Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 Quality and Durability- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206

    Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 Quality and Durability

    Hi,

    I'm considering this cassette for my next upgrade, but upon doing more research, i came across posts where people actually "bend" the largest cog due to pedaling force. Most of these posts are older, but obviously a concern.

    Can anyone with this cassette chime in on the long-term durability of the product?

    My other option is to get XD driver and use GX cassette. Currently using XT mech and shifter with NX cassette.
    Kona Process 153 29er

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    197
    MS8 is all steel, works good and strong

  3. #3
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,997
    I currently have 3 of them and have had several more on past bikes.

    Great cassette - especially for the price


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I currently have 3 of them and have had several more on past bikes.

    Great cassette - especially for the price

    just clarifying - you're referring to the MX8 right? with aluminum 46 cog?
    Kona Process 153 29er

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,316
    Some people will bend ANY cassette with alu cogs. If you're one of those, then stay with steel.

    There are two of the MX8 cassettes in my garage. One doesn't have much use, as it's on a secondary bike, but the other has some miles on it. I'm up to 855mi and it's still working well.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Some people will bend ANY cassette with alu cogs. If you're one of those, then stay with steel.

    There are two of the MX8 cassettes in my garage. One doesn't have much use, as it's on a secondary bike, but the other has some miles on it. I'm up to 855mi and it's still working well.
    Thanks - good to hear that. My only experience is with NX cassette, and since i'm getting a new wheelset, i'm contemplating either going the standard Hub with Sunrace or XD drive with GX cassette. While i can climb almost everything in my local trail with 42, the prospect of having a 46T bailout gear is tempting.
    Kona Process 153 29er

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    27,316
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    Thanks - good to hear that. My only experience is with NX cassette, and since i'm getting a new wheelset, i'm contemplating either going the standard Hub with Sunrace or XD drive with GX cassette. While i can climb almost everything in my local trail with 42, the prospect of having a 46T bailout gear is tempting.
    Only thing I'm not a fan of is that even the MX8 is kinda porky. But, the price is right to accept that.

    Where I live, everything is climbable (when I'm fresh) without using the 46t cog. But once I've put some miles in, or I'm near the top of a climb that's several miles long, and I'm tired, I'm glad to have it. I put a smaller chainring on several months ago, and I JUST realized last week that I'd been running my chain too long. But it was never a problem because I still don't ever use the 11t cog. So when I put on a fresh chain I fixed that. But I was amused. Even the 11-46 has more range than I use.

  8. #8
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,997
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    just clarifying - you're referring to the MX8 right? with aluminum 46 cog?
    Correct. 11-46 11speed with largest cog being alloy.

    They make an all steel cassette and I think they also make a cassette weíre the largest two cogs are alloy. I donít have experience with either of those.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TeamRWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,130
    Very happy with mine. Run it on all my bikes, no issues at all.

    Sent from my PHICOMM CLUE C230 using Tapatalk
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    Thanks all. Good to hear. Yeah, i'm not interested in getting the all steel one. As it is, the MX8 is pretty porky already.
    Kona Process 153 29er

  11. #11
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,593
    I've been running one MX8 for a solid 1400 miles of techy trail. An additional several hundred on the Shimano 11/46 as well before switching over to Sunrace for that 42T cog that Shimano lacks. Like Harold, I don't need that 46 a whole lot on my suspension bike. It runs flawlessly. I have one on my newer Karate Monkey 650Fatty also and it is flawless with a few hundred miles. That's my trail work bike so it runs a Robert Axle with a BoB Ibex trail and a rack on it over that back wheel. It gets the shit torqued out of it while under extreme load and I do run it in the 46 cog while towing and hammering up steep climbs. I'm doing that rather than pushing it up while I'm still able. 46T is plenty enough for my 57 y/o getaway sticks! Anything more seems silly at this point and I'll take up quilting when I can't pedal that anymore after dropping to a 28T chainring from my 30T oval.

