SRAM <-> Shimano 12-Speed Compatibility?- Mtbr.com
    A Man Of The Truth

New question here. SRAM <-> Shimano 12-Speed Compatibility?

My 1 year old stanta cruz has a SRAM GX Eagle Drive train. Great system, great range. But my derailer is beat to shit and is ready to be replaced. While I like SRAM systems overall, I've always preferred Shimano shifters. This leads me to two questions:

1) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter work with a SRAM Eagle derailer and cassette?

2) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter AND XT 12 speed derailer work on a SRAM 12 speed cassette?

It looks like the answer to #2 should be a yes, and maybe even #1. It will be really nice to get back on shimano shifters. I have previously used Shimano shifters with SRAM derailers, I think it was XT and X.9 9 speed. But I definitely want to stick with my 10-50 cassette!
    Check out my Mountain Bike Keychains on eBay

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    My 1 year old stanta cruz has a SRAM GX Eagle Drive train. Great system, great range. But my derailer is beat to shit and is ready to be replaced. While I like SRAM systems overall, I've always preferred Shimano shifters. This leads me to two questions:

1) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter work with a SRAM Eagle derailer and cassette?

2) Will the new XT 12 speed shifter AND XT 12 speed derailer work on a SRAM 12 speed cassette?

It looks like the answer to #2 should be a yes, and maybe even #1. It will be really nice to get back on shimano shifters. I have previously used Shimano shifters with SRAM derailers, I think it was XT and X.9 9 speed. But I definitely want to stick with my 10-50 cassette!
    It should work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have XTR 12.....it works fine on a XX1 rear cassette with a Shimano chain.
    I just did a short test....but I'd say the XTR cassette shifts a tiny bit better.....and I mean really tiny bit.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I just did a short test....but I'd say the XTR cassette shifts a tiny bit better.....and I mean really tiny bit.
    Still, I wouldn't spend the money unless you're going to go all in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Still, I wouldn't spend the money unless you're going to go all in.
    Although I agree with you....like I said , the difference was very small, if anything.( I will do some long rides sooner or later with the SRAM cassette)
    Add in the micro spline hub/driver fubar.....it makes the SRAM option a viable solution
    I now have KMC 12 chain on the way....to see if the XTR chain is really all it's hyped up to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bump.

Anyone have more experience with mixing and matching SRAM and Shimano 12sp?

I currently have GX Eagle, but need to replace my shifter. Will the new XT 12sp shifter work?

Over time I want to swap the other parts of drivetrain to 12sp XT (maybe not the cassette) unless I can easily swap wheels to microspline.

A Man Of The Truth
    I made the switch a month ago. It's been working great. And the shinamo shifters are much better. I did shifter and derailer but Doing just the shifter should work the same

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I made the switch a month ago. It's been working great. And the shinamo shifters are much better. I did shifter and derailer but Doing just the shifter should work the same
    I haven't tried XT 12-sp, but XTR was buttery smooth. That said, I heard Shimano using different cable leverage than SRAM, so an XT shifter may not work with a GX Eagle derailleur.

Hope someone has tried Shimano shifter and SRAM derailleur...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    ...Hope someone has tried Shimano shifter and SRAM derailleur...
    https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...m-1113561.html

https://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/rep...s-1110135.html

There maybe more here and on youtube

mtbr member
    Just a quick bump to confirm an XTR 12 spd shifter will indeed work with an Eagle derailleur.

My 5010 came with NX Eagle and I've always hated the shifter as there's a lot of slop in the downshift lever, even compared to the next step up, GX. Saw some threads on here yesterday, including this one, called a few LBS's and one had the XTR lever in stock for the same price as online so I grabbed it. Installed it after work, didn't change the outer housing as it was relatively new, slid the cable through it, made sure the derailleur was indexed properly and it was shifting perfect.

Love the 2 gear up-shift with this lever. Only thing it won't do, in my limited 5 minute stroll around my yard, is shift under load. Thinking about moving to an XTR derailleur as I'm on my 3rd NX derailleur now, thankfully I didn't have to pay for the 2 that shit the bed.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple.
    Spank//i9//Deity//Magura//DVO

mtbr member
    Just wanna throw in some quick thoughts: have 4 bikes with Eagle (my wife and I), and two have been never ending headaches with adjustments, ghosting, etc.

