mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Shimano XT 780/781/786 rear derailleur questions for Lapierre Zesty

Hi All,

I bought a Zesty 329 AM which was damaged during shipment. I imagine the rear derailleur needs to be changed - I see that it is a Shimano XT M781 Via.

In addition, the Thru-axle is missing the lever end. The model is Formula LA XQR-12E.

My few questions:

1) Is the Zesty rear mech direct mount? Am I able to get an XT 780 vs a 781?

2) What length cage do I get - medium, or long?

3) Should I look for alternatives from maybe SRAM?

4) Where can I buy replacement pieces for the Thru-axle? Are there alternatives that I can purchase. (Can't seem to find it anywhere)

Thanks! (Will post some pictures of the RD when i get a chance)

mtbr member
    The thru-axle is more a component of the frame. Ask the frame manufacturer what thru-axles will work with them. If the derailure was damaged, possibly bent the derailure hanger too. Either assume it's good and try it out, or ask the manufacturer about new hangers too. Usually should be able to get a hanger for under $20 if it's a common frame.

Unless you want to replace the shifters, I'd look for the same make/model of derailure.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    The thru-axle is more a component of the frame. Ask the frame manufacturer what thru-axles will work with them. If the derailure was damaged, possibly bent the derailure hanger too. Either assume it's good and try it out, or ask the manufacturer about new hangers too. Usually should be able to get a hanger for under $20 if it's a common frame.

Unless you want to replace the shifters, I'd look for the same make/model of derailure.
    Thanks for the prompt response. How do I tell what derailleur length to go with? Am I able to go with Long? -- or should I stay with medium?

mtbr member
    Can't tell from thier specification sheet, but it looks like medium. You'll need to verify the derailure part number. If it's currently a medium and you plan on keeping the crankset the same, you could go medium or long cage if it's cheaper. The long cage may have more bounce, chainslap, and increased risk of dropped chains. However, I have a longcage on my 29er hardtail and I rarely drop chains, but I'm not doing big drops either. Lots of rocks/roots/less than 1' drops.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Can't tell from thier specification sheet, but it looks like medium. You'll need to verify the derailure part number. If it's currently a medium and you plan on keeping the crankset the same, you could go medium or long cage if it's cheaper. The long cage may have more bounce, chainslap, and increased risk of dropped chains. However, I have a longcage on my 29er hardtail and I rarely drop chains, but I'm not doing big drops either. Lots of rocks/roots/less than 1' drops.
    Thank Watts888,

Yes, I highly suspect its a medium cage derailleur. Good to hear that I can go with a long cage if I can find one for a better price. I will not be doing any big drops here so it will suffice.