mtbr member
    May 2010

SRAM X7 2.1 rear derailleur b-adjust screw misaligned

Installed a new SRAM X7 2.1 rear derailleur last night. The b-adjust screw is off towards the inside quite a bit. It seems to be holding OK, and otherwise the derailleur works fine (as far as I can tell... I've never installed one before).

I could return it, but I was thinking of simply putting a nut or cap on the end of the screw to ensure it doesn't slip off. Anyone have experience with something like this?

(first photo embedded sideways and the second one is upside-down)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM X7 2.1 rear derailleur b-adjust screw misaligned-1104150712.jpg  

SRAM X7 2.1 rear derailleur b-adjust screw misaligned-1104150712a.jpg  

mtbr member
    It looks like the derailleur isn't screwed into the hanger all the way in the first pic, maybe I'm just seeing it wrong though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    True, looks like the derailleur mounting bolt is cross threaded.

Land of the 230+
    Ive run into that on no less than 4 x7 derailleurs. Its no big deal at lower b limits, but at higher b limits, it slips to the side. When using a 40 or 42t cog, I threaded on a lock nut backwards to increase the footprint at the tip of the screw. You just have to pull the derailleur back when adjusting it so the bracket doesnt hold the nut in place.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Ive run into that on no less than 4 x7 derailleurs. Its no big deal at lower b limits, but at higher b limits, it slips to the side. When using a 40 or 42t cog, I threaded on a lock nut backwards to increase the footprint at the tip of the screw. You just have to pull the derailleur back when adjusting it so the bracket doesnt hold the nut in place.
    Yep, I'm running a 42.

I looked through a collection of small nuts, but didn't find anything suitable. Will stop by my LBS and see if they have anything.

Thanks for the replies everyone. For posterity, the derailleur is tightened to spec and not cross threaded. The X7 b-adjust plate (on both this new type 2.1 and the old type 1 it replaced) has a lot of play, at least compared to the X9 on my other bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Forgot to update this... bought a nut at my local parts store for $0.18. It doesn't have quite enough clearance with the hanger, but after making it fit, the the new derailleur works quite smoothly.

Upgraded to an X9 shifter too (superior action vs the X7's). When a mishap requires spending money on parts, I find that spending even more money on better and/or unnecessary parts is a great morale booster