Swapped out the GX and XO1 Derailleurs for XT with the XT shifter, kept the rest the same and it's a HUGE upgrade. The shifter is so damn smooth and crisp and there's been no re-adjustments and fiddling.

If you have XD or an existing cassette but are frustrated with Eagle, do yourself a favor and at least just upgrade the Derailleur to SLX/XT/XTR. Worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    my m7100 derailleur and shifter work great on my eagle cassette and chain. Love it

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

First I'll preface with the face that SRAM and Shimano 12 speed cassettes have the same spacing and are cross compatible. Their shifters and derailleurs however are NOT cross compatible.

1) No.
    2) Yes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its good to see some positive feed back in using xt shimano rear derailleur and shifter working with sram XD eagle cassette. I'll be doing this upgrade soon.

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ive been running SRAM 12spd cassette and Shimano 12spd RD & shifters for about a year on my HD3 I suspect chain choice and setup has more impact on shifting than the product mix, ooops I errd Im using an 11spd XTR RD and 12spd XTR shifter. Shimano 11&12spd has same cable pull so can be mixed which is a good way to get XTR when its last years stock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Just wanna throw in some quick thoughts: have 4 bikes with Eagle (my wife and I), and two have been never ending headaches with adjustments, ghosting, etc.

Swapped out the GX and XO1 Derailleurs for XT with the XT shifter, kept the rest the same and it's a HUGE upgrade. The shifter is so damn smooth and crisp and there's been no re-adjustments and fiddling.

If you have XD or an existing cassette but are frustrated with Eagle, do yourself a favor and at least just upgrade the Derailleur to SLX/XT/XTR. Worth it.
    Good to know. I have the GX eagle on my fat bike and am having to constantly fiddle with it. It's been nothing but headaches since I've owned the bike since new. It's garbage in my opinion and I'm looking at switching it all over to XT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    First I'll preface with the face that SRAM and Shimano 12 speed cassettes have the same spacing and are cross compatible. Their shifters and derailleurs however are NOT cross compatible.
    Then my bike must have some voodoo magic going on because my bike isn't having any issues running an XTR shifter on a POS NX derailleur.

Guy at the store I bought the shifter from said the same thing "oh, they're not compatible..." meanwhile it works like a charm.

mtbr member
    SRAM &lt;-&gt; Shimano 12-Speed Compatibility?-64b465e1-e425-42f6-95d0-7e854bb5cf75.jpgAfter seeing this post I've buyed an XTR derailleur and XT lever (I know the opposite is the right thing to do do) and it's working like a charm on GX cassete and SRAM chain
    Last edited by bullit43; 03-06-2020 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    Then my bike must have some voodoo magic going on because my bike isn't having any issues running an XTR shifter on a POS NX derailleur.

Guy at the store I bought the shifter from said the same thing "oh, they're not compatible..." meanwhile it works like a charm.
    You be fair, it does take a bit of finessing to get the setup to work right. I'm sure its easier to setup with both parts being shimano. Though even with the goofy setup there's way less fiddling between rides with the nx shifter and slx derailleur. Heres my two videos on the subject.
    https://youtu.be/GNf8Ar9PVSs

https://youtu.be/J10114w0b2I

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy1 View Post
    You be fair, it does take a bit of finessing to get the setup to work right. I'm sure its easier to setup with both parts being shimano. Though even with the goofy setup there's way less fiddling between rides with the nx shifter and slx derailleur. Heres my two videos on the subject.
    https://youtu.be/GNf8Ar9PVSs

https://youtu.be/J10114w0b2I
    It took me like less than 15 minutes to remove the NX shifter, install the XTR, and get it running fine. It was simple and works just fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Is it ok to run a SRAM chainring with a 12 speed Shimano chain, Simano rear derailleur and SRAM cassette?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I think u should use sram chain

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Would a SRAM XO1 crankset and chainring be compatible with an XT 12 speed drivetrain?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Yes, you can use a sram eagle crankset and chainring with Shimano 12 speed.
    If you are using the Shimano 12 speed chain, use an Eagle quick link rather than a Shimano quick link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brex17 View Post
    Yes, you can use a sram eagle crankset and chainring with Shimano 12 speed.
    If you are using the Shimano 12 speed chain, use an Eagle quick link rather than a Shimano quick link.
    using a sram chainring would not get him all the benefits shimano claims the hyperglide+ provides, compatible yes, optimal probably not.

