Sram TYPE 2 10-Speed Rear Derailleur with 9-Speed cassette + -speed Gripshift- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Sram TYPE 2 10-Speed Rear Derailleur with 9-Speed cassette + -speed Gripshift

Will it work for a 1 x 9?
    Thanx!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxson View Post
    Will it work for a 1 x 9?
    Thanx!
    No. Not inter-compatible. But what's a "+-" grip shifter?
    Last edited by JMac47; 12-18-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: more info

Never trust a fart
    10 speed derailleurs not compatible with 9 speed shifters. Cable pull ratio is different.

Might as well go 10 speed.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    10 speed derailleurs not compatible with 9 speed shifters. Cable pull ratio is different.

Might as well go 10 speed.
    Partially true. Not within the same "brand" anyway. You can use a 9spd SRAM shifter on a 10spd Shimano Shadow derailleur. YRMV....

Not that full 10spd setup isn't a bad idea.

bike tester
    You can replace the cam to convert it to 9 speed, as seen here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...sp-709007.html

Or you can just use a Shimano RD with shadowPLUS, it works with 9spd sram shifters.

But i don't recommend gripshift and clutch, takes more effort.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    Or you can just use a Shimano RD with shadowPLUS, it works with 9spd sram shifters
    Gee, I thought that's what I said.....

As for the harder shifting, that's the same as comparing SRAM to Shimano shifters with Plus or Type 2 derailleurs in general.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry, I meant for it to read "9-speed cassette + 9 speed Gripshift". Guess I didn't proofread.
    I have just replaced my worn right 9-speed Gripshifter with a new one, as well as a worn cassette with the 9-speed XG-999 that I bought for a decent price. Love the idea of a 1 x 10, but I was hoping to use a "clutch"-type rear derailleur and going 1 x 9 (32 x 32). My understanding is that a clutch RD keeps tension on the chain enough so it's not necessary to have a chain catch on the front ring? ... and I don't think there's any such thing as a 9-speed clutch RD. Hence, the questions as to whether a 10-speed clutch RD would be compatible.
    Thanks for all the replies.

NedwannaB
    You're on the right track but without a front chain guide of some sort you'll need to get one of the narrow/wide front chain rings along with a Shadow + 10spd derailleur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    [QUOTE=JMac47;10904497]You're on the right track but without a front chain guide of some sort you'll need to get one of the narrow/wide front chain rings along with a Shadow + 10spd derailleur.[/QUOTE

Ah yes, a different ring. Probably do one of these: 104 BCD Chainrings | wolftoothcomponents.com

I'm currently using a set of XT M770 (3 x 9) cranks that are setup as a 2 x 9. That setup has been working out pretty well except for the noise of the chain rubbing the FD. Yes, there's the trim adjust on the left shifter, but I'm at the point where I just don't want to use the left shifter now.
    I'm thinking I'll also change out the right shifter now to a Shimano XTR or XT 9-speed (if I can find one).

NedwannaB
    The xtr/xt shifters won't work on the SRAM 2 10 SPD if that's what your implying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    The xtr/xt shifters won't work on the SRAM 2 10 SPD if that's what your implying.
    I'm thinking now I'd just keep the Sram 9-speed cassette since it's brand new and mate it up with a Shimano clutch RD (Shadow? 10-speed) and a Shimano 9-speed (or 10-speed if it could work) Trigger shifter.

If there's less than optimal performance with trying to make 9-speed Gripshift work with Shimano then I won't do it.

I'm trying to read over the Stickies pertaining to drivetrain compatabilty to get a better understanding of how things could or won't work. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Please feel free to chime in some more!

Jaxson

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Sram TYPE 2 10-Speed Rear Derailleur with 9-Speed cassette + -speed Gripshift

I'm thinking now I'd just keep the Sram 9-speed cassette since it's brand new and mate it up with a Shimano clutch RD (Shadow? 10-speed) and a Shimano 9-speed (or 10-speed if it could work) Trigger shifter.

If there's less than optimal performance with trying to make 9-speed Gripshift work with Shimano then I won't do it.

I'm trying to read over the Stickies pertaining to drivetrain compatabilty to get a better understanding of how things could or won't work. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Please feel free to chime in some more!

