SRAM X9 trigger shifter (rear) HIGH force needed for downshift- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

SRAM X9 trigger shifter (rear) HIGH force needed for downshift

New Stumpjumper came with SRAM x9 triggers (removed front) , rear is XO type 2 derailleur . 10 speed.

The shifter requires about double the force that my Shimano SLX shifters did on my old Stumpy. Is this due to the type 2 derailleur mechanism? I checked the cable , routing, kinks... All good there and very smooth and free when disconnected from the shifter/derailleur. Enough cable to not get tight below the bottom bracket when under full suspension compression bottoming as well. (When are they going internal???)

Upshifts are perfect. Would like to know if others have noticed this, or maybe there is something wonky with the shifter. It hasn't been crashed (yet) and it's only 6 rides old. Tempted to buy a replacement SRAM shifter and try it, but I would rather repalce it all with Shimano instead and know it works right. Just want it to work well. I need the shifters.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is it all the downshifts that are difficult, or just the last one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Is it all the downshifts that are difficult, or just the last one?

All of them. Each downshift (thumb push) is very stiff and resists much more than any other trigger shifter I have ever had. That's why I'm wondering if this is the derailleur (type 2) or a buggy shifter issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    All of them. Each downshift (thumb push) is very stiff and resists much more than any other trigger shifter I have ever had. That's why I'm wondering if this is the derailleur (type 2) or a buggy shifter issue.
    The shift to a easier to pedal gear will feel stiffer with the new type 2 derailers due to the added tension on the chain. This is the main reason why I haven't yet made the switch to type 2 yet myself, I don't like the shifter feel at all. I will also say that I think shimano's version of the clutch type derailer feels way better at the shifter as far as shifting effort goes.

I would expect that SRAM will remedy this on next years shifters with a higher leverage ratio or something like that to make the shifting action feel lighter.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have had the same issue with my X9 shifters and type 2 rd since day one. However my 2013 slx shifters with Shadow Plus rd are smooth so I think it might not be due to the clutch mechanism.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ok I have been thinking this as well. I've got the sram x9 rear with x7 triggers on a new complete and it seems like a long throw on the push along with it being stiffer to push. I have been checking forums to see if I were to change to an x9 trigger would it make a difference. Apparently not from what I'm reading here. type 2 is just stiff. I noticed localist saying that the slx are smooth and easy, is that the case?

Members who have read this thread: 0