Too much spindle length on non-drive side?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Too much spindle length on non-drive side?

I'm replacing a sealed BB on my Minnesota 3.0 fatbike. The stock BB seems to be 100 x 154ish or so - closest I could find for an inexpensive sealed BB was an Origin8 100 x 164.

The stock BB had 2 spacers on the drive side (~4-5mm) - so basically the Origin8 BB will end up just about lined up where the stock one was on the drive side - however, the non-drive side spindle will stick out about 9-10mm more than the stock one did because the spindle will essentially be installed symmetrically relative to the BB frame shell (i.e., no spacers). Will this present an major issue? The non-drive side looks like it sticks out a crazy amount (see pic). I have about 13mm from the inside of the crank arm to the chainstay. I'm less concerned about wearing the BB down prematurely (they're pretty cheap), but worried about having some sort of weird bow-legged pedal thing going, or suffering some strange (bike-related) performance issues due to the increased Q factor.

If running the Origin8 is a bad idea, anyone know of an alternative? Origin8 sells a 137.5 version, but I think that will be way too short. I also thought of maybe running 1 spacer on the drive side (if it doesn't impact the chainline) to kind of split the difference too.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Too much spindle length on non-drive side?-img_3233.jpg  

Last edited by salinity; 2 Days Ago at 09:03 AM. Reason: clarity