Shimano M959 or Eggs S- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano M959 or Eggs S

I am using the same Shimano pedals (M525??) for more than 6 years and never had a problem (and went through lots of mud). My new 2003 XT crank is looking for some new pedal complement. I am thinking that some rotating weight saving will be nice, so Eggs looks better but lately I read some threads describing issues with them. What's the botom line?. Are the Eggs less durable?. What about the M959's falling screw issue?.
    Need to make a desicion so your help is appreciated.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    I am using the same Shimano pedals (M525??) for more than 6 years and never had a problem (and went through lots of mud). My new 2003 XT crank is looking for some new pedal complement. I am thinking that some rotating weight saving will be nice, so Eggs looks better but lately I read some threads describing issues with them. What's the botom line?. Are the Eggs less durable?. What about the M959's falling screw issue?.
    Need to make a desicion so your help is appreciated.
    959 work awesome, nothing falling off and I did hit'em. 540 work fine for half money. Both are much better then old style clip. Never could get used to Eggs, especially as I use "adventure" type shoes with softer sole, and do unclip in sometimes.

mtbr member

About the shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Axe
    959 work awesome, nothing falling off and I did hit'em. 540 work fine for half money. Both are much better then old style clip. Never could get used to Eggs, especially as I use "adventure" type shoes with softer sole, and do unclip in sometimes.
    What else could you not get used to with the Eggs?. Did you feel any difference in pedaling load with Eggs vs Shimano?.
    I am using the older Shimano M038 shoes (not sure if the model number was changed) and plan to get the new ones. Will these work better with the Shimano pedal?
    Also what are the differences about the 540 pedal vs 959?, what's missing?.
    More opinion and experiences will be appreciated.

GreenBonty

mtbr member
    im not a shimano fan but for me shimano pedals are still the best. sure, its not the lightest, the coolest, the more expensive pedals but they work great and last a loooong time. the tension screw is the only problem i ever seen with the 959 but the 540 is light for half the price and seems to not have the tension screw problem.

about two years ago i went from shimano 747 (the best pedals ever made) to eggbeaters.... the only pros of the eggbeater over the 747 is the weight and mud performance but its the worst pedal i ever had. at least, its the only pedal i ever had that needed to be serviced every couple weeks, needs new cleats twice a season, two new axles in two years and about four rebuild kits in two years. the eggs spring tension is toooo low for me. now im back to shimano and i wish i never had eggbeaters before. more reliable, no maintence, the cleats last a long time, adjustable spring tension and stronger too.

go with the m540 and be happy for a looooong time.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Also what are the differences about the 540 pedal vs 959?, what's missing?.
    Price and cool XTR matching color. A bit different bearings I guess, but both are plenty bombproof.

What I did not like about eggbeater was lack of platform, unstable feel if unclipped (foot rolls off), lack of tension adjustment and pressure points and wear on shoes.

I need tension adjustment as I use different tension on a long adventure ride and for a fast ride on familiar trails. Never released accidentally yet, while unclipping with 959 is almost telepathic - you are out before you realized you wanted out.

I absolutely understand why so many people do like Eggs though - but I can only express my own opnion.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

959 good

Shimano really dialed in the 959's in terms of easy reliable snap in, and consistent release. Part of what I believe makes them work well is they don't use that "mulit-release" cleat that Shimano also offers. I used these multi's on my previous 524's and hated them, released too easily when manuvering the bike on downhills and singletracks.

Even with mud on the bottom of my shoes, the 959's still click in without a hitch. There's just enough platform on them to pedal a bit unclipped, but I haven't had experience on egg beaters to give you the pro/cons.

mtbr member

M535 weight???

Thanks guys.
    Sounds like a Shimano consensus so far. That make sense to me as I am very happy with my 97 M535 and would not consider upgrading if it was not for the rotating weight gain. Despite their bulky construction I never had problems cleating in mud, never. It does collect their and needs to be washed at home though. Does anyone know the weight of the M535?. I could not find it on "weightweenies" listings.
    The Eggs are very light but I also hear they have clearence issues on rocky or rooty terrain and may hit the ground and uncleate in crucial moments.
    Any Eggs fan to share his point of view.
    I can get the M540 for $65+ship and the M959 for $105+ship at Jenson so it's not half the price but does it worth the extra $40?.

Recovering couch patato
    A female Time user I know went to Eggs after borrowing a pair of mine. Much easier entry and release, superious mud clearance (helpd me in the nastiest CX race this winter). They don' t have a tension screw, and don't need it either.
    Recently a guy asked to test my pedals. He stood over my bike with one of my schoes on, and was already hitting every entry attempt. e was sold right there and then.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    What about 959 or 540 vs Candy pedals? I've been riding Times for several months and still don't care for them. I don't like the lateral float and I'd like a pedal that's a bit easier to get out of quickly. It's a rare event, but I tipped over just today when cranking slow up a hill and lost momentum at the wrong moment when I hit a branch on the trail.