but what you can do is just buy a new chainring, I think wolftooth make some hyperglide direct mount rings for sram cranks

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    using a sram chainring would not get him all the benefits shimano claims the hyperglide+ provides, compatible yes, optimal probably not.

but what you can do is just buy a new chainring, I think wolftooth make some hyperglide direct mount rings for sram cranks
    Who cares about hyperglide. The big deal with shimano 12s is that the bits are way cheaper than sram (like 13% cheaper SLX vs NX) and they also dont suck and require constant fiddling (unlike sram).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    The chainring has nothing to do with the hyperglide+ shifting. That is all in the cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The chainring has nothing to do with the hyperglide+ shifting. That is all in the cassette.
    cassette and chain. And I was under the impression from eariler in this thread that the shimano chain was different enough that it doesnt fit properly on the sram chainrings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy1 View Post
    cassette and chain. And I was under the impression from eariler in this thread that the shimano chain was different enough that it doesnt fit properly on the sram chainrings.
    It does but works better with an Eagle quick link.
    Expect slightly more friction between the chain and chainring to start with, especially if they are brand new.

And yes, the mixing of he 2 drivetrains works fine, with the cheapest swaps being Shimano derailleur on Eagle drivetrain - https://youtu.be/HpWRmFaXvRU

Or Shimano shifter on otherwise complete Eagle drivetrain - https://youtu.be/aLrhdscfjhs

We've raced the XTR shifter+derailleur with everything else Eagle all last season, works like a charm - https://youtu.be/YVmaar81sMo
    Yeti SB100
    Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hello !

Sorry if it's been already asked here, but I'm having a hard time finding the information I want.

I currently have a full Shimano 12 speed drivetrain (All XT, except for XTR derailleur).

If I purchase a SRAM Eagle shifter/derailleur/Cassette, combo, do I also need to change the crankset, or will it work properly with the current one ?

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    How old is your XT setup? I'd happily trade you a full GX drivetrain straight up. I need hyperglide for my girlfriend who shifts under load mercilessly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Probably around 500km, but I'm not interested in trading, thanks for the proposition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evildos View Post
    Hello !

Sorry if it's been already asked here, but I'm having a hard time finding the information I want.

I currently have a full Shimano 12 speed drivetrain (All XT, except for XTR derailleur).

If I purchase a SRAM Eagle shifter/derailleur/Cassette, combo, do I also need to change the crankset, or will it work properly with the current one ?

Thanks !
    See the post right before yours!
    Yeti SB100
    Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mevnet View Post
    See the post right before yours!
    Ah, sorry ! I got confused...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just read through this post and today am get the xtr shifter and xt rear derailleur and for now sticking with my GX cassette. Ibis makes a micro spline free hub for my 738 wheels and if I might order one and completely leave sram.

Sent from my SM-T837T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So I got my Shimano XT rear derailleur and a XTR shifter today and got it mounted up. Way easier than the SRAM eagle was. Shifter seems a little stiff but shifts nice on the GX cassette.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Is the following combo likely to work, and if not why not?

1. M985 XTR cranks with NSB 30T N-W ring (AFAIK, nobody makes 88 bcd HG+ rings)
    2. SRAM Eagle gripshift (unfashionable, but I have weak thumbs and this works for me)
    3. XT8100 rear derailleur
    4. XT or SLX 12 speed 10-51 cassette
    5. XT or SLX chain (maybe with SRAM joining link)

The other problem is that I have DT Swiss M1900 Spline wheels and it's not clear whether it's possible to get a MicroSpline freehub body that will fit the rear hub. If not, Plan B would be to use a Sunrace 11-50/51 12 speed cassette and maybe an Eagle chain.

Any thoughts?

Downcountry
    Dec 2019
    Will this work???

I am building a Yeti SB100 for my wife. Ultimately I want a 12s XT drivetrain, but I have an extra pair of XD driver take off wheels I want to use.

