SRAM PG980 tooth broken....warranty claim?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New question here. SRAM PG980 tooth broken....warranty claim?

I bought this cassette after my OEM one was trashed 3 months after the bike was bought. I have maybe 9months on this cassette and chain. I started to get chain pop/jump this week while at the beach. tooth is GONE. I don't think I kept my receipt, but if the bike shop has a record of the date I ordered it from them will this be an easy swap out for a replacement?

I crank HARD and apparently rear cassettes cannot handle me for a year.

IMG_0398 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

ALSO, if i end up buying a new cassette, can anyone recommend me a TOUGH one that is in the $100 range? this one was $75 i believe. im not a brand guy, just want my stuff to be run hard and smile @ me
    '11 Red Rockhopper Comp
    Serfas True 500
    Focus SVT Bike hauler :)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Unlikely that you would get a warranty. Drivetrain parts are considered "wear parts" and if they do have a warranty at all, it is probably 90 days or less.

You are already pretty much at the top of the pile for SRAM. You could go up to the 990 or the 999 (which is a good bit more than $100) but in terms of durability, I'm not sure you would see any gains; where your cassette broke is not structural, it is at the teeth, and those are all, more or less, built to the same specification.

I would chalk it up to a fluke, personally, and if it happens again, think about going to a different cassette. Another thing you might consider is working on your shifting technique. I have rarely seen teeth break from cranking...more likely it broke from a shift under power, and the best way to handle that would be to back off until the shift completes. It requires predicting what gear you will need, but that is a skill that comes with use.

Of course, without knowing how you ride, this is just rank speculation. At any rate, it is unlikely that you would see much gain from upgrading to the 990, but you can see what others think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks for shedding some light on that. I usually use that gear when doing singletrack. I am
    pretty good about gear changes when not under load but I must have cranked down one time out of synch to cause that.

I heard for the price I might want to try a shimano set. I will do core creek again before I swap setups and take note of if I crank while gearing up/down at all during the ride. I could have also busted it @ the beach during a stop/go gear change with traffic and all.
    '11 Red Rockhopper Comp
    Serfas True 500
    Focus SVT Bike hauler :)

Members who have read this thread: 0