Shimano i-spec: Pros/Cons- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Shimano i-spec: Pros/Cons

Done some searching but not really coming up with any good answers.

It seems the benefits of the i-spec is lighter weight. Limitations to my eye seems to be the shifters cannot be rotated for personal position like bar mounted shifters unless the brake lever is rotated as well. Am I right here?

Also, if a crash occurs I could see a situation where the ispec shifter and the brake lever both are compromised whereas separate shifter/levers at least have a fighting chance of surviving the crash based on taking the force of the crash individually.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this before I commit? I like the idea of the ispec. I don't fall much mainly riding XC, but figured I'd seek some experience from others.

What does one gain/lose with the i-Spec shifter?

mtbr member
    I-Spec Pros - tiny weight saving, less clutter in cockpit, only need to undo one nut to adjust position together.

Cons - can't have indicator windows. Yes in a crash you are marginally more likely to lose shifter and brake function together, but in reality the biggest problems I've had in crashes is the brake (which sticks out more than the shifter and so usually takes the brunt of the impact) being forced into the plastic shifter body and messing up its operation. This can't happen with I-Spec as they rotate as one unit. Lateral adjustability is better with I-Spec as the clamps don't get in the way of each other, and although rotational adjustability is nil, this was limited on non-I-Spec anyway by the brake lever getting in the way of the shifter.

TBH its not a big deal either way, but if buying new I'd go for I-Spec, because its just a neater solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    I-Spec Pros - tiny weight saving, less clutter in cockpit, only need to undo one nut to adjust position together.

Cons - can't have indicator windows. Yes in a crash you are marginally more likely to lose shifter and brake function together, but in reality the biggest problems I've had in crashes is the brake (which sticks out more than the shifter and so usually takes the brunt of the impact) being forced into the plastic shifter body and messing up its operation. This can't happen with I-Spec as they rotate as one unit. Lateral adjustability is better with I-Spec as the clamps don't get in the way of each other, and although rotational adjustability is nil, this was limited on non-I-Spec anyway by the brake lever getting in the way of the shifter.

TBH its not a big deal either way, but if buying new I'd go for I-Spec, because its just a neater solution.

Totally agree with you....I have been using the I-spec stuff for 2 years and have had no issues...even with crashes...I don't torque down on the brake clamp...I have it torqued down enough so it doesn't move during a ride but loose enough so that it moves in the event of a crash...similar to my motocross..

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Re: Shimano i-spec: Pros/Cons

Anything that would work with my sram x0 shifters and XTR brakes?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Anything that would work with my sram x0 shifters and XTR brakes?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Maybe These - Problem Solvers Mismatch Adapters

Problem Solvers

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    I run i-spec saint and was discussing this with a buddy of mine; while I like it, he did point out that to adjust the shifter laterally, you basically have to remove the whole brake unit, undo the i-spec bolt that holds the shifter, remount, then rinse and repeat. You also can't adjust the shifter vertically, it's fixed in relation to the brake lever.

Members who have read this thread: 1