Could I use the XD Driver with the Sram Eagle 12s 10-50 cassette, a Sram Eagle GX Chain, and XT 12 Speed everything else (crankset, 12s chainring, Rear Der, Shifter)? I know that the XT shifters and rear Der work on the Eagle cassette, but do I need a Sram crank to run with the Sram chain or can I use an XT 12 Speed crank with a Shimano 32t chainring?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I don't know if the SRAM chain will work on the 12 speed Shimano chainring, but if it won't One Up make a Switch spider to fit Shimano cranks, and you could use one of their non-HG+ rings on that. Or just use an 11 speed Shimano crank and chainring.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Looks like I'm trying to go the opposite direction of most people here...

I'm currently running full GX 12s and need to replace the cassette and derailleur. Is it possible to use a Shimano 12s cassette with SRAM shifter/derailleur/chain? What if I went Shimano cassette/derailleur/chain with SRAM shifter? The difference in cost for the GX vs. SLX cassette is significant and I'd like to save the dough if possible... thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If your hub has an XD freehub body now (10T small cog) the Shimano cassette won't fit, but if it's HG (11T small cog) then any 12 speed cassette that will go on should work; that doesn't include Shimano though. Changing the freehub body to MicroSpline so an SLX 12 speed cassette fits might be expensive, or impossible...

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Yeah, I remembered after posting that everything hinges on whichever freehub I've got it's XD so I'm roped into the spendier cassette. Gotta love proprietary tech. Thanks for your response, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    If your hub has an XD freehub body now (10T small cog) the Shimano cassette won't fit, but if it's HG (11T small cog) then any 12 speed cassette that will go on should work; that doesn't include Shimano though. Changing the freehub body to MicroSpline so an SLX 12 speed cassette fits might be expensive, or impossible...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have a Trek Roscoe 7 2020 and it comes with a SRAM SX drivetrain. Despite what the LBS told me - that it would not work and the combination would be wrong.....I recently upgraded to an XT shifter and SLX derailleur, running on an SX Cassette. I installed it myself and indexed the gears and all - took a bit of twiddling around but got it to shift flawlessly. I went on a ride that evening and it shifted amazing. No complaints here

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Why are you suggesting this?
    I was actually looking for info if this would work as I have to to change frames and am too cheap to get Shimano links , so I am genuinely interested what are the pros.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nick.stromkern View Post
    I was actually looking for info if this would work as I have to to change frames and am too cheap to get Shimano links , so I am genuinely interested what are the pros.
    The Shimano quick links are narrower than the Sram links which makes them noisy and could affect shift quality when using a Sram Cassette or chainring with a Shimano 12 speed hyperglide chain.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw45 View Post
    The Shimano quick links are narrower than the Sram links which makes them noisy and could affect shift quality when using a Sram Cassette or chainring with a Shimano 12 speed hyperglide chain.
    I ran an Eagle link on my HG+ chain for quite awhile because of a lack of 28t chainrings. I do not recommend using a Shimano HG+ drivetrain on a cassette that's not specifically compatible because the spacing between cogs on Shimano are every so slightly different. It might "work" but you're degrading performance. You might as well use one of the Sunrace 903 cassettes meant for Shimano (or one of the less expensive ones if cost is an issue) if you can't run a Shimano one.

After seeing some visuals from Wolftooth about how the Shimano HG+ chain is supposed to contact the chainrings, I am no longer using Eagle links in my chain.

SRAM &lt;-&gt; Shimano 12-Speed Compatibility?-dropstop_a_st.jpg

I'm using a OneUp ring (because it comes in a 28t size, and was available before any other 28t rings) which has a slightly different shape than Wolftooth's, the chain is the same, and it's meant to contact the teeth on chainrings differently than Eagle chains. So, the Eagle link works, but it lines up differently than the rest of the chain. This, it seems to me, is likely to increase wear.

At this point, chainring availability is good enough that there's no good reason to use the Eagle link method as your primary option.

What I've decided to do is to use Shimano links when installing my HG+ chains. However, I've decided to make sure that I'm carrying Eagle links in my pack for emergencies. The reason for that is that more people are using Eagle drivetrains, and they CAN'T use Shimano links. I can put an Eagle link on my chain in a pinch, but I can also share it with anyone on a SRAM 12spd drivetrain. Since I use my repair tools and parts more often on other people's bikes than my own, I feel like this is a better solution.

