Should I get Di2 XTR or X01 Eagle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New question here. Should I get Di2 XTR or X01 Eagle?

I'm getting a custom steel hardtail trail bike made, and I'm weighing running Shimano Di2 XTR 11sp vs SRAM X01 Eagle 12sp.

The reason I have to make a decision is because if I go Di2, I'll have to get the proper internal Di2 routing set up, but if I go mechanical, I'll just get standard external routing.

Which would you recommend if money was no object?

I have truthfully not previously ridden XTR Di2, but my reasoning for wanting it is the utter simplicity of using it: it stays in tune, always shifts perfectly and doesn't need maintenance or tuning once set up (other than charging the battery and cleaning of course). In this application I would likely be running the 1x configuration with the 10-42T SRAM cassette anyway which would cover 99% of what I ride. I am not a huckster in a rocky area so my Di2 derailleur is pretty unlikely to be torn off in an accident or some such. I plan to have the direct mount rear derailleur hanger as well to aid shifting.

My reasoning for wanting Eagle is just the fact that 12 speed is probably going to be the new standard in a few years and I'd like to be current. However, I am a strong rider and I don't see the immediate need for such a big gear range on this bike for my local trails. Downside of getting eagle is that I will have to wait until June to get the parts, and I'll be getting the frame earlier than that in May. Plus, it's mechanical and all the downsides that come with that.

I don't have a problem with mechanical drivetrains at all, to preface. I like their immediacy, but I am very curious to try what Di2 offroad would be like.

Pricing between the two is going to be a wash for me (industry employee) so give me your take on why you'd choose one over the other.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'd go XTR. It makes neat noises. Also if it's anything like the road di2 you may be able to reflash when shimano goes to 12.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by csteven71 View Post
    [...] XTR. It makes neat noises.
    This man speaks the truth. It's like riding with a robot, especially if you have the front derailleur.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Option C... current X01 or XX1. The current gear range wants for nothing and it will be cheaper and lighter than Eagle. Depending where you live, you could "need" the 10-50 cassette but probably not. Tons of people running 30, 32, or 34 up front with an 11-36 cassette. 32 up front with 10-42 cassette gives you nearly the top end of 36x11 and the bottom end of 28x36.

But if you insist on one of the posted options, you can't really go wrong with either of them.

mtbr member
    I rode my buddy's Ibis Mojo HD3 which has the Di2 and it worked fine but I don't get the hype. It wasn't anything special at all and for the money and *potential* issues in they middle of nowhere, I wouldn't pay a premium for it and probably wouldn't even get it if it was the same price as XX1. It's not like shifting gears takes much effort anyway.

mtbr member
    I would go Di2 with one pod. It is on my radar if I can ever go back to serious MTB (I am currently on 1145). The Eagle 1050 to me seems a bit silly: badly spaced despite the 12 speed, almost as heavy as a 2x Di2 that however has more range.

A good alternative for 1x would be to go 1042 or 1146 (or maybe 1046). Nowadays you can do it all with Shimano or Shimano + One-up mini-drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    I would go Di2 with one pod. It is on my radar if I can ever go back to serious MTB (I am currently on 1145). The Eagle 1050 to me seems a bit silly: badly spaced despite the 12 speed, almost as heavy as a 2x Di2 that however has more range.

A good alternative for 1x would be to go 1042 or 1146 (or maybe 1046). Nowadays you can do it all with Shimano or Shimano + One-up mini-drive.
    10-50 isn't worsely spaced than 10-42 is... it's a 10-42 with a bailout added.

And of the gears that an 11-36 shares, the 10-42 only has 1 gear shift that is bigger to accommodate for starting at 10 instead of 11 (it goes from 18 to 21 instead of 19 to 21), so if 10-42 is spaced poorly then so is 11-36.

11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36
    10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    10-50 isn't worsely spaced than 10-42 is... it's a 10-42 with a bailout added.
    No much point in arguing, but the idea of a "bail out" gear might make sense for a 4-wheel drive but does not really make sense on a bike: 42 to 50 is a big gap and trails do not have "gaps". That could have been corrected (but then SRAM would have had to retool the whole cassette, instead of just adding an aluminum ring) but the problem is the same at the other end: 10 to 12 is a big gap but because you use the 10 you cannot really do anything about it.

