mtbr member
    Sep 2011

sunrace 11-42 10 speed vs shimano/sram 11 speed

Since the ranges are the same, what is the advantage (if any) of going 1x11?

It seems like 1x10 is fine and the sunrace cassette is even cheaper than a wolftooth ring.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    11-speed cassettes can go down to 10 teeth, so the top gear is ~10% higher/faster than with a cassette that only goes to 11. You could use that to go faster, or you could go down a couple teeth on the front ring to get a lower climbing gear, without losing any top end.

Worth it? I dunno. But I'm content with my 11-36 so I'm not the best person to ask.

mtbr member
    I'd rather stick with an 10-speed 11T for the small ring. standard hub, plus I've heard people mention that the chain can act wierd on the 10T ring and cause accelerated wear. Hopefully you're not in the 10T ring enough for that though.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

MCMXCV
    As a SunRace 11-40/30T/1x10 user, I can't imagine that having 1 extra gear slammed somewhere in between the 11 and 40 would make an ounce of difference. My drivetrain already shifts like butter, and just using my common sense, adding another gear and reducing tolerances would only make for a more finicky drivetrain.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post

It seems like 1x10 is fine and the sunrace cassette is even cheaper than a wolftooth ring.
    It's not exactly the same for all of them.

The Shimano's 11spd 11-42 has the same range. But SRAM offers a wider range with a 10t small cog. As others have said, there are questions about long term durability there. Plus, there are some aftermarket options showing up that add even more range to the standard 10-42 SRAM range. IMO, that wider range would be the only reason to consider 11spd, but it just depends on what you actually use. As for me, I use my 11t cog on VERY rare occasions, and I've never felt like I needed more there. I use the 42t a bit, depending on where I'm riding, though. Still, it's very rare that I think about going lower. But I've also noticed that a lower gear than the 28-42 that is my current low gear would have me going to slowly that other aspects of handling become a real challenge. So I figure that for the occasions I feel like I want lower, I would really benefit from getting stronger.

I am using a 10spd 11-42 setup and it just works for me. I'm using a SRAM cassette with a Wolftooth cog, but with as many aftermarket options as there are now, I'll be purchasing a complete 11-42 cassette when I wear out my current one. Maybe the Sunrace one. Maybe another. Just depends what the specs on my various choices are, relative to their cost. Considering my current cassette setup cost somewhere in the range of $140-$150, anything at or below that is a win.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    With these things going out of stock at bikeman as soon as they come in pretty soon they will cost $150.

MCMXCV
    My LBS has them for $65

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Save the money get a sunrace. Cassettes don't last long before wear compromises shifting performance. I shake my head at what some of the 11spead cassettes go for. Unless your pockets are lined with disposable income go for it. 150 to 350 for a cassette vs one for under 100 is a no brainer for me I will save the money and save if for more costly bike items like suspension maintenance and overhaul or other bike upgrades.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post

I am very conservative when it comes to getting "the newest" and ten speed is of course fine but I would go 11 speed if I were you. Right now you can get a XT 1142 cassette for $70, or you can get a One-up 45T cog + XT 1140 and obtain an 1145 that has almost identical range compared to SRAM 1042.

And I would wait a couple of months and see what will happen for 2016. There are rumors of Shimano coming up with 1146 Spy Shot: Prototype 11-46 Wide Range Shimano Cassette - Bikerumor

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Or if you really want to go crazy rumour is sram has a 12 speed 10 to 50 range cassette, shifter and derailleur going.

mtbr member
    This is the way I look at it.

If you're starting from scratch...go 11sp.

If you already have a say a Type 2 or Shadow Plus rear derailleur...give the 10sp 11-42 a shot.

This is the fist time I've read of wear being on the 10T. Its mostly the aluminum 42T's wearing out faster on the SRAM 11sp cassettes. There are a few aftermarket companies that make replacement big cogs for the XX1/01 cassettes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syrous44 View Post
    Or if you really want to go crazy rumour is sram has a 12 speed 10 to 50 range cassette, shifter and derailleur going.

yup - X01 eagle. due out in march. But dont post links to it or this thread will be deleted. Info can be found on reddit.