This came up because a few weeks ago, a riding buddy totally mangled his chain and needed multiple quick links. We didn't have enough among our crew, because I had a Shimano HG+ quick link instead of a SRAM one. His ride was done and he had to kick-bike it back to the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I ran an Eagle link on my HG+ chain for quite awhile because of a lack of 28t chainrings. I do not recommend using a Shimano HG+ drivetrain on a cassette that's not specifically compatible because the spacing between cogs on Shimano are every so slightly different.
    I have a complete XT set (hubs, brakes, drivetrain...) that landed in my hands as a gift by some immense amounts of luck.

Maintenance and replacements are literally too rich for my blood, so my inner cheapish self was looking to use some eagle quick links in case of need.

since 4/10/2009
    I have a complete XT set (hubs, brakes, drivetrain...) that landed in my hands as a gift by some immense amounts of luck.

Maintenance and replacements are literally too rich for my blood, so my inner cheapish self was looking to use some eagle quick links in case of need.
    The way I plan to deal with it is if I need to use one of my emergency Eagle quick links for a field repair, I'll order a Shimano quick link to replace it. Yeah, the Eagle links are a lot less expensive than the Shimano ones, so I get that part of it. BUT, I don't want my drivetrain to wear out faster because I'm using an Eagle quick link, which will be more expensive to deal with than using Shimano quick links. Ideally, I'll maintain my own stuff well enough that I won't need to use them on my own drivetrain. It's been a LONG time since I've broken a chain. and with Eagle links being cheaper, it's no big deal to give them away to other riders who are in a bind. My riding buddies have been really good about buying me replacements for things I've given them. I don't expect it, but it helps offset the stuff that I give to riders I don't know and will likely never see again.

One thing to keep in mind is that top level chains these days are MORE durable than the lower level ones. So while the purchase price is higher, they cost less per mile. I'll likely continue to use XTR chains for the life of my drivetrain. Also, this does not appear to be true for cassettes. So now that XT and SLX cassettes are available, I'll sacrifice a few grams and buy the less expensive cassettes.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post

1) No.
    2) Yes.
    Will 12 speed Eagle work with a 12 speed shimano cassette? Im currently running 1x11 all sram xo1 with xt cassette. Want to get a microspline freewheel for my i9 wheels since the xtr cassette is cheaper and switch to xo1 eagle rear d and shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Will 12 speed Eagle work with a 12 speed shimano cassette? Im currently running 1x11 all sram xo1 with xt cassette. Want to get a microspline freewheel for my i9 wheels since the xtr cassette is cheaper and switch to xo1 eagle rear d and shifter.

Yeah it should work, but why? This shifter and derailleur are the biggest upgrade when converting n sram to shimano. I could take out leave hyperglide, but not having to constantly adjust the sram mech is amazing.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post

Read the posts about Shimano and SRAM. The Shimano cassette spacing is a touch different. It'll work, but it won't work as well as all Shimano or even all SRAM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just another point to add, I believe a lot of the XTR cassette is titanium, which doesn't last as long as steel for sprockets. I'd probably stick with SRAM cassettes since you already have the XD driver.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ungod View Post
    Just another point to add, I believe a lot of the XTR cassette is titanium, which doesn't last as long as steel for sprockets. I'd probably stick with SRAM cassettes since you already have the XD driver.
    Definitely agree about sticking with SRAM in this case.

But the XTR cassette has cogs in alu (biggest 3), steel (middle 5 cogs), and Ti (smallest 4 cogs). I think the idea is that the ones you should probably spend the most time in are the most durable (steel). The biggest ones are alu (much lighter), and then the few Ti cogs gives you a little bit more weight savings and a little hit to durability. When I replace mine, I'll probably use an XT or possibly even SLX cassette for cost reasons.

The way Shimano went about its 12spd stuff, it seems like you're best off going all Shimano or all SRAM. The more you try to mix the Shimano stuff with other brands, the more you're going to compromise the whole drivetrain. It's not as interchangeable as it used to be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ I don't think that's correct - the smallest 4 cogs are steel, not Ti - then there are 5 Ti cogs, then 3 alu cogs. The latest Shimano spec sheets don't detail this, but it certainly appears to be the case going by the photos and XTR 11 speed cassettes.

