubes. My sidewalls were porous from the riding I do, lots of sidewall scrapes and minor tears from rockgardens. I think that actual TLR tires would have been fine, and I have read nons work as well. They won't fly off or anything, you should be good.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    It wasn't the outside sidewall wear that made them porous, it's because tubeless ready tires have a layer of rubber on the inside to help seal better and regular tires don't. You can get regular tires to seat without any sealant in them, how well they hold air is where the difference lies.

Some non-tubeless tires work better than others, not worth the few bucks saved to gamble on getting a good tire or not, IMO. Tubeless tires always seal.

meow meow
    xr3 expert tires are tlr, the only difference between them and the team is a 60 vs 120 tip respectively. sound like a dishonest/ clueless mechanic.

Kick Start My Heart

Trek/Bontrager Tubeless Setup Question

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    xr3 expert tires are tlr, the only difference between them and the team is a 60 vs 120 tip respectively. sound like a dishonest/ clueless mechanic.
    Careful, unless they say TLR on the side, they aren't TLR. I had this out with Bontrager customer service. I thought that they all were, you have to check.
    -edit - the OE tires on my bike were XR3 Expert, and the bike was sold in the literature as 'tubeless ready',

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davez26; 11-27-2015 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    There are no TLR markings on my tires. Looked at new Stache with same tire and rims but TLR markings on sidewalls. Setup front tire with sealant and it's holding air but I'm going to buy a TLR rated tire to ease my mind at least on the front.

Magically Delicious
    Be careful of everything you might hear.

I have many miles and have installed many Tubeless Ready and non-Tubeless ready tires with success. I have never had any issues with non-tubeless ready tires mounting and sealing as a tubeless tire. If I experienced sidewalls or beads that demonstrated sealing issues, I would just add a little extra Stan's (or whatever I had at the moment), mount and air to maximum pressure (whether a limitation of the rim or the tire) and slosh the sealant over the bead and sidewalls. Usually everything sealed in minutes.

As for blowing a tire from the rim. That's never happened to me. I have burped a few times on hard impacts or fast corners, but that's the limit of my problems. This is just my story and not a recommendation for anyone using a tire that you're not comfortable with using if not TLR.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the replies. Back tire needed a bit more Bontrager sealant and it sealed up nicely.