SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with X5 Shifter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Listen! SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with X5 Shifter?

Hello all,

2014 Rockhopper Comp here. X5 setup. X5 Rear derailleur is toast. thinking to pair SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with my stock X5 shifter. Will it work? are the ratios the same?

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nt3ch View Post
    Hello all,

2014 Rockhopper Comp here. X5 setup. X5 Rear derailleur is toast. thinking to pair SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with my stock X5 shifter. Will it work? are the ratios the same?
    Yes, it should work, though I dont see any differences between the new GX and older X7 type 2.1 derailleurs. If you can score a deal on an older x7, you can put a few bucks towards replacing the shifter with x7 as well.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Hello all,

I just did this mod and it works fine. Gx dérailleur seems a bit smoother as well than the X5. I'm running a 1x10 with a Wolftooth 42 T cog as well.

mtbr member

New question here.

Okay I installed the derailleur but I'm having trouble with the lower middle gears. Seems like the chain is Skipping. I adjusted both high and low and b tension. Any tips guys? I'm kinda clueless at this point. New cable and all too.

Also, the gx seems pretty noisy.... Very loud clicky noises. Is this normal?
    Last edited by d4nt3ch; 09-17-2015 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Land of the 230+
    You did install the 10 speed GX, and not an 11 speed GX derailleur, right? I don't mean to sound patronizing, but mistakes do happen from time to time.

mtbr member
    Yes, it's 10 speed long cage.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Okay I installed the derailleur but I'm having trouble with the lower middle gears. Seems like the chain is Skipping. I adjusted both high and low and b tension. Any tips guys? I'm kinda clueless at this point. New cable and all too.

Also, the gx seems pretty noisy.... Very loud clicky noises. Is this normal?
    Things that I tend to check I'll mention: Check that chain is routed properly thru the jockeys. Check that the dérailleur cable is moving freely thru its housing. Check the dérailleur is mounted properly with the mounting tab engaged. Cable tension is key. Screw barrel adjuster all the way in, then back the barrel adjuster out one full turn. Release dérailleur cable bolt. Shift onto smallest rear cog. Take slack out of cable and then tighten cable bolt. You don't want the cable super tight - just take out the slack. Then use the barrel adjuster to make fine adjustments.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Fixed for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Things that I tend to check I'll mention:

Yes, thank you. I looked up a few youtube videos and realized my mistakes. I attempted to tune the tension screws while the cable was tightened into the derailleur, before adjusting the screws without any cable first.

The noise was caused by the chain not being housed in the cage properly (between the two jockey wheels where it's hard to see) and was rubbing on the outside of it. I've made this mistake before with another derailleur.

Everything works just fine now but I have one more concern: my b tension screw really sticks out. It barely hits the dropout 65 hanger in that grove, as if the b tension screw isn't needed at all. My concern is because so much of the head of the screw is sticking out, it could snap while trailing on a wipe out or going through some thick bush...

And FYI, my X5's b tension slot broke right off. Not sure if that happened when everything got sucked into the spokes, or when i wiped out a few times that day. Either way, I don't want the same thing happening to my GX.

suggestions? Thank you all for the support and replies so far.
    Last edited by d4nt3ch; 09-18-2015 at 07:18 AM. Reason: grammar

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Here's a pic of my setup on my Fatboy. This is with a 42t GC from Wolftooth. It shifts great on the street. Hope to get it on the trail today. You can see the B screw just below the dérailleur bolt. I'm using about 2/3 of the screw as you can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with X5 Shifter?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/45kw7e1pv6...84551.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ap34qpydu...84539.jpg?dl=0

So as you can see my b screw sticks out a ton..

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Not the fake Jay Leno
    If it is shifting ok, but you are worried about it, I'd go to HD and get a shorter one. I think it is an M4.

mtbr member
    My x5 shifter works well with the gx 2.1 rear derailleur yet I am contemplating upgrading the rear shifter to a gx shifter.

Is it worth the upgrade? Would it shift a lot smoother? Smoother shifts would increase life on the cassette no?

Opinions please

Land of the 230+
    I havent tried the gx 10 speed shifter, but I know theres a HUGE difference upgrading to the x7, and a bit more improvement with the x9. I would assume the GX would be similar.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I did install my Gx 10 speed shifter today. Honestly, I don't notice any difference vs the X5 shifter - maybe a bit higher quality feel to it. All SRAM shifters feel about the same to me. It's a pretty cheap upgrade if you want to go for it. My Fatboy is only 9 months old, so I didn't have a lot of shifts on the X5, so...

mtbr member
    I got my gx 10 speed shifter installed. Indexing is a lot smoother with the gx knob. From normal riding I can't tell much other than a higher quality-feel of shifting but will be hitting the trails in the AM and will report back then.

mtbr member
    Welp, there's definitely a difference between the x5 and the gx shifter. The gx rear shifter works very smoothly with the gx RD, alot smoother than the x5. I found the x5 to shift very clunky which is why I was considering upgrading.

Haven't really noticed anything with zero loss as I find the gx shifter to shift quicker and more accurate than my x5 especially when trying to hit those low gears last second before climbing a hill.

When I need to replace the cable, I'll crack open the x5 and the gx shifter. Then I'll see what exactly is different internally.

All and all, gx shifter with gx RD, I approve!

mtbr member
    Some pictures of my gx shifter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with X5 Shifter?-uploadfromtaptalk1443480712911.jpg  

SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with X5 Shifter?-uploadfromtaptalk1443480747935.jpg  

SRAM GX Type 2.1 10Spd Rear Derailleur with X5 Shifter?-uploadfromtaptalk1443480824734.jpg