Sram x9 rear derailleur + Sram x7 shifters + shimano cassette (Shifting all messed?!?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

New question here. Sram x9 rear derailleur + Sram x7 shifters + shimano cassette (Shifting all messed?!?

Hey
    First off. I know that there is a difference between shimano and sram. I know about the 2:1 ratios and 1:1 ratios for shimano and sram respectively. I just purchased a brand new X9 rear derailleur and x7 trigger shifters. Taking my deore off my bike and reconfiguring the x9 rear derailleur onto my ride I found that shifting is nice the first 3 small rear cogs, after shifting into the larger cogs - there is a large abundance of jumping around between gears when I peddle hard. If anyone has any advice or reasoning behind what is happening that would be greatly appreciated if you shared it! I was so excited and now I am stumped as to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Angus

I think I set it all up according to Sram instructions.. using my old cable housing (if that has any affect - it worked nice with my old deore)

mtbr member
    Sounds like you may need a little more cable tension. Give the barrel ajduster on the shifter a couple of turns counter clockwise to tighten the cable a little and see if it improves. The shimano cassette should be compatible with SRAM.

Another possibility is that you may need to adjust the B-screw. Shift to the largest cog on the rear, and verify you have about 6 mm of distance between the cog and the derailleur pulley. Tighten or loosen the B-screw to acheive this distance if it's off.

Derailleur adjustment instructions can be found here:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Feb 2006

Good job! Angus_fairgrieve,

Glad to see you brought this over to this board..

Like I said, theres alot of good wench-heads over here that can walk you through this..
    I do all my own work but I cant exsplain $hit to a Turd..And 1 finger typing dose'nt help..

Good luck, and enjoy your SRAM parts..

Jake Pay, POWERED by SRAM Here..

Freshly Fujified

New chain?

In addition to making adjustments to the barrel adjusters and B screw, you may want to consider a new chain, too. This might help in that everything else i8s new, and a stretched chain could cause issues.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    For me, if I change the cassette I always have to change the chain and the rings if I want the drivetrain to run smoothly.

Wombat

Jun 2005
    I have a similar situation as angus except I am getting ghost shifting on the 3 smallest cogs on the rear when putting any torque on the peddling. The rear cogs, chain and front rings are all new. I don't know how to correct this. Can anyone give me advice on how to correct?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Have you checked your rear hanger? If it's took a knock, replace it - 10

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    EDIT: Oooo. Sorry for that resurrection. This software does that too? One site I frequent often pops up 'old' threads. Like five year-old ones, or older...

Apologies...

But, what fixed it?

Members who have read this thread: 0