If it was me I'd either stick with the expensive but light and durable SRAM cassettes, or else use XT, SLX or Deore which are much cheaper than XTR and have mostly steel cogs. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Shimano 12 spd cassette, chainring, Chaim with SRAM AXS derailleur and shifter. Works flawlessly.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    ^ I don't think that's correct - the smallest 4 cogs are steel, not Ti - then there are 5 Ti cogs, then 3 alu cogs. The latest Shimano spec sheets don't detail this, but it certainly appears to be the case going by the photos and XTR 11 speed cassettes.

If it was me I'd either stick with the expensive but light and durable SRAM cassettes, or else use XT, SLX or Deore which are much cheaper than XTR and have mostly steel cogs. YMMV.
    Maybe. Mine's a little dirty, so it's tougher to tell the difference between the steel and Ti cogs. I can see they're different from each other, but ID'ing them is trickier.

I don't like how stupid expensive SRAM's cassettes are to get the light weights. I bought the XTR drivetrain before anything else was available, and was hoping it'd last long enough for the more affordable XT cassettes were out. Turns out, Shimano's timeline was WAY faster than I needed. I've had the XTR cassette on for over a year now and it's still in good shape.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Shimano 12 spd cassette, chainring, Chaim with SRAM AXS derailleur and shifter. Works flawlessly.

"Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post

Can we get a 3rd vote on this? We have someone swearing that they are compatible and someone else sure that they are NOT (Eagle Shifter + Shimano 12spd derailleur and vice versa)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have an XT Shifter (8100), SLX Derailleur (7100)

SRAM SX Casette w/ SX Crank

KMC Ti-Nitride Chain

Despite what my LBS said - I installed it all myself and indexed my own gears even.

Works FLAWLESSLY. I was even shifting under load many times yesterday, no issues whatsoever.

It's actually working so well that when i order my new Wheelset from Light Bicycle, Im getting an XD Driver to use a GX cassette I bought from a friend, instead of going full Shimano.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

SRAM Shifter Shimano Mech

Quote Originally Posted by le_pedal View Post
    Can we get a 3rd vote on this? We have someone swearing that they are compatible and someone else sure that they are NOT (Eagle Shifter + Shimano 12spd derailleur and vice versa)
    Hi, I have just replaced a horrid SRAM SX Eagle mech with a Shimano SLX 12sp mech on a friend's Bossnut and he says that it is a massive improvement. All gears work fine and shifting way crisper and more reliable than it was. Still using the SX shifter for now.

So I can say that it works, the pull ratios are close enough to work on 12 speed so they must be near identical. It would be a smart move by Shimano to have made it so, given the quantity of junk NX and SX eagle OEM mechs out there...

mtbr member

Are you using XT or XTR chain/cassette?

And when you do chain length are you using Sram or Shimano's specifications?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jon123 View Post
    Are you using XT or XTR chain/cassette?

And when you do chain length are you using Sram or Shimano's specifications?

Thanks
    XTR per Shimano instructions

mtbr member
    XTR per Shimano instructions

Had you used an Eagle cassette with your AXS (or just went straight to Shimano)?

And if so what made you switch?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Had you used an Eagle cassette with your AXS (or just went straight to Shimano)?

And if so what made you switch?
    Yes. I wanted to see if the jump from gear was different. I do like the spacing better on the Shimano upper rings

mtbr member
    Yes. I wanted to see if the jump from gear was different. I do like the spacing better on the Shimano upper rings

Other than the spacing do you find the shift quality improved? In terms of smoothness, noise, consistency

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Other than the spacing do you find the shift quality improved? In terms of smoothness, noise, consistency
    Yes provided you find the sweet spot for the b-gap. I set to new SRAM spec which came with their newest derailleur instructions

mtbr member
    Yes provided you find the sweet spot for the b-gap. I set to new SRAM spec which came with their newest derailleur instructions

Yeah, the friggin finicky Sram b gap.

There isn't new spec for AXS though right? I know there's a slight difference - and different tool - between AXS and mechanical Eagle. But no recent changes to AXS b gap right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yeah, the friggin finicky Sram b gap.

