Spring problem on Crank Brothers Mallets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Spring problem on Crank Brothers Mallets

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their CB Mallets and found a fix:

The spring is moving sideways along the direction of the axle until the spring's tail makes contact with the inside of the main pedal casting. At this point the tail digs into the casting and stops the wings rotating. The wings will also stick in the open position after unclipping.

I've found that I can tap the spring back into a central position with a screwdriver and small hammer, but within a couple of rides it's moved back to digging into the casting again.

Looking at the pedal design, there is nothing stopping the spring moving sideways, other than simple friction on the wings. There's no locating stop.

The pedals have been back to 2Pure, the UK importers, who replaced the springs but ironically this simply moved the problem from the left pedal to the right!

I've done a search and can't see this problem coming up and quite a few of my riding buddies have the same pedals with no issues.

I can't see how to fix this. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Same exact problem. There looks to be no defect. It is purely a design issue. Mine are currently at Crankbrothers under warrenty via the dealer I bought them from. We'll see what happens.

Jul 2008

spring stick

Mine do the same. I had one st replaced under warranty but the new ones do the same. This is on the Acid 1 pedals though. Seems like they need to re-engineer a bit. Other wise just push it before rides and onbreaks if you stop for lunch, etc.. I switched back to SPD.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies Guys. So, not a common problem, but not unheard of either.

I've since been given complete new pedals by 2Pure (who have been excellent). Unfortunately due to injury I've not ridden since, so I don't know if they are OK or not.

≈ > ♥
    Mine used to do the same thing. Just rotate the body by hand a few times, and the spring will remove enough alu from the body to not dig in. Push the spring back into position, and keep an eye on it and adjust every so often.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I hate to resurrect an old thread like this, but I have had this issue almost since day one with my mallets i bout a year and a half ago. Today I finally had it cause i had to stop 3 times over the course of a 2 hour ride to push the spring back into place. I am going to call up Crank Bros tomorrow to see about getting them replaced. What kind of luck have you had with getting them fixed, I see one of you said they just moved the defective part to the other side, currently on the the right side pedal does this, the left has worked flawlessly the entire time.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I shot an email into crank bros to see about getting mine fixed, waiting to get an RA#.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    So I shipped them in with the RA number they gave me, so far no word on if they received them or are fixing this issue. Just wanted to bump this up again and see if anyone else has had success or failure when shipping pedals in on this issue.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

it's....
    Keep us updated on how this turns out.
    I've had 2 sets of Mallet C without this problem in the past.
    I'm now using CB Acids, and started having this problem.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    This is the first email i got from them;
    Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We can warranty this for you.

Once we receive them, we have a 3-5 day turnaround time before we send them back to you via UPS ground.

I just need your shipping address and phone number and then I will e-mail you a RA# and shipping details.

Thanks,

Anka Martin
    Then they sent me the RA number and crank bros address to ship them in, so far no word from them if they received the pedals or what..... They should of arrived at Crank Bros on Tuesday, so today is business day number 2 or 3 depending on how they look at it.....

MTBR Posting Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Hello

Thank you for sending your crankbrothers product to us for service. The repair is complete, and your part is now shipping back to you. We appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to be of assistance.

If you have questions or require further technical support, please let us know.

Best Regards
    As soon as I get them in my hands I will let you know what they look like.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It is more common than uncommon. Either run egg beaters or go to shimano DX pedals

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    I got them back today and as soon as it dries out a bit more I will take em out and test the fix. If you look at the picture below you can see where they installed small spacers on either side of the spring to prevent it from moving left or right while riding. From the looks of it there should not be any issues anymore. I will post up here after my first ride and let you guys know how well this fix works.

Sorry for the blur, my camera phone does not like to take close ups.....

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Trek Fuel EX 7
    Yes I am having the same problem with mine. Sometimes they get so tight it sticks making it really hard to get your foot to release. I would think as a safety issue they would do some kind of service bulletin.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by trivers
    Yes I am having the same problem with mine. Sometimes they get so tight it sticks making it really hard to get your foot to release. I would think as a safety issue they would do some kind of service bulletin.
    Just email them and they will fix them as a warranty issue.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr remember
    sorry to dig this deep, but anyone have the spring break on their malletts??

Can they be attained separately?
    Schralp it Heavy.

SS Clyde 29er
    Just had mine break. Did you ever get yours fixed by CB?

Members who have read this thread: 0