single speed crank with 9spd rear? or maybe go double crank?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

single speed crank with 9spd rear? or maybe go double crank?

I never use my granny gear and rarely use my large ring, so i was thinking of throwing a SS crank on my moots ybb. will this work well, do i need bash guards to keep the chain from derailing since i am using a 9spd cassette? i was looking at the white industries eno SS crank, lightweight and not to pricey. or also was looking at their mtb VBC crank with 2 rings. what do you guys recommend for this kind of setup?
    this bike will be used for a mix of trail and short track racing.
    also was thinking about these (FMF BMX crank arms) herd some other people are using them. Plus they are wicked cheap and light???

Thanks
    Last edited by willymcd; 06-12-2008 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I dont think the ENO cranks will work

I am thinking of making a 1X9 also and the eno cranks are designed for an 8sp chain.

You will need a chain guide, I just purchased the Rolloff chain guide from Speedgoat.
    Still looking for cranks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Correction

Check out the thread below: sounds like the ENO cranks will work!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421683

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Can either of you tell me how this worked out for you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm going to buy the cranks this week

Hopefully I will have it running in 2 weeks.
    I emailed White Industries and they said they have heard people using them as 1x9 cranks but they recommend the use of an 8 speed chain or single speed chain.

Can someone please chime in on there experiences?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The cheap route is to use a crank set you already own with a an unramped ring. I use a 32 tooth Blackspire ring on the hard tail I have set up this way. You will need some sort of system to keep the chain from flopping off of the ring. Some people use a bash guard or an old big ring in combination with something called a jump stop. I use a front derailleur that I've adjusted to sit right over the chain line.

It's a great set up, the 1x9 thing.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtracer
    Hopefully I will have it running in 2 weeks.
    I emailed White Industries and they said they have heard people using them as 1x9 cranks but they recommend the use of an 8 speed chain or single speed chain.

Can someone please chime in on there experiences?

Thanks

I have been running this setup with a 9 spd chain for awhile now with no problems. I honestly didn't know that they only recommended a 8 speed chain. It works flawlessly with the Rholoff guide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Works Great

Quote Originally Posted by mikesgroove1
    Can either of you tell me how this worked out for you?

Only issue is the eno cranks have a low Q factor which makes it more difficult to set up a Rohloff chain. I have one full ride on them and it shifted great, no dropped chain. I would recommend the 122mm BB for most bikes, the 113mm was to tight for my bike. White Industries website gives measurements for figuring the BB size - it is incorrect .

Members who have read this thread: 0