mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Top Speed SRAM X01

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an answer as to what the max speed at 100-120 strokes per minute is if you are riding a 27.5" mtb with a SRAM 32T and 11-42 cassette. I enjoy riding to my local trails and with my current bike I reach speeds up to ~35 mph in the canyons leading up to the trails.

I know there are a few calculators out there but I was hoping a few of you would have some real world experience to backup the calculated values.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You don't need real world verification of multiplication, that's one of the big items in the "Good" column for math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You will not have enough gear. I'm running a 36t which is the largest available XT chainring for the 1x11 from any vendor (I am running XX1 on another bike). SRAM has options up to 40 or 42t if I'm not mistaken so at least you have the option. Bottom line though, is that your 32t will be anemic on the faster sections.

See my comments throughout this thread here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...963163-14.html
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    So even a 36t is not enough for 35mph? The calculators say with a 36t and 11-42 that 35mph requires a cadence of 120. I've never measured my cadence but I assume 120 is not sustainable for very long if you are an average rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I love my triple.
    Yummm 44-11 for those 40+mph runs.
    Back to your regularly scheduled program....

You need 1x, front derailleurs suck,
    You need 1x, front derailleurs suck!

mtbr member
    Doesn't X01 have a 10t? With a 10t you could definitely hit 35mph on a 32 front ring, you'd have to spin @ 130 which isn't sustainable for long but then again neither are those kind of speeds.

On a 32/11 combo you would struggle for sure. 36/11 is about the same as 32/10 so you could get there with the 36t.

Formerly of Kent
    I'd like to see a "mountain bike" trail where you are hitting 35mph and are actually capable of pedaling for any significant amount of time without killing yourself.

I'm fairly certain such a beast doesn't exist.
    Death from Below.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielus View Post
    I love my triple.
    Yummm 44-11 for those 40+mph runs.
    Back to your regularly scheduled program....

You need 1x, front derailleurs suck!
    I would love to know what trail this is on. Please share.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'd like to see a "mountain bike" trail where you are hitting 35mph and are actually capable of pedaling for any significant amount of time without killing yourself.

Easy enough to post the trail info, I would love to see videos as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I didn't realize that it was a 10-42. With a 36t its does indeed seem possible to maintain 35mph for short periods of time.

Also I said I go 35mph in the canyons meaning on paved roads not on trails or even firer roads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I would love to know what trail this is on. Please share.
    Same trails you probably ride but you're pushing that hamster gear.
    Enjoy...
    Last edited by Gabrielus; 12-03-2015 at 08:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Are you actually pedaling when you're going 35mph? If not, it doesn't matter...

I use a 30 ring so I top out at a comfortable cadence in the mid-high 20's, which only really matters on the road between trails. If I'm going 30mph+ on a trail, chances are I'm not pedaling anymore.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Same trails you probably ride but you're pushing that hamster gear.
    Enjoy...
    Well since you're in Wisconsin and I'm in BC I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ha! since you don't really know where I live I doubt it too. ( the Wisconsin thing was a joke between a friend) You can't always believe what you read on the internet.

Seriously, get out a little, and out of those groomed trails and come to Colorado. Plenty of mountains to go 40mph plus. Also go to Cali. plenty of 40mph runs there too. Too many to list, ever been to Mammoth? I go there a few times a year.

There's some big chainrings there...

LEGENDS OF THE KAMIKAZE PHOTO GALLERY - Brian Lopes Takes the Win! - Ian Collins - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

I've been to BC and they're a different kind of trail. Mt biking is awesome because of the variety of trails, but you can't possibly believe that what you put on YOUR bike is going to work for others in different parts of the world?

Really?
    Mammoth, where "Racers reach speeds close to 60 miles per hour on the loose gravel and pumice."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Are you actually pedaling when you're going 35mph?
    If you're not pedaling, you're not going fast enough!

mtbr member
    If you guys are actually hitting 35-40 mph on trails that is some ridiculous speed! I enjoy watching world cup downhill races and they always pick a fast section on the course and clock everyones speed, and usually it's somewhere around 50-65 kph (30-45mph). Those dudes are pros going flat out on really steep terrain, and on the fastest sections they're generally not pedaling.

