Sram eagle xo1 shifter canít cover full range of cassette- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sram eagle xo1 shifter canít cover full range of cassette

Back story - brand new build with full XO1 eagle drive train, derailleur hanger has been checked with alignment tool and is perfect. New shimano sp41 housing and new shimano inner cable.

For the life of me I cannot get the derailleur to travel the full cassette. If I align the middle of the top jockey wheel with the outside edge of the small cog ,as per sram install instructions, once I shift up the 12 speeds (11 clicks) to the largest cog the jockey wheel does not line up with the largest cog due to a lack of cable tension. But if I add enough cable tension to achieve the alignment at the largest cog when I change back down to the small cog the derailleur wonít reach the low limit screw and now the jockey wheel is out of alignment with the small cog, due to too much cable tension.

Anyone have any suggestions, as I really canít see any Ďfixí , thanks

Hitching a ride
    If you have a direct mount hanger and left the b link on, it would act like this. https://reviews.mtbr.com/shimanos-ne...ailleur-option

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
    New shimano sp41 housing and new shimano inner cable.

Anyone have any suggestions, as I really canít see any Ďfixí , thanks
    Could your housing be too short?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Could your housing be too short?
    Donít think so, internally routed and is in stops at both ends.

mtbr member
    Do the first 11 clicks shift well? Both ways?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Do the first 11 clicks shift well? Both ways?
    Not as nicely as I would expect and when in the largest cog I can see that the chain is only just laying onto the teeth on the outside edge. Ideally I feel it needs to go further across but the only way I can achieve this is with more cable tension which then buggers up the change at the small cogs.

mtbr member
    Not as nicely as I would expect and when in the largest cog I can see that the chain is only just laying onto the teeth on the outside edge. Ideally I feel it needs to go further across but the only way I can achieve this is with more cable tension which then buggers up the change at the small cogs.

Oops, actually I meant the first 10 clicks/11 gears. If those aren't shifting absolutely perfect I'd suspect some sort of cable restriction, I know it's a new cable but it's possible there's a flaw somewhere along the line.

If those gears are shifting like butter you might try turning the low limit screw out about 1/2 turn or so.
    I brake for stinkbugs

since 4/10/2009
    Will the derailleur move the chain the full range of gears if you completely disconnect the cable and just push the derailleur with your hand?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Will the derailleur move the chain the full range of gears if you completely disconnect the cable and just push the derailleur with your hand?
    Yes, so my limit screws are set right, there just isn't enough cable tension to get it all the way from the small cog to the large one and hit the limit screws properly.

mtbr member
    Yes, so my limit screws are set right

Not necessarily, sometimes even if you can push the derailleur all the way up the cassette by hand the cable needs the limit screw a little further over to make the shift cleanly. Might be worth checking anyway.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Not necessarily, sometimes even if you can push the derailleur all the way up the cassette by hand the cable needs the limit screw a little further over to make the shift cleanly. Might be worth checking anyway.
    Yip, I know what you mean, Haven't tried that yet so will give it a shot, thanks

mtbr member
    Also the b-screw adjustment is pretty critical with that system, might want to double check that too. Good luck!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Shifter on 2 gear on setup?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Donít think so, internally routed and is in stops at both ends.
    That doesnít necessarily mean it doesít get too tight across the range of motion. Post up some pictures.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas m View Post
    Shifter on 2 gear on setup?
    Donít quite understand what you mean. Are you asking if it shifts to second gear ok ?

Hey, Fish.
    I suppose you could disconnect the cable, then push the derailleur by hand. If you can push it by hand and it goes the full travel... well... you know your derailleur is ok.

This brings to mind a situation years ago with a friend's 3x9 setup. She had just got it back from a tune-up at the shop, and she was having trouble shifting on the chainring. No biggie, I thought, and tried to whip some adjustment on it... but I couldn't get it!!!!

It took a few minutes of staring at the derailleur to notice that the "mechanic," rather than routing the cable over a little guide to the clamping screw, and routed the cable under. This made for a different length of the lever, and insufficient travel of the derailleur. Take a look at the cable, and make sure it's routed and clamped properly at the derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Donít quite understand what you mean. Are you asking if it shifts to second gear ok ?
    If the shifter is in 2 gear and the casette is i 1 gear (smallest). I have done this misstake.

Hitching a ride
    Post a picture of the back of the derailleur (where the cable comes out of the housing and attaches) in the easiest gear you can shift to.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions, with a bit of practice mixing cable tension, b-screw adjustment and the high low stops I have got it working satisfactory.
    Thanks