    I'll note that I did try a Box 46T which is identical and made by Sunrace for Box and I could not for the life of me get that cassette to shift cleanly on any of my 2 geared mtb's which ALL sport Shimano XTR Shifter/Derailleur combos. No amount of tinkering or hanger adjustment with my new Park Tool could get it to stop making noise and being lazy on some shifts. None of my MX8's have had anything close to this issue on the same bikes. Just food for thought in case you run across one and are tempted.

    And btw, if you're running a Shimano freehub, I'd stick with it. I'm in the "XD Shmex-Dee" club with their limited offerings, super high cost. It seems silly to me to make such a conversion because the expense to convert coupled with the limited less expensive or stupid high dollar cost of a consumable cassette. If you need a 50T, Shimano is doing that now at an affordable price right out on the market. No hub conversion needed.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I've been running one MX8 for a solid 1400 miles of techy trail. An additional several hundred on the Shimano 11/46 as well before switching over to Sunrace for that 42T cog that Shimano lacks. Like Harold, I don't need that 46 a whole lot on my suspension bike. It runs flawlessly. I have one on my newer Karate Monkey 650Fatty also and it is flawless with a few hundred miles. That's my trail work bike so it runs a Robert Axle with a BoB Ibex trail and a rack on it over that back wheel. It gets the shit torqued out of it while under extreme load and I do run it in the 46 cog while towing and hammering up steep climbs. I'm doing that rather than pushing it up while I'm still able. 46T is plenty enough for my 57 y/o getaway sticks! Anything more seems silly at this point and I'll take up quilting when I can't pedal that anymore after dropping to a 28T chainring from my 30T oval.

    I'll note that I did try a Box 46T which is identical and made by Sunrace for Box and I could not for the life of me get that cassette to shift cleanly on any of my 2 geared mtb's which ALL sport Shimano XTR Shifter/Derailleur combos. No amount of tinkering or hanger adjustment with my new Park Tool could get it to stop making noise and being lazy on some shifts. None of my MX8's have had anything close to this issue on the same bikes. Just food for thought in case you run across one and are tempted.

    And btw, if you're running a Shimano freehub, I'd stick with it. I'm in the "XD Shmex-Dee" club with their limited offerings, super high cost. It seems silly to me to make such a conversion because the expense to convert coupled with the limited less expensive or stupid high dollar cost of a consumable cassette. If you need a 50T, Shimano is doing that now at an affordable price right out on the market. No hub conversion needed.
    Thanks. Yea, i can climb pretty much anything on my local trails with 42 (and 30 chainring), but like harold said, having that 46 when you're dog tired will definitely help. I did a nasty climb toward the end of my 2.5hr ride yesterday when i'm already tired. Made it up fine, but i paid for it with nasty cramp on my quads afterwards as i tried to get back to my car before running out of daylight. That wasn't fun. My guess is if i had the 46, i would've been completely fine. The climb just pushed me to overdrive i guess.

    Might give it a try while i still have my old wheelset. If i really like it, my new wheelset will be ordered with regular drive.

    BTW, you mentioned shimano has a 50t offering now? which was is that? i thought the new XTR is a 12 speed with a different hub standard?
    Kona Process 153 29er

  13. #13
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,593
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post

    BTW, you mentioned shimano has a 50t offering now? which was is that? i thought the new XTR is a 12 speed with a different hub standard?
    TBH, I hadn't read that deeply into it. Appealing because it was Shimano finally doing something to counter Eagle but I "skimmed" since I have no interest in a 50T anything so perhaps your right. I wasn't aware of a new hub. I guess I'll have to look closer and see what changed.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    One more question - does SRAM chain work well with this cassette? or should i get KMC instead? I'm currently using a brand new SRAM PC-X1 chain that i got when i installed XT mech a couple of weeks ago
    Kona Process 153 29er

  15. #15
    Rent this space for $
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,593
    I have always had good luck and smooth running with Sram chain but have no experience with it on the Sunrace. I run XT or XTR on my 2 geared bikes.