Formerly of Kent
    Ha! since you don't really know where I live I doubt it too. ( the Wisconsin thing was a joke between a friend) You can't always believe what you read on the internet.

Seriously, get out a little, and out of those groomed trails and come to Colorado. Plenty of mountains to go 40mph plus. Also go to Cali. plenty of 40mph runs there too. Too many to list, ever been to Mammoth? I go there a few times a year.

There's some big chainrings there...

LEGENDS OF THE KAMIKAZE PHOTO GALLERY - Brian Lopes Takes the Win! - Ian Collins - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

I've been to BC and they're a different kind of trail. Mt biking is awesome because of the variety of trails, but you can't possibly believe that what you put on YOUR bike is going to work for others in different parts of the world?

Really?
    Mammoth, where "Racers reach speeds close to 60 miles per hour on the loose gravel and pumice."
    Show me someone pedalling a bike 60mph on single track. Video, preferably.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    The Mammoth Kamikaze is a fireroad...and at 40mph...I wasn't pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    If you guys are actually hitting 35-40 mph on trails that is some ridiculous speed! I enjoy watching world cup downhill races and they always pick a fast section on the course and clock everyones speed, and usually it's somewhere around 50-65 kph (30-45mph). Those dudes are pros going flat out on really steep terrain, and on the fastest sections they're generally not pedaling.
    That's because they're geared for a "course" not an open trail. They pick the gear where they will be able to generate the fasted AVERGE throughout the course. They can't gear for the fastest section because they run a limited set of cogs/gears.
    Not dropping chain is a priority on a TIMED downhill event so they make sure that the single chainring won't drop and pick the best gear compromise. Are they still running 8-9 speed rear cogs?

Many people are riding all day, are on different kinds of trails and may need a wider gear spread.

mtbr member
    They wouldn't be going any faster no matter what their gearing, Gwin won Val di Sole, and also had the fastest time in the speed trap with no gears at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Show me someone pedalling a bike 60mph on single track. Video, preferably.

Now it's 60mph? LOL
    Well, first you wanted to see a trail where folks are hitting 35mph and not killing themselves.

They may not be pedaling at 60 but are pedaling past 40 for sure. There are plenty other trails. Come to Colorado or get to Cali. to put your triples to work. As far as video, you have google it's not too tough to find plenty of Mammoth DH videos,

Enjoy...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The Mammoth Kamikaze is a fireroad....
    Yup

and at 40mph...I wasn't pedaling.
    That's YOUR decision. Or maybe your running one of those new fangled 1x thingies

mtbr member
    Cool story bro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cool story bro.

Yeah, Enduro on bro...

Formerly of Kent
    It's 60mph because YOU said 60mph.

I don't understand how that is hard to comprehend.

I don't race on fire roads, though, so it's irrelevant to me.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I don't understand how that is hard to comprehend.
    You seem to be confused, OP asked for top speed gearing where you replied

I gave you just one trail where people are not only hitting 35mph but 60mph. Now you are having a hard time comprehending the relation between your question asking where people are going over 35mph and my answer?

Hmmm.... from your post count I can see you spend a lot of time here. I spend more time riding, which reminds me. It's time to go for a ride!

OP has his solution, and you have your answer.

Enjoy.....

Formerly of Kent
    A fire road is not a trail.

Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent

I gave you just one trail where people are not only hitting 35mph but 60mph. Now you are having a hard time comprehending the relation between your question asking where people are going over 35mph and my answer?

Hmmm.... from your post count I can see you spend a lot of time here. I spend more time riding, which reminds me. It's time to go for a ride!

Enjoy.....
    I don't sleep much.

I also don't use the words fire road and trail interchangeably.

And, I ride a wee bit, too.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    The guys hitting 50+ mph are on modified chainring setups specifically to run the Kamikaze. They are not taking their 3x bikes up there and doing those kinds of speeds. I've seen 50T chainrings drilled to fit 104 cranks.

