Shimano XT cranks with Race face rings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano XT cranks with Race face rings

Kind of new to these standards...but I have Race Face cranks that seem to be having issues. I have relatively new Blackspire and a titanium granny...if I went with the Shimano XT cranks, would I be able to put the rings on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Should be able to...

I've got a LX HT II cranks set with a set of Race Face Team rings on it, no issues. Unless there's something different about the BS rings, I don't forsee a problem.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    As long as you have the right number of bolt holes and BCD it should work. I've got an Action Tec granny, a Race Face middle ring, and some bash guard or other on my XT cranks.

Issues I've had even with the right number of bolt holes and right BCD:

In the past I bought a Shimano non-XT small ring and had to do some dremeling to make it fit around the external BB. That was Shimano trying to force me into more expensive parts - other brands of small rings haven't had that problem.

I had to dremel the Shimano XT spider to make the Action Tec 20T titanium ring fit. If your Ti granny is 20T you may run into that issue as well.

The current XTR grannies have a different thickness than most others - don't think it'll fit on other cranks, and non-XTR grannies don't work on current XTR cranks.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I know some series XT rings have the same bolt pattern, but the amount of material on the axel side of the bolt hole varies. In other words, the holes align, but there is too much material and it hits the flanges on some cranks. Not a problem with 770 or 760, but it is an issue for 750 cranks i believe.

Members who have read this thread: 0