Sram GX eagle vs XO1 eagle derailleurs ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Sram GX eagle vs XO1 eagle derailleurs ?

My next bike comes with GX eagle derailleur, but im not sure about this part… except the materials and the weight difference, how its really function compare to the XO1 eagle derailleur? is it reliable?

On my old bike i had XO1 11 speeds and it worked without any issues what so ever compare to the GX 11 speeds that my fried having on his bike… so im wondering if its the same with the eagle version? thinking to upgrade this part as soon as i’ll get my new bike…

Also how’s the GX shifter compare to the XO1 shifter (i had X1 shifter before - no complains and i really liked how crisp it was)? is it worth to upgrade this part as well, or the GX shifter is good enough?

Last edited by Muddy-Runs; 02-28-2019 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    nx Eagle is good enough to be honest... I was all set to get the new XT or maybe even the new XTR but ive just ordered an X01 cassette and free hub to go with my NX kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have NX eagle on a new bike, 12 speed. Shifting is fast and precise.

Also, your bike comes with the derailleur and you said you may upgrade when you get the bike. Considering you will then own the bike, won't you yourself know if it is garbage?

I mean it isn't like the GX supplied at delivery is a deal breaker for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    GX is very reliable and efficient, and durable. I have 1200+ miles on mine and it shifts flawlessly and has rashes from rock hits and no issues. I don't think the cost difference between XO1 and GX is worth it to me. The weight difference is small and the durability and shifting ability of the GX is really solid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I have NX eagle on a new bike, 12 speed. Shifting is fast and precise.

Also, your bike comes with the derailleur and you said you may upgrade when you get the bike. Considering you will then own the bike, won't you yourself know if it is garbage?

I mean it isn't like the GX supplied at delivery is a deal breaker for you.
    I talked with my LBS and they offered me a trade-in for these parts (plus the money difference between them), so i wont have the chance to try them. I can only compare with the 11 speed version i had before (and my friends problematic GX derailleur)... thats why im wondering if its worth the extra €€€ or not.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    I talked with my LBS and they offered me a trade-in for these parts (plus the money difference between them), so i wont have the chance to try them. I can only compare with the 11 speed version i had before (and my friends problematic GX derailleur)... thats why im wondering if its worth the extra €€€ or not.
    Ahh okay. I misunderstood. I read it that you would plan to upgrade the derailleur after you owned it if we didn't think it was a good model.

I've heard that investing in better shifters before a derailleur is usually a good place to start. If I am to believe the internet reviews, they are the same derailleur aside from lighter weight parts. I've only had Shimano drivetrains until this bike so I can't speak from any experience of differences between the SRAM line.
    Also believe the internet, I should be seeing performance degrading from my NX shifter. It may be true, I've only gotten a dozen rides but the shifter feels to have been broken in now, a bit more sloppy than when was new. But in no way ready for replacement.
    To date, for the steep and rocky terrain I ride in, my shifting has been 99% flawless.

I am impressed that an entry level component is this good. Unlike SRAM entry level brakes. LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I (literally !) have a brand new GX and brand new X01 RD in my hands. I am looking at them extensively and cannot tell any difference whatsoever other than the silk screened name. But, the X01 is 10g lighter, so there must be some difference. I had an X01 on a previous bike that completely blew up for no reason that I could tell, so who knows.

I am a total parts snob generally, but I am thinking I will just use the GX derailleur as I plan to switch to XTR as soon as I can and the X01 will be worth more used. But you never know how things go and if it stays on there indefinitely it will be fine. All reports are it shifts exactly the same. From what I remember there is supposed to be one more plastic vs metal part or something, and there was some people talking on one of the Eagle threads about SRAM eagle RD's blowing up and it seemed like more of them were GX but also more people probably run GX. Again, I am holding htem both in my hand and inspecting them closely and I cannot tell the difference.

