SRAM NX Eagle 12 spd Groupset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

SRAM NX Eagle 12 spd Groupset

Just announced, now Shimano is only 2 years behind. Or more...

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/family/nx-eagle

E-bikes ready cassette, lots of loose cogs and only 615g. Good for winter wheels and cheap! And going after Sunrace and their 11-50t cassette.

More details
    https://bit.ly/2HOYHxQ
    Last edited by mevnet; 06-14-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: accuracy
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    The cassette is only 615g? Why, it's but a feather!

mtbr member
    Lol...just get the GX.

mtbr member
    The whole “Eagle” on the cheap is taking the luster of the name. Time to rebrand with the eTap XX1... “Raptor” would work lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Lol...just get the GX.
    Right...the shifter and r/d is the same price...only the cassette is pricey at $200. So I don't see the point of having the NX other than maybe the cheaper cassette. So why not just produce the cheaper cassette option and leave the NX Eagle off the table.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Right...the shifter and r/d is the same price...only the cassette is pricey at $200. So I don't see the point of having the NX other than maybe the cheaper cassette. So why not just produce the cheaper cassette option and leave the NX Eagle off the table.
    We'll probably see this as OE equipment on budget level builds and people wanting to upgrade that don't have an XD driver.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This group is meant for oem and the whole thing was spawned off the cassette; which is just a big hilarious F.U. to shimano. This cassette allows the oem buyers to have 1x12 on lower end bikes without having to spend the extra $2 to change their rear wheel spec to xd driver. It's quite brilliant really. While shimano is a little full of themselves about the new xtr, sram just grabbed another big chunk of the higher volume (and more profitable) lower end market.
    I suspect the RD and shifter are identical to GX, but they just made it a "group" because uniformity on complete bikes looks nice and it simplifies ordering for the oems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    This group is meant for oem and the whole thing was spawned off the cassette; which is just a big hilarious F.U. to shimano. This cassette allows the oem buyers to have 1x12 on lower end bikes without having to spend the extra $2 to change their rear wheel spec to xd driver. It's quite brilliant really. While shimano is a little full of themselves about the new xtr, sram just grabbed another big chunk of the higher volume (and more profitable) lower end market.
    I suspect the RD and shifter are identical to GX, but they just made it a "group" because uniformity on complete bikes looks nice and it simplifies ordering for the oems.
    Almost same as GX with exception of materials, cranks are exactly the same though.
    And I agree, OEM specked bikes - they can pull their RS products and brakes as well. More business for sure, they did the same with their 11 speed NX. I do believe that Shimano has a few aces in their sleeve when it comes to overall quality and longevity but they got outsmarted by SRAM on the MTB side. BIG time. Cassette that is backwards compatible with their Shimano freehub? It will probably be their 12 speed Deore (or maybe 11?) when? 3 years from now?
    At least they have all the 2x12 racer (XT Race) market for themselves...
    2019 Yeti SB100
    2016 Transition Smuggler

mtbr member
    Makes sense.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    From some online prices it looks like price is the same as GX. for the cassette i also could buy the 12-speed Sunrace (11-50). I assume GX is a bit higher level, so what is the point of NX?
    any downsides compared to GX in case the price comes down?

Except for the perceived "need" to have all components have the same name, I don't get why one wouldn't just use the cheaper Sunrace cassette. It even is sold as a GX Eagle kit for $290.

I have a (2x10) hybrid with HG hub and am interested in 1x12 and actually like the 11-50 better than 10-50 to have smaller steps since 455% range is enough for me.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

Bikes in jeans
    extra $2 to change their rear wheel spec to xd driver.
    Most people are looking at a new wheel if they don't have an interchangable freehub.

Otherwise, absolutely brilliant timing considering Shimano is still mucking around trying to get their first 12 speed drivetrain out.

Separately, I've said for a while that NX and GX are almost identical. The 11sp cranksets alone are almost indistinguishable.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Where they get you with the cassettes are those of us running XD don't have the cheaper options...at least right now. I haven't really looked that much but from what I do see...a 12 speed XD cassette on the low end runs a little over $200, nearly double the cost of a lower end 12 speed cassette for Shimano driver dubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Where they get you with the cassettes are those of us running XD don't have the cheaper options...at least right now. I haven't really looked that much but from what I do see...a 12 speed XD cassette on the low end runs a little over $200, nearly double the cost of a lower end 12 speed cassette for Shimano driver dubs.
    $76 for sunrace 12-speed

Maybe once Sunrace actually provides an RD the whole 12-speed thing can become mainstream.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    That sunrace is Shimano...not XD. Cheapest XD 12 speed I've seen is $215 but I haven't price shopped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    This is gonna be a perfect solution for alot of peeps. I just bought a GX drive train and Hadley hubs since my OEM Formulas were not upgradeable to XD. This solution is really about people wanting/needing the Eagle/50T but stuck with a Shimano driver. I'm gonna be in about $1500 to get there since I decided to build wheels with the Hadley hubs. Granted, this will be a hub/rim/drivetrain upgrade, but I was forced into a new hub and wanted to make a few upgrades anyway (72 POE for the Hadleys vs my 22 on the Formulas).

