SRAM EAGLE AXS ghost shifting and skipping? I doubt a shop manager claims.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

SRAM EAGLE AXS ghost shifting and skipping? I doubt a shop manager claims.

I spoke with a bike shop manager that claimed Pivot brand bikes need more maintenance and removal and replacement of suspension bearings. He claims it is more difficult, time consuming and more expensive? He said it is over $1k to buy the tools needed to change bearings. I wonder if there is any truth to his claim.
    He also said SRAM Eagle AXS was junk and that he had a lot of ghost shifting. He also said it was 2 years old. Any of you folks agree?
    Was the first generation problematic?
    I have some doubts about his claims.
    Thank you. Good riding to you!
    Last edited by mtnbikerva1; 10-25-2020 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    They guy is basically wacko.
    What, me worry?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Than what? I have a Pivot, what extra maintenance have I been doing?

AXS is probably the most least-ghost-shifting system ever invented, since it forces the derailleur to keep in sync with the cog, always.

This guy is an idiot and should be told so. In general, I think ghost-shifting has not been an issue for around 15 years, vs. at that time and before it was sometimes an issue, often related to cable routing and not enough free cable, but designs and drivetrains have smoothed that out considerably to make it pretty much a thing of the past. Systems like AXS go an extra step and force the derailleur to stay in position.

Any drivetrain will skip if the gears are worn.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Is this fake news? One, it’s not cool for a LBS to trash a manufacturer even its true. One of main reasons I bought my Switchblade is because of reliability. Even though I hold a resentment against Shimano for rapid rise, Shimano and SRAM produce good stuff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    He also claims I need to buy 3 different tools, at over $1,000 to R&R the suspension bearing, once a year!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Are any of the parts like the cage replaceable, like the cage? Like from a crash or stick? Is it worth it?
    Thank you.

since 4/10/2009
    There are some respectable consumer grade bearing tools on the market that don't cost anywhere near $1,000. But it's true, bearing tools aren't especially cheap. The more bearing sizes you have, the more you'll spend. I've done bearings with allthread, some nuts and washers, and using sockets for drifts. I don't like doing it that way, as it's kinda clumsy. But it works in a pinch and is cheap.

Also saying that you need to replace them yearly is a bit disingenuous. It's possible they might need to be done that often, but IME, bikes made within the past several years have greatly improved lateral stiffness on their rear suspensions (IMO, thru axles are a bit part of this) and this makes a huge difference in bearing replacement frequency.

Are you talking about the derailleur cage? Technically yes, some parts are replaceable. But in practice, it doesn't work out to be helpful most of the time. On cheaper derailleurs, a whole new derailleur is inexpensive enough and the parts expensive enough that it's not cost effective. For that matter, small dings that might be repairable that way simply aren't a big deal once you learn how to take care of your stuff. Small dings (the stuff you could potentially repair) are usually from mishandling the bike at home or in transit. Not from riding damage. When a derailleur goes when riding, it tends to just blow up and there's no repair possible. You might be able to cobble your bike into a singlespeed to limp home (if the derailleur didn't eat your spokes, too). But you're not fixing that derailleur once you get home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Derailleurs on an MTB are "wear" parts. You have to account for them being destroyed and be aware of the cost. I assume AXS is "better" than my $65 Deore RD, but you have to be able to pay the few hundred $ if it breaks off or cut your riding season short if you can't. I never broke one, but if I do, I would not be surprised based on the shrubbery I have to pull out after rides.

Same with a Ferrari, better racing car than a Corolla, but don't be surprised running cost are higher.

If the shop manager can't fix ghost-shifting, learn to do your own work. You at least care about the outcome.

The shop probably has tools that cost $1K. But they use them daily and need a higher grade. Same way they may have one of the fancy electric bike stands, which is not necessary for normal people.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What have you folks experienced with SRAM and warranty? Especially AXS. Say the derailleur becomes just floppy or loose enough that it does not shift crisply(is this ever a issue), or the button has a problem, just what ever may pop up?
    Do they help at all with crash replacement/my fault?
    Thank you folks.l

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1 View Post
    What have you folks experienced with SRAM and warranty? Especially AXS. Say the derailleur becomes just floppy or loose enough that it does not shift crisply(is this ever a issue), or the button has a problem, just what ever may pop up?
    Thank you folks.l
    I don't have direct experience with AXS warranty stuff, but I've seen SRAM handle warranty work on other stuff when I worked at shops (especially their brakes) and they tended to be pretty responsive.

That said, derailleurs don't "become just floppy" or anything like that. The pivots might get sloppy eventually, but that's a wear issue, not a warranty one. It generally takes a lot of shifting and a lot of riding for that to happen, so you'll be well outside your warranty period before it does. The jockey pulley bearings will wear out generally before the derailleur pivots do, and the pulleys are wear/replacement items as they are on all derailleurs. You might wear those out before your warranty is up, but they're wear parts like the chain is.

mtbr member
    Thank you folks.l

Sram honors their warranties fairly ime, AXS included. They don't offer any crash replacement deals.

mtbr member
    ^^^ totally. I've always had fast fair warranty treatment from SRAM (going through the LBS). If it's legit worn out or damaged, it's on you, not them.
    What, me worry?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ totally. I've always had fast fair warranty treatment from SRAM (going through the LBS). If it's legit worn out or damaged, it's on you, not them.
    Same, shops would switch out with a new product in the shop and then send the faulty one back, no issues, although this has been a pretty rare occurrence for me, so not trying to make it out like it's something frequent.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    He also said SRAM Eagle AXS was junk and that he had a lot of ghost shifting. He also said it was 2 years old. Any of you folks agree?
    Was the first generation problematic?
    I have some doubts about his claims.
    Thank you. Good riding to you!
    The MTB SRAM Eagle AXS was officially released April 2019 so at the time of writing (31 October 2020) it hasn't actually been out for a full 2 years yet. There are going to be some early release ones from before that but the vast majority of SRAM Eagle AXS drivetrains in use aren't going to be that old.

The previous road version SRAM Etap wireless shifting has been out for a bit longer. This was the version before SRAM AXS. As that ages apparently SRAM Etap can develop issues with the rear derailleur not shifting then shifting multiple gears at once. That seemed to be down to corrosion of the parallelogram pivots on the rear derailleur. Lubing the rear derailleur pivots frequently seems like a good idea to try and avoid this, particuarly if the bike is ridden in the wet a lot.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=153126

I haven't seen anything about similar with SRAM AXS as yet though.

It's quite possible that SRAM Eagle AXS will develop some issues as it gets older. The electronic shifter buttons and spring seem like a possible weak spot.