spider vs direct mount

Printable View

• 07-25-2014
    Spillway
    spider vs direct mount
    Why do single ring cranksets use a spider? Specifically, why does XX1 use a spider? Besides making it slightly easier to swap ring sizes, what are the other advantages over a direct mount chainring?
  • 07-25-2014
    thomllama
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spillway View Post
    Why do single ring cranksets use a spider? Specifically, why does XX1 use a spider? Besides making it slightly easier to swap ring sizes, what are the other advantages over a direct mount chainring?

I believe, kinda educational guessing, so not positive but it's actually lighter, and stiffer/stronger. The spider is light alum instead of steel or alloys as the rings are, and also usually hollow so even though it looks bulkier there is actually less material. Making the ring material go all the way to the spindle adds weight, plus all the holding and spacing hardware to hold the ring in place on direct mount adds weight. Also the taller flat ring will bend/flex easier than the molded spider. but isn't the XX1 spider removable to convert to direct mount?
  • 07-25-2014
    jetboy23
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    The spider is light alum instead of steel or alloys as the rings are, and also usually hollow so even though it looks bulkier there is actually less material.

I may be incorrect, but, i bet the spider is also an aluminum alloy. My ring and spider is more weight than my direct mount ring. I have no doubt that a ring/spider combo is stiffer and stronger than a lighter spiderless ring. I don't know if a ring of equal weight would be just as strong. I don't create enough power to push my rings limits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Making the ring material go all the way to the spindle adds weight, plus all the holding and spacing hardware to hold the ring in place on direct mount adds weight.

There is no added hardware to mount a spiderless ring that isn't already there. And the added material to go all the way to the spindle is no where near the bulk or weight of my spider from my AKA cranks.

In my application, SS, i don't exert forces to the side that would damage my rings. Possibly in high torque situations while at the limits of crosschaining on a 1x9/10 system, possibly spiderless has proven unreliable. Again, i don't have the power to test it and have done fine on my 1x9 running spiderless.
  • 07-26-2014
    Ratt
    well, raceface said screw it and went splined. I am sure others will follow. This is sort of a back to the future like press-in BBs, early xtr 3 ring cranks were spiderless.
  • 07-28-2014
    thomllama
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    There is no added hardware to mount a spiderless ring that isn't already there. And the added material to go all the way to the spindle is no where near the bulk or weight of my spider from my AKA cranks.

isn't there spacers and such to get proper chain line?
  • 07-28-2014
    fsrxc
    If you check the specs, direct mounts are ~50-80g, lighter than a ring/spider, but, one advantage of a spider like XX1 is you can change rings without removing the cranks, which you can't do with direct mount. Not an issue most of the time, but might be handy if you're changing gears to match a race course.
  • 01-23-2019
    mack_turtle
    yes, this is an old thread. I'd like to know how people feel about the topic now that DM rings have been around for a few years and most of us have gone to 1X drivetrains.

I damaged the spider on my SLX cranks but the 104 BCD rings I have for it are still good. I'd like to get a new crankset from Shimano or Race Face because I like using Shimano BSA bottom brackets. Shimano has mostly gone to a pointless proprietary asym 4-bolt design, so I am hesitant to do that. Most of the other manufacturers have gone to some sort of DM system.

I was thinking about getting a RD Ride cinch crankset with a RF ring. under $125 online for the whole setup and I have a BB for it already. sound like a good idea?

what DM interfaces, if any, are compatible?
    what DM cranks/ rings are most common and most affordable?
    pros and cons of different DM systems?