Besides 959, 540, or Candy, any other recommendations for pedals to get out of easily that are also good in the mud? At this rate, I feel like going back to my old VP-101's...
    A man is only a man, but a good bicycle is a ride.

jalepenio jimenez

Most are good if kept clean...

I used to ride 747's so many years ago. A truly great pedal that I still own. They are heavier, however, so I looked around for a good second best and came up with the eggbeaters.
    I am now riding eggbeater chromo's, but soon will install my already purchased stainless. These pedals have both advantages: weight, mud shedding, easy entry, quick maintenance, simplicity, cost, and lots of float; and disadvantages: no platform, no adjustment, get sticky in Moab sand, and typically vary from one pedal to the other in attachment to your cleats.
    I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. The spring around the body can become sluggish and retarded by fine sand, resulting in less then ideal release. But there is a cure. If you are riding in those conditions, you can lube under the spring with some evaporative (dry) type of chain lube.
    The difference in attachment between one pedal and the other bothers some people, but I have never had a premature release (from a pedal) happen to me. They may feel sloppy, but they retain your cleat as well as any pedal out there.
    If you haven't already bought them, look on e-bay for them: mucho cheaper.
    Another pedal you may be interested in is the B-bop. Light, lots of float, and shed mud fantastically. I've never even seen a pair of these pedals, but I read alot.

mtbr member

540 and 959 and almost identical

Compare the 2 side by side. Very Slightly better finish on the 959, and it uses allen head screws instead of crossheads. Spindle is black on the 540 and it weighs 5grams more than the 959. Its a great pedal - if you like your 747 you'll definately like this one.

Trail rider and racer
    Here is my thoughts:

If it were not for the light weight and mud shedding abilities of my Egg beaters I would be using Shimano M959s again. I think Shimanos pedal is superior for a number of reasons:
    • No getting relased out of the pedals in rocky terrain etc
    • Much much easier to get into, when on the run (Say restarting a climb etc)
    • Not slippy when wet
    • Reliable (Not that my eggies arnt)
    • Flawless desing, with no real aspects of the pedals performance that annoy riders.

For what its worth I love my eggies but the design is flawed to an extent IMHO.
    • Unwanted unclipping of pedal when in rocker terrain
    • Harder to get into when on the run, say on the race course..
    • To easy to get out off IMHO
    • Can be slippy in wet conditions when getting in to them.

Why I love eggies:
    • Light weight
    • Mud shedding ability
    • Simplistic looks

Trevor!

mtbr member
    the 959 have a more solid feel, you know youre clipped, and a better spring tension too.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member

about the weight

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Here is my thoughts:

If it were not for the light weight and mud shedding abilities of my Egg beaters I would be using Shimano M959s again. I think Shimanos pedal is superior for a number of reasons:
    • No getting relased out of the pedals in rocky terrain etc
    • Much much easier to get into, when on the run (Say restarting a climb etc)
    • Not slippy when wet
    • Reliable (Not that my eggies arnt)
    • Flawless desing, with no real aspects of the pedals performance that annoy riders.

For what its worth I love my eggies but the design is flawed to an extent IMHO.
    • Unwanted unclipping of pedal when in rocker terrain
    • Harder to get into when on the run, say on the race course..
    • To easy to get out off IMHO
    • Can be slippy in wet conditions when getting in to them.

Why I love eggies:
    • Light weight
    • Mud shedding ability
    • Simplistic looks

Trevor!

As I understand it, weight saving is the main parameter for the Eggs users. The light weight realy impressed me to but I am very interested to know what was the difference you felt with the lighter Eggs. When I ride lighter wheels than mine with tubless (I am still running tubes), I feel a big difference in the pedaling effort. Is getting a lighter pedal (100-150g savings) gets you a similar gain?.

Trail rider and racer
    As I understand it, weight saving is the main parameter for the Eggs users. The light weight realy impressed me to but I am very interested to know what was the difference you felt with the lighter Eggs. When I ride lighter wheels than mine with tubless (I am still running tubes), I feel a big difference in the pedaling effort. Is getting a lighter pedal (100-150g savings) gets you a similar gain?.
    No. I don't care what any body says, but in my opinion I don't feel the difference in weight saving from my egg beaters to my M959s as I spin. I would doubt anyone can fell the 50g per pedal saving, or whatever it is with my setup.

But its all little savings on a bike that add up in the long run.

Trevor!