Jaxson
    Will not work
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

NedwannaB

Jaxson
    What shiggy is trying to tell you is you can't cross use "same" brand shifting components. Which is what I said in my post #2 above. So I'll reiterate what I've narrowed down in my research/findings:

If you want to get benefits of the clutch type "10 speed" derailleur with a 9spd shifer/cassette, you can only accomplish this by using the "Shimano Shadow Plus Dynasis" style, i.e xtr,xt,slx,zee etc. It will not work with the older 10 spd Shadows(i may be wrong on this...) or other 9 speed Shimanos.

You need to use a "SRAM 9speed" shifter to match the "almost similar" cable pull ratio of 1:18 to the Dynasis. Either trigger or grip shift SRAM type. Notice I said almost as most people(not all) have had to use a 4-6cm spacer shim to adust the angle of cable attachment to the derailleur. I have not as of yet but will most likely if switching chain or cassette does not take care of fine tuning.

As for inter mixing 9 &10 speed components within "same" brands that's a no go as well. i.e. can't use Shimano 9 SPD shifter on a Shimano 10 spd der etc.(or vice verse) Or SRAM on SRAM etc.

Nor can you intermingle "same speeds" in either brand i.e. can't use Shimano 9 to shift a SRAM 9 der, or Shimano 10 shifting SRAM 10 der. And vice verse.

Got it?
    Last edited by JMac47; 01-01-2014 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo more info

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What shiggy is trying to tell you is you can't cross use "same" brand shifting components. Which is what I said in my post #2 above. So I'll reiterate what I've narrowed down in my research/findings:

If you want to get benefits of the clutch type "10 speed" derailleur with a 9spd shifer/cassette, you can only accomplish this by using the "Shimano Shadow Plus Dynasis" style, i.e xtr,xt,slx,zee etc. It will not work with the older 10 spd Shadows(i may be wrong on this...) or other 9 speed Shimanos.

You need to use a "SRAM 9speed" shifter to match the "almost similar" cable pull ratio of 1:18 to the Dynasis. Either trigger or grip shift SRAM type. Notice I said almost as most people(not all) have had to use a 4-6cm spacer shim to adust the angle of cable attachment to the derailleur. I have not as of yet but will most likely if switching chain or cassette does not take care of fine tuning.

As for inter mixing 9 &10 speed components within "same" brands that's a no go as well. i.e. can't use Shimano 9 SPD shifter on a Shimano 10 spd der etc.(or vice verse) Or SRAM on SRAM etc.

Nor can you intermingle "same speeds" in either brand i.e. can't use Shimano 9 to shift a SRAM 9 der, or Shimano 10 shifting SRAM 10 der. And vice verse.

Got it?
    I too have a practically brand new shimano 3x9 XT fc-m770 crank and 9spd XT cassette that I would like to keep, but I would like to replace the rear derailleur with an SLX Shadow Plus (M675) rear derailleur in order to get the benefits of the clutch. I already have sram X7 trigger shifters. So it sounds like I should be able to make this work with just the purchase of the M675 and maybe a 6mm shim? I've been googling it and couldn't find any info as to wether or not the wider 9 speed chain would fit through a 10 speed rear mech.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by PITA View Post
    I too have a practically brand new shimano 3x9 XT fc-m770 crank and 9spd XT cassette that I would like to keep, but I would like to replace the rear derailleur with an SLX Shadow Plus (M675) rear derailleur in order to get the benefits of the clutch. I already have sram X7 trigger shifters. So it sounds like I should be able to make this work with just the purchase of the M675 and maybe a 6mm shim? I've been googling it and couldn't find any info as to wether or not the wider 9 speed chain would fit through a 10 speed rear mech.
    The general consensus on here with this setup is to go 9spd chain/cassette. I originally thought to use a 10 spd on my setup due to the derailleur and the thinking it would be skinnier and thus not have an affect on the 9spd cassette cogs. I know there have been some using either style chain. I have also noticed comments of certain "brand" of chain may work better than others. Can't recall which exactly, but of course different setups could have played a role in which worked better as well. My only regret now is not getting a 10 spd chain for when I make switch to a straight 10 spd setup if I can't get this setup to work properly.