Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Shimano m8000

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    38

    Shimano m8000

    I'm going to be redoing my drive train with a 1/11m8000 group any one have experience with it is it good? I think for the shifter I'm going to go m9000 Xtr and every thing else xt. I'm 150 pounds will I have any problems with the 11 speed chains since they are made of thinner metal?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    36
    No. If you don't have one, buy a chain wear gauge and measure your chain stretch regularly. This way you can replace the chain in time to avoid excessive wear on the cogs and (less) chainrings. This of course also prevents you from wearing the chain to the point where it will fail on you.

    Michael

    EDIT: I am answering "No." to the question of whether you will have problems with the thinner chain.
    Last edited by molsen234; 11-17-2015 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Ambiguity

  3. #3
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10,004

    Shimano m8000

    Better yet, use a 12" ruler. Measure pin to pin, dead center.

    Past 1/16", time to go.

    Also, chain wear happens at the bushings (pins). To my knowledge, plate thickness won't change that much.
    Death from Below.

  4. #4
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    11,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtallday View Post
    I'm going to be redoing my drive train with a 1/11m8000 group any one have experience with it is it good? I think for the shifter I'm going to go m9000 Xtr and every thing else xt. I'm 150 pounds will I have any problems with the 11 speed chains since they are made of thinner metal?
    Lots of threads/posts of content m8000 users on here.
    I'm assuming you're worried about chain breakage rather than wear.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by molsen234 View Post
    No. If you don't have one, buy a chain wear gauge and measure your chain stretch regularly. This way you can replace the chain in time to avoid excessive wear on the cogs and (less) chainrings. This of course also prevents you from wearing the chain to the point where it will fail on you.

    Michael

    EDIT: I am answering "No." to the question of whether you will have problems with the thinner chain.
    Thanks helps a lot

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    774
    Shimano also claims that their 11-speed chains are stronger and more durable than their 10-speed chains, due to how they're manufactured. Personally, I don't doubt it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    Shimano also claims that their 11-speed chains are stronger and more durable than their 10-speed chains, due to how they're manufactured. Personally, I don't doubt it.
    Oh sweet hope that's true

Similar Threads

  1. Shimano announces XT 1x11 (M8000)
    By HSracer in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: 07-30-2016, 03:23 PM
  2. Shimano XT M8000 Brakes F/R $166, other Shimano...
    By grandsalmon in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-03-2015, 12:01 PM
  3. Shimano M8000 hose change
    By FreeZ in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM
  4. M8000 Shimano Components?
    By Nash04 in forum Components
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM
  5. Any info on when the Shimano m8000 11-42 cassette will be available?
    By SB666 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-11-2015, 10:38 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.