mtbr member
    Sep 2004

SRAM Double Tap Flat Bar Shifter Compatibility

I am in the process of changing my Fargo from the woodchipper bars to a set of Jones loop bars. The ti Fargo complete came equipped with double tap road shifters and I am trying to install a set of the flat bar double tap shifters.

The rear shifter works like a champ but the front is not providing the correct cable pull. I searched around and found an old post reporting that the front double tap will not work with the X7 fd and that you need to have an X9 or higher to be compatible. The comment was that the X9, X0, XX, are all a 1:1 ratio but that the X7 is not. Anyone else familiar with this, or the set up of the flat bar double tap shifters?

An X9 fd is not a major cost, but another option would be pulling the double taps and buying a set of standard XO shifters, but perhaps I would run into the same ratio issues with the X7 FD?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    So it's always bad when you have to update your own post but I wanted to comment that after re tuning the shifter and the front derailleur adjustment trim screw a couple of times and resetting my shifter cable I was finally able to get the front shifter to work correctly.

There really is no margin for error in set up with this shifter in the front. It has to be spot on in the throw or it won't work. Overall I am really pleased with the performance and shifts are precise and quick. The alloy paddles with infinite adjustment are a nice feature allowing the shifters to fit a broad spectrum of bar designs.