There isn't new spec for AXS though right? I know there's a slight difference - and different tool - between AXS and mechanical Eagle. But no recent changes to AXS b gap right?
    The new tool has a different tool but this tool doesn't work on the Shimano cassette because the 2nd to largest gear is different than the SRAM. So you need to set by measurement and approximate where SRAM 2nd ring would be. I tried the old b-gap tool and it didn't get the top jockey wheel close enough. Find the new manual and that shows the correct measurement in millimeters. I also spoke to SRAM and was told that the Enduro guys found a new dimension that worked better with 50 or 52T.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here is my experience with Shimano XT mech and XTR shifter mixed with the OEM SRAM GX cassette/chain/chainring.

Had constant tuning issues with the OEM GX mech, and was never smooth in the climbing gears despite checking b-gap and indexing multiple times on stand and on trail. SRAM warrantied the GX mech due to >4 mm side to side play in the derailleur bolt (metal on metal pivot in the GX versus the X01 that has a non-metallic and replaceable bushing). This was my opportunity to do a partial conversion to Shimano to hopefully reduce future replacement costs, as well as reduce the constant tuning tweaks. I I wanted an XT mech and shifter combo, but due to limited availability locally bought the XTR shifter (likely not worth the $ for me). The XT/XTR conversion was super easy to tune on the stand following Shimano instructions and is the first mech I haven't had to fine-tune on the trail under load. Three weeks of riding on it and it is still very smooth through all gears and no crunching in the lowest two gear (shift to granny). My wheels/hub (Newmen SL A.30 GEN1) don't accept microspline, so I won't get the advantage of any easy and cheaper cassette replacement without investing in a new Wheel/hub, but the peace of mind that I'm not going to be fiddling forever with the mech tune is already paying off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Life View Post
    Here is my experience with Shimano XT mech and XTR shifter mixed with the OEM SRAM GX cassette/chain/chainring.

Had constant tuning issues with the OEM GX mech, and was never smooth in the climbing gears despite checking b-gap and indexing multiple times on stand and on trail. SRAM warrantied the GX mech due to >4 mm side to side play in the derailleur bolt (metal on metal pivot in the GX versus the X01 that has a non-metallic and replaceable bushing). This was my opportunity to do a partial conversion to Shimano to hopefully reduce future replacement costs, as well as reduce the constant tuning tweaks. I I wanted an XT mech and shifter combo, but due to limited availability locally bought the XTR shifter (likely not worth the $ for me). The XT/XTR conversion was super easy to tune on the stand following Shimano instructions and is the first mech I haven't had to fine-tune on the trail under load. Three weeks of riding on it and it is still very smooth through all gears and no crunching in the lowest two gear (shift to granny). My wheels/hub (Newmen SL A.30 GEN1) don't accept microspline, so I won't get the advantage of any easy and cheaper cassette replacement without investing in a new Wheel/hub, but the peace of mind that I'm not going to be fiddling forever with the mech tune is already paying off.
    Ha! Exactly what I'll be doing: I have the same setup from Shimano - XT shifter to SLX Derailleur + SRAM SX Cassette. I am changing to GX cassette in about a month. The Local bike shop said it would not work.....lol. Shifts flawlessly, even under load. I installed and indexed myself. Not sure what chain you are using but try the KMC ti-Nitride Chain. It's Under $60 on Amazon and my shifting got even smoother:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just ordered a XT rear mech and Xtr shifter to replace my XO rear and XX shifter.
    I came from Xtr 3x10 on a ti ht and expected perfect shifts with myy dream carbon fiber fancy full suss build.
    Right from the start it couldn't handle dropping the 4 big gears in a sweep. Adjusted the b gap and that was fixed but I have never had the smooth perfect shifts I had with the Shimano set up. I still have crunchy shifts and regularly having to nudge a shift. I tried upgrading the stock gx shifter with xo but no luck. A change from the gx chain to KMC helped a bit but it just bit the dust in short order it had stretched out which shocked me as I normally have great luck with their chains. Perhaps it was my choosing Progold rather than my preferred Squirt.
    Just went for a ride on the ht waiting for my new stuff and reminded of how shifting should be. I had read so many glowing reviews of Eagle, especially GX and up, but frankly it rides more like 8 speed era Shimano which is a real downer when you drop $10 k on your dream build. Onyx hubs kick ass though.
    Anyways, fingers crossed the Shimano parts change all this. Oh, I also purchased a XX chain. This chain has a pretty solid Rep and seeing as I have an XO cassette, should be the best match.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sroc3 View Post
    Ha! Exactly what I'll be doing: I have the same setup from Shimano - XT shifter to SLX Derailleur + SRAM SX Cassette. I am changing to GX cassette in about a month. The Local bike shop said it would not work.....lol. Shifts flawlessly, even under load. I installed and indexed myself. Not sure what chain you are using but try the KMC ti-Nitride Chain. It's Under $60 on Amazon and my shifting got even smoother:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks for the tip on the KMC chain. Is it your experience that the KMC x12 chain is smooth than the Eagle chains, irrespective of GX versus X01 version? Just curious as the KMC Ti-Nitride is about the same price as the X01 chain, which seems to get good reviews for longevity. I've been running the cheaper GX chains and seem to be changing them out at about 0.5% stretch due to my past shifting issues (according to my cheap chain gauge). I'm hoping that I'll get more life out of chains now that I've sorted out the mech and shifter issues. It's definitely been a worthy upgrade so far to have more confidence in the shifting under climbing loads and rapid upshifting that ran my chain right off the cassette a couple of times, and far cheaper than upgrading to a X01 mech + shifter, which was my original strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by The Good Life View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the KMC chain. Is it your experience that the KMC x12 chain is smooth than the Eagle chains, irrespective of GX versus X01 version? Just curious as the KMC Ti-Nitride is about the same price as the X01 chain, which seems to get good reviews for longevity. I've been running the cheaper GX chains and seem to be changing them out at about 0.5% stretch due to my past shifting issues (according to my cheap chain gauge). I'm hoping that I'll get more life out of chains now that I've sorted out the mech and shifter issues. It's definitely been a worthy upgrade so far to have more confidence in the shifting under climbing loads and rapid upshifting that ran my chain right off the cassette a couple of times, and far cheaper than upgrading to a X01 mech + shifter, which was my original strategy.
    I literally ride everyday. I'm in Vegas - in desert, dusty conditions, constantly changing from singletrack to short rocky climbs - which stresses that chain out. I do shift during the climbs too. The KMC shifts flawlessly and I have had no issues thus far. Note that I do clean my chain with lube every other ride - apply some "Rock & Roll" Extreme, then reverse the chain and run through a clean rag. I've had this same chain on my two previous Full Suspension bikes in California. Never had issues, never had breaks.

