mtbr member
    Dec 2006

SRAM PG970 -vs- Shimano XT M960 Cassette

I currently am running an XTR rear derailleur, XT chain, XTR Dual control shifters with a SRAM PG970 cassette. Would there be...could there be any noticeable difference in shifting if I switched to an XT cassette?

Freshly Fujified

Probably not

The XT is much lighter than the 970, but they are pretty much equivalent based on my personal experience with them. If I had to guess, you'd need to upgrade to the PG-990 or the XTR cassette to see any noticable difference, if at all. Even then, the difference might only be in weight savings.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Bob is right.. I think there is little difference is shifting, though some claim the XT is smoother.. I personally prefer the XT though

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Cool, I am eventually going to go to the XT just wondering if I should do it now since there is only a few miles on the new bike. If I am not going to really notice a shifting difference I will keep the SRAM until I need to change it out. Unless there is a significant weight difference. I will have to research that and then make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by KPVSR
    Cool, I am eventually going to go to the XT just wondering if I should do it now since there is only a few miles on the new bike. If I am not going to really notice a shifting difference I will keep the SRAM until I need to change it out. Unless there is a significant weight difference. I will have to research that and then make a decision.
    It is a wear item... I'd say run this one to the ground and get the XT later.... resale won't be very good anyway... so you might as well use it and throw it in the recycle bin when done

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There is only a 66 gram claimed difference between the two anyway. That is .14 pound. I am not that big of a weight weenie to care about that. I can drop that much and more with a good dump in the commode before I go riding.

Quote Originally Posted by KPVSR
    There is only a 66 gram claimed difference between the two anyway. That is .14 pound. I am not that big of a weight weenie to care about that. I can drop that much and more with a good dump in the commode before I go riding.
    Completely agree... that's why I recommend that you ride the Sram cassette that you already have and switch only when it needs replacement....

banned
    Worry about the carrier if you have an Al freehub body.

bump and grind
    I have both. I can detect no difference in shifting between the SRAM 970 and the XT. The XT is much lighter though. Also, I noticed the XT allows more freewheel sound from my ringle hubs to resonate. I agree with posters who said that you should ride the 970 till it needs replacing.

Members who have read this thread: 0