Oh I remember what it was, I think the GX spring is made from a slightly less expensive material and may be more prone to failure ? If you really care read the giant thread on this forum with "Eagle" in the title. All the discussion you could want on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    (and my friends problematic GX derailleur)...
    did they knock it against something, 12 speed has less tolerance for miss aliment, nx/ gx/ x01 will very likely be the same.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by louf View Post
    did they knock it against something, 12 speed has less tolerance for miss aliment, nx/ gx/ x01 will very likely be the same.
    Its looks good, but somehow the 11 speeds GX derailleur not working smooth (at list for him) compare to the XO1 i had (both of us using X1 shifter)...

Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    I (literally !) have a brand new GX and brand new X01 RD in my hands. I am looking at them extensively and cannot tell any difference whatsoever other than the silk screened name. But, the X01 is 10g lighter, so there must be some difference. I had an X01 on a previous bike that completely blew up for no reason that I could tell, so who knows.

I am a total parts snob generally, but I am thinking I will just use the GX derailleur as I plan to switch to XTR as soon as I can and the X01 will be worth more used. But you never know how things go and if it stays on there indefinitely it will be fine. All reports are it shifts exactly the same. From what I remember there is supposed to be one more plastic vs metal part or something, and there was some people talking on one of the Eagle threads about SRAM eagle RD's blowing up and it seemed like more of them were GX but also more people probably run GX. Again, I am holding htem both in my hand and inspecting them closely and I cannot tell the difference.

Oh I remember what it was, I think the GX spring is made from a slightly less expensive material and may be more prone to failure ? If you really care read the giant thread on this forum with "Eagle" in the title. All the discussion you could want on it.
    For what i know, GX spring made of steel, XO1 made of titanium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    If you could change only one GX part (derailleur or shifter) to XO1, which one would you upgrade first?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I have GX Eagle on one bike and XO1 Eagle on another. Aside from whatever mild weight penalty for GX, there is zero performance difference between the two.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Rollin 29s
    Its looks good, but somehow the 11 speeds GX derailleur not working smooth (at list for him) compare to the XO1 i had (both of us using X1. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    He probably needs to get a derailleur alignment tool and align it. I’ve found that the 12 speed is pretty sensitive to alignment with 10-50 gears. I’ve bumped my derailleur on something I rode past and it was ghost shifting all over the place. There’s more gear spacing on a 10 speed, and therefore more margin for error/ less sensitive to misalignment than the 12. When the Eagle is aligned it shifts perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    The X01 shifter has an adjustable lever. I much prefer this to GX to dial in perfect ergonomics. If you run your shifter on your brake lever this will be more useful than if you run separate clamps for both. I also feel the GX shifter "snaps" with a bit more authority but that's pretty negligible.

The X01 derailleur I can't really comment on performance difference however there is one difference I prefer on the X01. That is the cable pulley on X01 is bolted in and thus removable/serviceable whereas the pulley on the GX derailleur is riveted in and not removable. I mention this because there is an aftermarket pulley with a bearing vs stock plastic bushing on both. Not to mention the ability to clean and lube the pulley on X01. The XO1 derailleur with the bearing pulling installed does perform noticeably smoother than either. With that GX works very good and I have zero problems running it.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I have GX Eagle on one bike and XO1 Eagle on another. Aside from whatever mild weight penalty for GX, there is zero performance difference between the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    The X01 shifter has an adjustable lever. I much prefer this to GX to dial in perfect ergonomics. If you run your shifter on your brake lever this will be more useful than if you run separate clamps for both. I also feel the GX shifter "snaps" with a bit more authority but that's pretty negligible.

The X01 derailleur I can't really comment on performance difference however there is one difference I prefer on the X01. That is the cable pulley on X01 is bolted in and thus removable/serviceable whereas the pulley on the GX derailleur is riveted in and not removable. I mention this because there is an aftermarket pulley with a bearing vs stock plastic bushing on both. Not to mention the ability to clean and lube the pulley on X01. The XO1 derailleur with the bearing pulling installed does perform noticeably smoother than either. With that GX works very good and I have zero problems running it.
    In that case, first i'll start with replacing the GX shifter to XO1 shifter, and the rest of the drivetrain parts i'll replace slowly slowly to XO1 version down the road when needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's more views of GX. Some find they can use a XT 11sp derailleur if NX or GX isn't working for them.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/components/r...r-1099044.html