Switching between 10-51 and 10-50 or 10-52 cassette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Switching between 10-51 and 10-50 or 10-52 cassette

I am upgrading my drivetrain from a SRAM 11-speed to Shimano 12-speed. I am getting a MicroSpline freehub for my main set of wheels, and will use a Shimano 10-51 cassette. However, I have another set of wheels with an XD freehub, and they can't be converted to MicroSpline. I was planning to get a SRAM or Garbaruk 12-speed cassette for those. These are available in either 10-50 or 10-52. I'd like to be able to swap the wheels without having to do derailleur adjustments. Would one size work better than the other? I'm thinking that going from the 10-51 to 10-50 might be less likely to need a B-screw adjustment than going to a 10-52. Has anyone here done this and can comment?

since 4/10/2009
    Generally speaking, if you want to swap wheels without derailleur adjustments, you need to use the same cassette. Also, it may be necessary to use cassette spacers on one of the wheels to get the horizontal alignment exact so your limit adjustments are also exact.

I'm not sure you'd be able to be able to do this at all adjustment-free. Both the Shimano and SRAM 12spd derailleurs are pretty particular about b-screw adjustments. Granted, going 1 tooth either direction is small, but it'll probably be enough to require a partial turn of the adjuster to get smooth shifting.

Plus, I have a feeling that the very slight differences between the Shimano cassette and the SRAM-compatible cassettes will require additional adjustment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    My 2 sets of wheels currently have a SRAM XX1 11-speed cassette (10-42t) and a Garbaruk 11-speed (10-48t), and I don't have to adjust anything, and it shifts just as well on either cassette. I realize that 12-speed is probably more finicky though. The one thing I do have to adjust is the brake centering.

I guess if I have to do a quick b-screw adjustment that's not a big deal, especially after I figure out how much to turn it to go from 51t to 52t.

mtbr member
    The difference in radius between cogs one with one tooth difference is 2mm. I'd split the difference. Set the B screw so that the pulley is 1mm closer than spec to the larger one and it'll be 1mm further than spec for the smaller one. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to tell the difference in shifting. Changing between wheels it's not uncommon to need a few clicks one way or the other on the cable tension.

For brakes, there are shims available for either 6 bolt or center lock. Set the caliper for the one that's furthest out and shim the other to the same distance.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I see that DT Swiss now makes a Micro Spline freehub body for their 3-pawl hubs. Does anyone know if these will fit the Roval Traverse hubs with the DT 360 internals? If so, then I could use Shimano 12-speed cassettes on both wheel sets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Switching between 10-51 and 10-50 or 10-52 cassette-3pawl-microspline.jpg  

Switching between 10-51 and 10-50 or 10-52 cassette-rovalhub.jpg