Sunrace 11-46 10 speed cassette with SRAM GX derailleur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Sunrace 11-46 10 speed cassette with SRAM GX derailleur

Will a Sunrace 11-46 10 speed cassette work with an SRAM GX 10 speed long cage rear derailleur.

I have a 2017 Specialized Camber 650b. The original spec is a 30 tooth chain ring with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette and SRAM GX derailleur. Ian wondering if I can switch to the 11-46 cassette to get a little more low end.

I have tried searching and see a lot of threads regarding Shimano derailleurs but canít seem to find much regarding the SRAM 10 speeds.

Thanks

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by misailor28 View Post
    Will a Sunrace 11-46 10 speed cassette work with an SRAM GX 10 speed long cage rear derailleur.

I have a 2017 Specialized Camber 650b. The original spec is a 30 tooth chain ring with a Sunrace 11-42 cassette and SRAM GX derailleur. Ian wondering if I can switch to the 11-46 cassette to get a little more low end.

I have tried searching and see a lot of threads regarding Shimano derailleurs but canít seem to find much regarding the SRAM 10 speeds.

Thanks
    Did you make cassette switch yet?
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Functionally it works using the 20mm derailleur spacer that came with the cassette to get the derailleur lower to clear the 46 tooth. The shift quality is a bit worse around the mid to high range gears. I think this is because the derailleur gets farther away from those gears due to the spacer. This is the first time iíve ever tried to adjust a rear derailleur. I set it up by disconnecting the cable to set the high gear end point. Iíve spent a lot of time trying to adjust the tension to get the best compromise from there. I think the 11 speed derailleur thatís designed around a larger cog range to begin with and iíve read doesnít need the spacer will probably work better. I plan to try that in a couple weeks. At that point since the 11 speed 11-46 cassette doesnít cost much more then the 10 speed, so when I need to replace the chain and cassette at the same time I will probably switch it to an 11 speed since the shifter will be the only extra needed item.

NedwannaB
    Yeah I think the 11 spd der works with 10 spd shifter. Similar to using 11 xt der with 10 spd shifter.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The 11 and 10 speed rear derailleurs have the same cable pull ratios so will work with a 10 speed shifter.

Another thing about the installation. When I released the cable from the derailleur and reattached after setting the new high point, there is now a small chunk of smooshed cable that used to be pinched in the fastener in line between the attachment screw and cable exit. I think this is adding elasticity to the system because itís not stretched out. Shifting into the highest gear is rough because the cable tension is lowest and the smooshed cable starts returning to itís linked smooshed state. I would replace the cable when doing this change if doing it again. Iíll be putting a new cable in when I change derailleurs.