It would be nice to have had a lower cost solution that would have not forced the hub/driver change. The NX for me, would have been about $200 since I already have a 1 spd crank, so I would have just needed the casette, RD and chain to get the 50T/12 spd setup. I prolly would have went that route and I remember grumbing hard that the Eagle would not fit a Shimano driver and that I couldn't swap the Formula hubs to XD.

I tried the Sunrace 50T 11 spd with my OEM 11 spd GX RD (and am still running, until I get my wheels built) and it's a crappy solution. It shifted flawlessly with the orig Sram casette, 11-42, but now ghost, slow and skips shifts. Would prolly need the Garbaruk long cage to make it work right but it feels like I'd be throwing money at a marginal solution.

I'll be at about 1 lb drop with the GX/Hadley/Rim upgrade, and the NX weight penalty would have been a bitter pill, but the difference is alot of coin. This is about giving options and I'm not sure which direction I would have gone given the choice but I didn't have one.

Choices are good. Sram is killin it right now. Shimano must have been on a crash development schedule to get their 12 spd out and it will still be awhile before Shimano will be competing in the GX/NX end of the scale. It sure is fun to watch the S on S war and that's good for us.
    Last edited by 671Ridah; 06-19-2018 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    I think I am going to go NX on my 014 Trek EX8. My question is do any of you know can I use a Wolf Tooth 30t narrow wide chain ring on my existing 2x crank? Or do I have to get a new crank? I have the cain ring in my parts box it just never got used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 671Ridah View Post
    This is gonna be a perfect solution for alot of peeps. I just bought a GX drive train and Hadley hubs since my OEM Formulas were not upgradeable to XD. This solution is really about people wanting/needing the Eagle/50T but stuck with a Shimano driver. I'm gonna be in about $1500 to get there since I decided to build wheels with the Hadley hubs. Granted, this will be a hub/rim/drivetrain upgrade, but I was forced into a new hub and wanted to make a few upgrades anyway (72 POE for the Hadleys vs my 22 on the Formulas).

It would be nice to have had a lower cost solution that would have not forced the hub/driver change. The NX for me, would have been about $200 since I already have a 1 spd crank, so I would have just needed the casette, RD and chain to get the 50T/12 spd setup. I prolly would have went that route and I remember grumbing hard that the Eagle would not fit a Shimano driver and that I couldn't swap the Formula hubs to XD.

I tried the Sunrace 50T 11 spd with my OEM 11 spd GX RD (and am still running, until I get my wheels built) and it's a crappy solution. It shifted flawlessly with the orig Sram casette, 11-42, but now ghost, slow and skips shifts. Would prolly need the Garabuk long cage to make it work right but it feels like I'd be throwing money at a marginal solution.

I'll be at about 1 lb drop with the GX/Hadley/Rim upgrade, and the NX weight penalty would have been a bitter pill, but the difference is alot of coin. This is about giving options and I'm not sure which direction I would have gone given the choice but I didn't have one.

Choices are good. Sram is killin it right now. Shimano must have been on a crash development schedule to get their 12 spd out and it will still be awhile before Shimano will be competing in the GX/NX end of the scale. It sure is fun to watch the S on S war and that's good for us.
    You can run the 12spd Eagle derailleur on a 11spd system you know.
    I did this with the 11-50 Sunrace 11spd and it worked out really well.
    You can keep everything you have on your bike right now and just buy the derailleur.
    I used the GX Eagle and the 11spd GX trigger
    SRAM NX Eagle 12 spd Groupset-26.jpgSRAM NX Eagle 12 spd Groupset-27.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I hadn't heard that. Read somewhere that the indexing ratios were different. I have the Eagle GX RD in abox. Maybe I'll try that. I'm sure I'll need a longer chain tho till I get my wheels built up with the Hadley XD hubs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velodonata View Post
    The cassette is only 615g? Why, it's but a feather!
    Yep! Way heavier than any conceivable dual! They did it: finally a 1x that is way heavier than a dual and has less range!

Not to mention that this is a 1150 cassette, 454% range, that makes using 12 speed completely unnecessary.

Consider the Nx twelve cogs: 11-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32-36-42-50. Eleven cogs, swapping 17-19 with a 18, would be easier to use, and lighter.

Or even better spread those cogs a bit, like Garbaruk does with their 11 speed (on the market since 2017): 11-13-15-17-20-24-28-32-36-42-50
    Last edited by Davide; 06-17-2018 at 01:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I think I am going to go NX on my 014 Trek EX8. My question is do any of you know can I use a Wolf Tooth 30t narrow wide chain ring on my existing 2x crank? Or do I have to get a new crank? I have the cain ring in my parts box it just never got used.
    sure can, just make sure to use the right spacers (wolftooth has all the info you need)