Sram X0 rear derailleur rebuild- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Sram X0 rear derailleur rebuild

I have an Sram X0 rear medium cage derailleur and the cage is cracked. I'm wondering if the medium cage from an X5 would fit (temporarily). Could anyone possibly tell me the length from the jockey bolt to bolt of the cage on the X5?

Has anyone done a hybrid rebuild. Seems that the cages between Sram X rear derailleurs should be compatible.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Yes, it can work.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Tool
    You also need to look into how the two specific cages attach to the bodies. I had a good XO long cage with broken body, and a friend with a good XX body and broken long cage. I thought it would be an easy swap, but the cages/bodies were not compatible with one another (XX was a twist fit, the XO used a retention clip).

I was able to repair the XO derailleur. The hole for the chain tension spring had rounded off enough to allow the spring to slip and thus no chain tension. I was able to use a small drillbit to square off the edge of the retention hole to hold the spring. I've got a few hundred dirt miles on the repair, but I know it's a time-bomb. To hedge, I carry a spring that nicely connects between the lower part of the cage and derailleur body, allowing me to still pedal home in case the spring slips again.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Good info Pete.

I also found out that the current 2010 and up studs are rounded. And the pre 2010 stud is "D" shaped and would only work with that generation bodies.

For now I don't think it will work cause my X0 is pre 2010 and the X5 is a 2011 model. I will need to take them apart to figure this out....weekend job.

Trickier than I wanted!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone tried this before? I wanted to move the spring tension to the stronger option after using if for 1 year, but was unable to do so as I'm unable to remove the pulley assembly from the RD body.

In the 2010 RD, this is possible after removing the aluminium cage stop screw on the pulley cage and rotating the pulley past the hole.

How do you achieve this in the 2011/12 version?

Members who have read this thread: 0