I am not criticizing 1x, I am on 1x 1145 11 speed (very nicely spaced! 40 to 45 is great on the trail), but 2x 1140 (or 1142) has more range than any 1050 and all gears are nicely spaced as well.

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by TruTone View Post
    I'm getting a custom steel hardtail trail bike made, and I'm weighing running Shimano Di2 XTR 11sp vs SRAM X01 Eagle 12sp.
    Go hybrid either way - although you could probably run an XD driver hub, e13 eTRS 9-44T cassette, and the Di2 drivetrain bits with your choice of cranket. Still lots of gearing range on offer, better ground clearance, and the overall weight on that setup is going to be absolutely minimal (smaller cogs and chainrings can trim more weight than spamming meticulously made carbon fibre on shifter covers and stuff).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Di2 for sure.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I rode my buddy's Ibis Mojo HD3 which has the Di2 and it worked fine but I don't get the hype. It wasn't anything special at all and for the money and *potential* issues in they middle of nowhere, I wouldn't pay a premium for it and probably wouldn't even get it if it was the same price as XX1. It's not like shifting gears takes much effort anyway.
    Makes sense...Di2 is awesome with a front derailleur, rear shifting is no big improvement.

mtbr member
    First World problems...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Makes sense...Di2 is awesome with a front derailleur, rear shifting is no big improvement.
    I'm not part of the population who hates on front derailleurs. The reason I use 1x is that it gives me what I want at a lighter weight and less bar clutter. Having said that, it seems like a front derailleur that is set up right (you still have to set limits, height, etc on a Di2 derailleur) would perform with just about the same degree of performance as a properly set up mechanical front derailleur. If you're ok with having a front derailleur, the only advantage of Di2 seems to be the synchronous shifting and less bar clutter. Just thinking out loud

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    First World problems...
    Really. Waaaa. Getting a "custom" trail hard tail the builder should be giving some input I assue. OP should just get a *Edit* 27.5 eBike and get the best of everything........
    Last edited by JMac47; 04-02-2016 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo/more info
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NINER Rip9 RDO(future...)
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Why not have the bike set up for both? If you're going custom, you might as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    If you're ok with having a front derailleur, the only advantage of Di2 seems to be the synchronous shifting and less bar clutter. Just thinking out loud
    I have never seen a front derailleur shift anything close to as well as the Di2 does. The road bike stuff I have seen is just crazy, plus you will never hear your chain rubbing on the der cage w/ Di2. That being said, I would still stick with something cheaper on a mtnbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I have never seen a front derailleur shift anything close to as well as the Di2 does. The road bike stuff I have seen is just crazy, plus you will never hear your chain rubbing on the der cage w/ Di2. That being said, I would still stick with something cheaper on a mtnbike.
    True.

I have DuraAce Di2, and what is nice about it is that the front has the same feel as the back. Also, as you said, it trims automatically.

When I ride my XT bike with 2x11-34, I sometimes avoid shifting the front because it is such a long heavy push to go to the larger chain-ring. With Di2, I am always shifting as it is so effortless.

That being said, I also have XT 8000 1x, and it is nice enough that it makes me realize that a good 1x system doesn't really need Di2, as there is only one shifter and so there is no discrepancy in the feel between having two shifters.

So my thought is that Di2 is worth it for 2x systems, but less so for 1x systems.

In theory, a Di2 3x system would be the best. It would give the optimal 500% range, and 15 speeds using Synchro Shift.

As for which to get, I am not sure. If it is a 1x system, probably X01 Eagle over Di2. But XT Di2 2x system will be 13 speeds, which nice to have smaller steps between gears. I would have to compare weights and price though to decide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I am in the same dilemma. Using the Eahle XX1 right now but somehow after tested my friend's Di2, the synchronized shift is simply amazing and change my mind on 2x setup. So simple and fast. The shifting is so smooth and cool with ZZZZ sound responded instantly with every click. Also, the tuning is set and forget, not required maintenance to tune it.

I am considering sold my Eagle and get the Di2

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Yes, syncroshift is the wrench in SRAM's plan to eliminate front derailleurs.

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Only downside to Di2 is the rather cumbersome installation with finding the right placement of battery and junction box etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The only reason to get DI2 is Syncro Shift with 2x11 setup. It is way better than 1x11 or 1x12, besides it is waste to use DI2 with 1x setup. Otherwise for 1x11 I'd pick mechanical XTR.