Time vs Shimano, Freeride Clipless vs regular Clipless- Mtbr.com

Jun 2008

Time vs Shimano, Freeride Clipless vs regular Clipless

When they say that Time have more lateral float, what do they mean? More possible side to side movement before disengagement? Or more pronation and supination possible? I'm confused.

I did ride with Time ATAC 12 years ago but can't remember what the answer is, though I do remember them being the most comfrotable clipless pedal I have ever used. I do recall having more side to side foot movement. Is this what they call lateral float?

Hence I am thinking of trying them again.. speciafically the freeride version - the control z... anyone have these? They look more substantial than the plastic bodied Shimano DX.... but would like to hear whether the cage is useful or a hinderance.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am running the Zs (2 years on them after 4 on the ATACs)...they feel great and the platform is good for:
    1. Times when you cannot get clipped in fast enough (on ups/downs)
    2. Pedalin' around the hood in flipflops.

I don't think they offer any more grip than the DX or CBs - if you want real flats, you have to get real flats.
    I have flats on a play HT....love my Times on the trail bike. Never serviced a pair, never broken them, only a handful of "forced unclips" from rock strikes over 6 years.

mtbr member
    Never ridden any Shimano but I've ridden almost everything by Crank Brothers and Time. I'm on the Time Z pedals now for about a season and they are fantastic. Before that I was on the XS pedals which were decent but too XC orientated to survive my thrashing. The Z's are some tough pedals and it's nice having the support of a platform as well. After a long day of harsher riding the XS pedals would make my feet and ankles hurt. With the Z's that pain is all gone. My bike has a real low BB so I do end up smashing pedals on rock gardens but I've learned to time things better to get around that. I didn't smash the XS pedals as much but when I did hit them they would damage and eventually break. Go for the Z's, you'll be glad you did.

I never had any luck with Crank Bros. pedals. They felt good clipping in but they were so fragile. I've broken so many pairs of CB pedals it's silly.

Lot's of riders in my area ride Shimano but they are always complaining about them. I have no complaints with the Times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Time, no need to say more.

Saving lives with knives.
    Lateral float is the ability to move your feet in and out with respect to cranks (effectively a variable Q factor). Time (and egg beaters to a lesser degree) allow a few mm of lateral float. Shimano pedals do not have any appreciable lateral float. This is not to be confused with the angle of release (also referred to as angular float) which is how far you must rotate your foot in order to disengage from the pedal. Just about all pedals on the market have some degree of this and in most cases it can be adjusted by using different types of cleats. Pronation & Supination are another issue entirely, and no pedal that I know of is designed to allow for float in that plane. In short if you are looking for lateral float, Time pedals are the way to go
    Formerly known as iceaxe

local trails rider
    I thought my Time ATAC XS were a great pedal.... then I picked up a pair of ROC ATAC (Carbon) for my new bike. Wow! It is a little bigger than the ATAC but the main difference for me is that the shape guides my shoe into the mechanism just right.

If you don't really need a platform, take a look at the ROC ATAC models.

Members who have read this thread: 0