    My Karate Monkey had a KMC that came with it new. I ran that after converting from NX to XTR and Sunrace and that chain was very noisy and rough even though it was sized right. I pitched it and put on the XT and solved the issue.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    ok. I would hate buying another new chain since this SRAM one is brand new and i like how it shifts on NX cassette with XT mech. I guess i'll just have to find out. If anyone has experience with MX8 cassette using SRAM chain, please chime in
    Kona Process 153 29er

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    Also, for those who uses sunrace 11-46 with XT mech - do you think i need goatlink 11 to get everything working correctly? any difference with or without Goatlink 11 for this setup?
    Kona Process 153 29er

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    Also, for those who uses sunrace 11-46 with XT mech - do you think i need goatlink 11 to get everything working correctly? any difference with or without Goatlink 11 for this setup?
    No, do not need the goatlink.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,338
    I've run this cassette for the past 2 years or so with zero issues. I've only replaced mine due to wear, not to actually bending anything but I don't pedal mash on climbs or sprints. I have the Box version as well which I ride regularly with zero issues.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    206
    Great - one less thing to buy Thanks
    Kona Process 153 29er

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    73
    After one year and about 1000km it was time to replace my CSMX8. I did not bend the largest cog as it was already the thicker edition but instead 4th and 5th cog were bent a bit causing occasional problems. Also, 13t (10th) cog was slipping if I applied some power. Yes, I'm a heavier guy but still that's too short lifetime for my liking.

    Edit. Here's video of the wobble:
    https://youtu.be/hlpy73RAiG4

  22. #22
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12,169
    Ditto here. Plenty of miles on several of the SunRace cassettes, 9,10&11 spds! Just got a BOX Components (same as SR MX8)11/46t to replace the stock 11/42t NX cassette on my 5010.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    522
    Got a question for everyone here. I've searched around a bit, and didn't see this exact thing mentioned, so I thought I'd check in this thread first.

    I've got an 11 speed NX drivetrain, with the NX rear mech, and the typical 11-42 cassette. According to the SRAM website, the max cassette size for the rear mech is 42t.

    Has anyone confirmed that it actually works with the 46t Sunrace cassette? I'd love to upgrade to one eventually, but I'm just not sure it will work. I've seen references saying it works ok with the rear tension screw adjusted, but I've not really heard anything concrete.

    Like others here, the 11-42 NX cassette on my bike is fine for the most part, but at the end of longer climbs/rides, the 46t bailout would be nice.

    Thanks .

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneTrustMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Got a question for everyone here. I've searched around a bit, and didn't see this exact thing mentioned, so I thought I'd check in this thread first.

    I've got an 11 speed NX drivetrain, with the NX rear mech, and the typical 11-42 cassette. According to the SRAM website, the max cassette size for the rear mech is 42t.

    Has anyone confirmed that it actually works with the 46t Sunrace cassette? I'd love to upgrade to one eventually, but I'm just not sure it will work. I've seen references saying it works ok with the rear tension screw adjusted, but I've not really heard anything concrete.

    Like others here, the 11-42 NX cassette on my bike is fine for the most part, but at the end of longer climbs/rides, the 46t bailout would be nice.

    Thanks .
    It will work.
    I'm currently building a NX 11spd with a GX trigger and the 11-46 Sunrace.
    There a few guys who run the NX with a 11-50 which is kinda too muchin my opinion.
    But to each their own I guess.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrustMan View Post
    It will work.
    I'm currently building a NX 11spd with a GX trigger and the 11-46 Sunrace.
    There a few guys who run the NX with a 11-50 which is kinda too muchin my opinion.
    But to each their own I guess.
    Awesome, thanks for the info man.

    Most of what I found previously was saying it only worked with GX rear mechs, or other things like that. And when I checked SRAMs website, and the official support page for it says the max size was 42t, I got worried.

    Did you have to adjust the rear tension screw much? Or even potentially use a longer one?

    Or was it pretty much just swap it out/swap it in easy?

    Not worried about having to tune things after a cassette swap like that, just want to know if I need additional parts/etc.

    Thanks again .

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    650
    Nothing, sorry.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    33

    Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 Quality and Durability

    Quote Originally Posted by hece View Post
    After one year and about 1000km it was time to replace my CSMX8. I did not bend the largest cog as it was already the thicker edition but instead 4th and 5th cog were bent a bit causing occasional problems. Also, 13t (10th) cog was slipping if I applied some power. Yes, I'm a heavier guy but still that's too short lifetime for my liking.

