Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swoodbrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    948

    Switch from round to oval - longer, shorter, equal length chain?

    Going from 1x12, round 32t chainring to a 32t wolf tooth elliptical chainring, how should the new chain length compare to old - longer, shorter, same?

  2. #2
    ultra member
    Reputation: briantortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    175
    Same. No more teeth will be engaged at the same time when comparing oval and circular rings.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

  3. #3
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,523
    I am trying the new RaceFace oval ring on my new hardtail, that I have not yet picked up from the LBS after major surgery. First oval ring for me. Not sure what to expect, except that riding it back to back with my other bikes is likely going to be a bit freaky.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by briantortilla View Post
    Same. No more teeth will be engaged at the same time when comparing oval and circular rings.
    Thx. Thatís what I suspect however I also had the thought that since a portion of the chainring will have a longer radius (actually, two parts), it will pull the chain farther forward from rear wheel, requiring the derailleur to pivot farther, which might require a longer chain. Know what I mean?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    129
    Please report back once you get some mileages in.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I am trying the new RaceFace oval ring on my new hardtail, that I have not yet picked up from the LBS after major surgery. First oval ring for me. Not sure what to expect, except that riding it back to back with my other bikes is likely going to be a bit freaky.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Wu-D View Post
    Thx. Thatís what I suspect however I also had the thought that since a portion of the chainring will have a longer radius (actually, two parts), it will pull the chain farther forward from rear wheel, requiring the derailleur to pivot farther, which might require a longer chain. Know what I mean?
    The chain goes half way around the ring irrespective of it's rotation. Half the ring always has 16 teeth so takes up the same length of chain. The included angle between the upper and lower run will change slightly but this has a very small effect on chain length.
    Do the math.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    Please report back once you get some mileages in.
    I have been riding both an Absolute Black oval 1x11 setup and a round ring on a fixed gear for a while, and the difference really is not too big to worry about at all. Iím riding flat pedals on the 1x11 and spd on the fixed gear, that seems to be a bigger difference than oval vs round chainring.

  8. #8
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Impetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by swoodbrn View Post
    Going from 1x12, round 32t chainring to a 32t wolf tooth elliptical chainring, how should the new chain length compare to old - longer, shorter, same?
    Same length. I've run an oval on a singlespeed for several years now exclusively. There's *a little* variation in chain tension, but not enough to concern anyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I am trying the new RaceFace oval ring on my new hardtail, that I have not yet picked up from the LBS after major surgery. First oval ring for me. Not sure what to expect, except that riding it back to back with my other bikes is likely going to be a bit freaky.
    I didn't find it 'freaky' at all. It had a moderately noticeable difference for about the length of the trailhead parkinglot, and after a mile on the trail where my attention was on riding and not my feet, I forgot about it....other than my legs felt fresher and stronger all day, and I was spinning tires in the kitty-litter less.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,805
    Same length chain ;-)

    'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    63
    So how is the new oval treating you? Thinking about changing from 32t round to 30 oval on an eagle setup. Hoping for a little additional drive on inclines.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    So how is the new oval treating you? Thinking about changing from 32t round to 30 oval on an eagle setup. Hoping for a little additional drive on inclines.
    I rode one before and liked it. I donít find there to be a huge difference but I did notice it when I got the new bike with the round on it. If you drop down to a 30t youíll definitely notice the climbability.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    So how is the new oval treating you? Thinking about changing from 32t round to 30 oval on an eagle setup. Hoping for a little additional drive on inclines.
    I would actually replace the 32t round with 32t OVAL if you want to make it easier to climb, it would feel like a 31 or so and still have the top end.
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    63
    Thanks for the info!

    Going to order one and then hope for better weather so I can ride with it.

Similar Threads

  1. To Oval or not to Oval?
    By big0mike in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-12-2018, 05:14 PM
  2. Oval to round to oval to round to...
    By Lenny7 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2015, 07:11 PM
  3. Edit: Dumb question, nevermind
    By trhoppe in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2014, 06:38 AM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 09:24 AM
  5. Equal work, equal pay?
    By Shakenbake in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 04:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 109

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.