Mar 2004

540`s vs Eggs

After using the Shimano 545`s for the past year and becoming increasingly involved in racing i decided it was time to go for a lighter pedal.......the 567grams weight of the 545`s is just way too heavy to be racing with.
    The weight of the Eggs (294g chrome version) really appealled to me and when i saw them on special here i purchased them......heres my observations...
    Pros...
    *Simplistic design
    *Good value ($139 on dirtworks.com.au special)
    *Held foot in quite well
    *Release seemed quite consistent
    Cons...
    * I hated the fact that if you "missed" the pedal, it would roll under your foot....losing valuable time in a race situation as you tried another shot at it.
    * Very little platform to use if riding technical sections and unclipped.
    * Brass cleats.....designed to wear out faster than the steel pedals and thus protect the pedals from wear.....the instructions say these cleats are good for around 500 hours of riding.......at $50 a pair to replace here I`d be spending at least $100 a year just on cleats.
    * No tension adjustment.
    After using the Eggs for a few weeks I was tempted to give the Shimano 959`s a go....I took the Eggs back to my LBS (who graciously offered to exchange them for another type).
    Shimano 959`s were not in stock (apparently none available in Australia at this point in time....or so the LBS says...) so i swapped the Eggs for a pair of 540`s.
    As best as i can see these are a virtual clone of the 959`s but have an additional weight of 4 grams, yet are half the price of the 959`s.
    Here`s my verdict on the 540`s.
    Pro`s.....
    *Easy in....no misses with these.
    *Release is excellent....just adjust it to what you like.
    *Platform is small, but plenty enough to work with.
    *Weight....350grams is outstanding for the price.
    Uses standard Shimano SH51 cleats.....I`ve used one pair for ages and still havent had to replace them.
    Cons...
    Not as light as the Eggs....but is 50grams that noticeable?
    I`d imagine they wouldnt shed mud as good the Eggs
    No fitting for a spanner on the spindle....and needs a 8mm Allen key...quite a big key to carry in your Camelbak should you ever need to tighten the pedals on the trail

Anyway, hope this helps...
    Cheers Andy

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    After using the Shimano 545`s for the past year and becoming increasingly involved in racing i decided it was time to go for a lighter pedal.......the 567grams weight of the 545`s is just way too heavy to be racing with.
    The weight of the Eggs (294g chrome version) really appealled to me and when i saw them on special here i purchased them......heres my observations...
    Pros...
    *Simplistic design
    *Good value ($139 on dirtworks.com.au special)
    *Held foot in quite well
    *Release seemed quite consistent
    Cons...
    * I hated the fact that if you "missed" the pedal, it would roll under your foot....losing valuable time in a race situation as you tried another shot at it.
    * Very little platform to use if riding technical sections and unclipped.
    * Brass cleats.....designed to wear out faster than the steel pedals and thus protect the pedals from wear.....the instructions say these cleats are good for around 500 hours of riding.......at $50 a pair to replace here I`d be spending at least $100 a year just on cleats.
    * No tension adjustment.
    After using the Eggs for a few weeks I was tempted to give the Shimano 959`s a go....I took the Eggs back to my LBS (who graciously offered to exchange them for another type).
    Shimano 959`s were not in stock (apparently none available in Australia at this point in time....or so the LBS says...) so i swapped the Eggs for a pair of 540`s.
    As best as i can see these are a virtual clone of the 959`s but have an additional weight of 4 grams, yet are half the price of the 959`s.
    Here`s my verdict on the 540`s.
    Pro`s.....
    *Easy in....no misses with these.
    *Release is excellent....just adjust it to what you like.
    *Platform is small, but plenty enough to work with.
    *Weight....350grams is outstanding for the price.
    Uses standard Shimano SH51 cleats.....I`ve used one pair for ages and still havent had to replace them.
    Cons...
    Not as light as the Eggs....but is 50grams that noticeable?
    I`d imagine they wouldnt shed mud as good the Eggs
    No fitting for a spanner on the spindle....and needs a 8mm Allen key...quite a big key to carry in your Camelbak should you ever need to tighten the pedals on the trail

Anyway, hope this helps...
    Cheers Andy
    Your tempting me to give the 540s a go for a change. A guess a weight compromise could be the light weight times which around 250g which would be 38g heavier then my Eggies...

Hmm, this is tempting.
    Trevor!

Mar 2004

Time ATAC XS

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Your tempting me to give the 540s a go for a change. A guess a weight compromise could be the light weight times which around 250g which would be 38g heavier then my Eggies...

Hmm, this is tempting.
    Trevor!
    I had a good look at the Time ATAC XS in the LBS as well as the 540s.....looked very nice and a had a platform that looked very similar in size to the 540`s.
    The price was around $285, but these again had a brass cleat (as per the Eggs) and i think from memory the weight of the XS was around 330g.
    I havent seen the Time ATAC XS Carbon...but i think the weight was somewhere in the mid to low 200g`s.
    Another handy pro of the 540 is that it doesnt seem to have that retention screw debacle that so many people complain of in the 959`s.....I`ve wound mine out fully to see if it would come free but it holds in just fine.
    Cheers