SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin vs. Shimano CN-7701- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin vs. Shimano CN-7701

What are the major differences in the performance of these two chains? I saw the SRAM chain for $34.99 at RepartoCorse.com which I thought was a good price. Then I saw the Shimano CN-7701 chain for $22.99 at JensonUSA. Is the SRAM chain better? Also, what is the difference between the SRAM PC-99 Hollow Pin vs. the SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin?

By the way, I'm riding a Specialized Epic with an XTR M-960 crankset, XTR M953 cassette and Shimano CN-7701 chain. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'll bite.

I think both will be good performance chains. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Obviously I think the hollow pin chain will be a bit lighter.

Having said that, My preference is for Shimano chains, especially since you're running shimano on everything else. I find it's quieter and it seems to shift a little smoother on a shimano drivetrain. I miss the powerlink tho. That makes it real easy to clean your chain, and I could have used that in the past month.. sigh.

also, you could just buy the hollow pin and try it out.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'll bite.

I think both will be good performance chains. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Obviously I think the hollow pin chain will be a bit lighter.

Having said that, My preference is for Shimano chains, especially since you're running shimano on everything else. I find it's quieter and it seems to shift a little smoother on a shimano drivetrain. I miss the powerlink tho. That makes it real easy to clean your chain, and I could have used that in the past month.. sigh.

also, you could just buy the hollow pin and try it out.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I'll bite.

also, you could just buy the hollow pin and try it out. Then you'll know which chain you like better, since you're running the Shimano one now. Just a thought.

GL,
    -don

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue
    What are the major differences in the performance of these two chains? I saw the SRAM chain for $34.99 at RepartoCorse.com which I thought was a good price. Then I saw the Shimano CN-7701 chain for $22.99 at JensonUSA. Is the SRAM chain better? Also, what is the difference between the SRAM PC-99 Hollow Pin vs. the SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin?

By the way, I'm riding a Specialized Epic with an XTR M-960 crankset, XTR M953 cassette and Shimano CN-7701 chain. Thanks.
    Though I don't know the difference betweeen the 99 and the 991, I like the sram better for the power link (I have the 99 hollow pin). It is very easy to use and you never feel like you are compromising your chain if you take it off, which for me is often enough...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    if you are going to buy a 34,90 chain dont get a sram try a rolhoff chain , is as smoother as shimano but a really more longer .

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I am using the PowerLink on my Shimano chain

Even though SRAM doesn't recommend it, I haven't had any problems with it so far. I also keep an extra powerlink in my camelbak just in case. . .

Members who have read this thread: 0