NOTE: I'm 160lbs. If you are a bigger and stronger guy, then the stresses you put on that chain will be greater than mine. So can't speak to the longevity of your chain if that is the case.

If you are stretching a lot then I would just go with the SRAM XX1. It's $89 on Amazon. That's only a $36 delta between the KMC. Totally worth it if you don't have to keep changing all the time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    So I got my Shimano XT rear derailleur and a XTR shifter today and got it mounted up. Way easier than the SRAM eagle was. Shifter seems a little stiff but shifts nice on the GX cassette.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    So did you have to change your derailleur hanger to fit the shimano rear derailleur?

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBW View Post
    So did you have to change your derailleur hanger to fit the shimano rear derailleur?
    Nope. All derailer mount the same way at the same point, unless it's a Saint or something funky like that. So you don't need different hangers for different derailers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

derailleur hanger

So for everyone that changed to shimano xt 12 speed rear derailleur from Sram GX eagle was it necessary to change the derailleur hanger to a shimano direct mount hanger?
    Keen to do the change but is this a step that hasn't been mentioned?

Thanks

A Man Of The Truth
    So for everyone that changed to shimano xt 12 speed rear derailleur from Sram GX eagle was it necessary to change the derailleur hanger to a shimano direct mount hanger?
    Keen to do the change but is this a step that hasn't been mentioned?

Thanks
    See my previous post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Ok that sounds good. I have noticed Rocky mountain sell two different hangers for their 2019 Altitude so thought a change may have been required.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Ok that sounds good. I have noticed Rocky mountain sell two different hangers for their 2019 Altitude so thought a change may have been required.
    Yeah some bikes seem to have the B-screw pad a little thick and you need a thinner one to get the B set right on the Shimano stuff. My Vitus Sentier is like that, I have the screw backed all the way out, the next time I have the hanger off I'm going to take a file to it and take like 50 thou off so I can get it set even better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have a Trek Roscoe 7 2020 and didn't have to change the hanger. Changed from Sram to SHimmy.