Here is the KOM's segment on the Kamikaze. His average speed is 40mph. His max speed was 54.4. I'd like to see you go faster by pedaling your triple.

https://www.strava.com/activities/400118733#9677930876

mtbr member
    They may not be pedaling at 60 but are pedaling past 40 for sure.
    Hmm, I'm skeptical. This is what 43mph looks like-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWnbiAPISmg

Those guys are pushing the equivalent of about a 42/11 gear and when they hit 40+ they're spinning around 150 rpm, on a glass smooth surface. I am doubtful that many could achieve that on rugged terrain.

NedwannaB

Enjoy.....
    "Cali"? Triple? What a troll.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As someone who bailed on this forum 10+ years because of the childish BS that seemed to permeate every thread and who only recently came back to try to "learn" something new, I'm so glad to see that none of that childish sh*t happens anymore.

The thread I alluded to in post #2 was full of it as well.

Some things never changed I guess.

OP, good luck with your build/ride. 1x is not the ideal setup for some folks.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    I don't know about you guys, but I cannot hold 35 mph on a road bike for too long (riding solo). So what is the point of being able to reach 35 mph for 30-60 seconds on a mountain bike on a road?

For off road, trail riding, this is so irrelevant, that the discussion borders on the absurd, just as Le Duke indicated.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I cannot hold 35 mph on a road bike for too long (riding solo). So what is the point of being able to reach 35 mph for 30-60 seconds on a mountain bike on a road?

For off road, trail riding, this is so irrelevant, that the discussion borders on the absurd, just as Le Duke indicated.

Well sometimes I ride my mtb exclusively on paved surfaces in the canyons like Mulholland drive where there are many long sections of road where I am traveling 30-35mph. I asked my original question because I was skeptical about a 1X being able to provide a gear ratio capable of being rideable at those speeds which I know mtb typically never reach.

Anyways, my question has been answered and the solution to the main point of this thread is use a 36t and a 10-42 cassette and you will have a theoretical top speed that is nearly the same as a typical triple or double. Yes, you'll lose a little on the low end for steep climbs but in my situation it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the input

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by ad93 View Post
    Well sometimes I ride my mtb exclusively on paved surfaces in the canyons like Mulholland drive where there are many long sections of road where I am traveling 30-35mph. I asked my original question because I was skeptical about a 1X being able to provide a gear ratio capable of being rideable at those speeds which I know mtb typically never reach.

Anyways, my question has been answered and the solution to the main point of this thread is use a 36t and a 10-42 cassette and you will have a theoretical top speed that is nearly the same as a typical triple or double. Yes, you'll lose a little on the low end for steep climbs but in my situation it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the input
    Based on your comment about hitting those speeds getting to your trails "down in the canyons" to me says it's a pretty fair drop to where you hit dirt. Curious to what the stats are on ascending portion of your rides to gauge what you're up against with the 36 ring. Don't recall seeing anything mentioned on trail topography or what gearing you'd normally use on your 2x/3x? for that. Kudos may be in order...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Based on your comment about hitting those speeds getting to your trails "down in the canyons" to me says it's a pretty fair drop to where you hit dirt. Curious to what the stats are on ascending portion of your rides to gauge what you're up against with the 36 ring. Don't recall seeing anything mentioned on trail topography or what gearing you'd normally use on your 2x/3x? for that. Kudos may be in order...

The ascending portion is about 1000 feet and it is all fire road and paved streets. I use the 32 middle ring and the middle gears on my 11-36 cassette for the majority of the climb up. For the steepest section I stick with the 32 middle ring and drop the cassette down to the 28 or 32 but typically never use the lowest 36 gear. I run a 3X but I have only used the granny gear in a few situations over the three years I've owned my bike so I could do without it.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by ad93 View Post
    The ascending portion is about 1000 feet and it is all fire road and paved streets. I use the 32 middle ring and the middle gears on my 11-36 cassette for the majority of the climb up. For the steepest section I stick with the 32 middle ring and drop the cassette down to the 28 or 32 but typically never use the lowest 36 gear. I run a 3X but I have only used the granny gear in a few situations over the three years I've owned my bike so I could do without it.
    Sounds like you've got your fearing set.