Strange BB sound - :???:- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Strange BB sound - :???:

I'm having this strange sound coming from the bottom bracket i guess.
    Once in a while it makes the sound like when you over-tight a bolt...
    More on the low gears (6-8).I ride on 3x8 with new out-of-the-box Deore M591 crank.
    Shifts great nevertheless !
    Here's my bike :

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Could it be the frame ? it is 1995 era.
    Any thoughts ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm not sure what over-tightening a bolt sounds like. Maybe you can try and describe it?

In any case, the first step is making sure the sound is coming from the BB area. Sounds can be very deceiving. If it is definitely coming from the general BB location, some things I would do:

Make sure the chainring bolts are tight and the threads are greased.
    Take the pedals off, clean and regrease the threads.
    Take the crank apart, clean and regrease (make sure you know what you're doing before you do this)
    Put everything back together and make sure it is setup properly.

If it is still making the sound, I'd probably look at the pedal bearings and, if that doesn't solve it, I'd service the BB cups. There is a thread on this forum with pictures and instructions for doing that. If none of this works, then check back

I'm sure some other people will have more good suggestions. Personally, I'd also make sure the seatpost and seat tube are clean and lightly oiled.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanx for the feedback !
    Looks like I have some work to do...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Who put the crankset on and when? And has it been making the sound ever since it was installed? Were the pedals put on at the same time?

Tool
    Check out any of the creak/noise threads here and you will find a laundry list of things to eliminate until you find the noise. Two that would apply to your situation is to make sure the cassette is tight (you need a specific tool for this) and also make sure the rear skewer is clean and tight.

Another possibility is a rear spoke making the noise - see if you can reproduce the noise by messing with the spokes a bit.

Good luck,
    Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My cranks hum "She'll be coming around the mtn". The pitch increases as I spin faster.

Just kidding, of course. It can be tough to locate the source of creaks. GL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Everything was put together at my LBS and almost all parts are new.Gee there's a lot of possible reasons...I'd have to strip down and re-assemble my bike for the 4th time.Great feedback btw.
    Rlouder ! : last time it hummed "She's over the mountain "

Members who have read this thread: 0