    Edit. Here's video of the wobble:
    https://youtu.be/hlpy73RAiG4
    I had one of these a couple years back and the same thing happened after a month. SunRace sent me a new set of cogs(the bigger half). The cogs were aluminum and they gave me the option of an aluminum replacement or a I could wait a few weeks for a steel one. I opted for the aluminum, and a friend of mine has the cassette now and itís been worry free for a year.
    EDIT: Sorry, I should have specified, this was on there 10/42 cassette not the 11/46
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneTrustMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info man.

    Most of what I found previously was saying it only worked with GX rear mechs, or other things like that. And when I checked SRAMs website, and the official support page for it says the max size was 42t, I got worried.

    Did you have to adjust the rear tension screw much? Or even potentially use a longer one?

    Or was it pretty much just swap it out/swap it in easy?

    Not worried about having to tune things after a cassette swap like that, just want to know if I need additional parts/etc.

    Thanks again .
    I'm not done yet. Maybe Sunday if I find the time.
    I'm making a big overhaul of my hardtail. It gets DT spline E1900 wheels set up tubeless, a dropper post and the new drivetrain.

    But yes you need to adjust the B screw.
    The red Sram Eagle B-Screw tool works pretty great even for non Eagle stuff or other derailleurs, btw ;D

  29. #29
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    12,169
    Just put a BOX(SunRace)11/46t cassette on my 5010 with NX der. Working fine. Will be upgrading to a better tier shifter soon but for its quality not because of issue with the bigger cassette cog.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    152
    Anyone have a lead on a CSMX80 11-46?
    I can easily source a CSMX8 11-46 but I'd like to find a CSMX80 if possible.
    All I can find is the 11-50 version.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneTrustMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxMustang50 View Post
    Anyone have a lead on a CSMX80 11-46?
    I can easily source a CSMX8 11-46 but I'd like to find a CSMX80 if possible.
    All I can find is the 11-50 version.
    I think the CSMX80 is the 11-50 only.
    What you need is the CSMX8

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneTrustMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    405
    Today I was able to almost finish my bike build.
    Still a bit left to do.

    Put on the CSMX8 11-46 cassette.
    A Sram NX derailleur, GX trigger, GX 12 spd Eagle Chain and a Truvativ crank with a cheap chinese n/w 32t alloy ring. ( love those cheap rings as they work well and last long )

    But most important, I could finally ditch out my old Shimano Shadow derailleur.
    God I hated that thing. Shittiest rear mech ever.

    Adjusting was so easy and the red Sram Eagle tool worked great
    to find the right amount of B-screw.

    I have zero back pedal issues, all gears shift nice.
    The NX can handle the 46t with ease.
    Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 Quality and Durability-10.jpg
    Sunrace CSMX8 11-46 Quality and Durability-11.jpg

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    152
    So I heard back from Sunrace;
    Sorry for the 11-46 no one is carrying the CSMX80 here in North America, only the 11-50. You will only find the CSMX8 which is the exact same cassette but only has one aluminum low gear as opposed to two. Weight difference is minimal, CSMX80 11-46 464g vs CSMX8 11-46 485g.
    So they make an 80 in 11-46 but no one carries in North America.
    No big deal as I was torn about if I wanted the 40t to be aluminum or steel. I don't spend too much time in that cog, but maybe the extra durability will be worth the small weight penalty. I'm ordering the CSMX8 11-46 right now.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OneTrustMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    405
    Made a nice ride today with my new drivetrain.
    This 11-46 is just as good as the 11-50 I had back than.
    Quite and smooth yet still those clunky moments on the lower gears which I don't mind.

Similar Threads

  1. SUNRACE CSMX80 vs CSMX8 11 SPEED CASSETTE? black finish vs silver?
    By locominute in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 04:12 PM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last Post: 08-02-2017, 07:21 PM
  3. Praxis Works HT2 BBs - durability / quality?
    By james-o in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2013, 12:37 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
  5. "budget" headset...note quality quality quality
    By oyvind in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 09:14 AM

Members who have read this thread: 53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.