mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Shimano chainrings on Specialized Strongarm II

I have an old Specialized Strongarm II crank set that appears to have pretty worn chainrings. 2000 model with 4 bolt pattern. I believe these are the same as shimano xt or FSA who purchased the shimano rights? The chain refuses to stay on the middle chainring under heavy load. I found a set of shimano m780 rings that match the BCD, but the teeth do not match. Mine is a 22,32,44 and these are 24,32,42. Will this cause an issue? Mine is a 9 speed setup and these say 10 speed.

Before anyone tells me to just replace the crank this isn't an option. The point of this bike was to build a good bike on a budget until I can buy a new one

mtbr member
    They should work fine but don't quote me on that. The difference in teeth shouldn't be a factor.

I wasn't going to tell you to just replace the crank but since you brought it up, how much are you paying for all three rings? A decent complete crankset (including new bb) can be had for around $60, which is often less than buying 3 individual chainrings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    They should work fine but don't quote me on that. The difference in teeth shouldn't be a factor.

I wasn't going to tell you to just replace the crank but since you brought it up, how much are you paying for all three rings? A decent complete crankset (including new bb) can be had for around $60, which is often less than buying 3 individual chainrings.
    I found these rings for $20 for the full set.

I paid $60 for a 2000 model specialized s works mtb frame, shimano xt front derailleur, deore rear derailleur, this strongarm crank, and Easton handle bars that are all on this bike. He also threw in another 19" Fuji frame, 3 sets of road bars, a few chains, a mavic 26" rear wheel and some other parts. Deal of a century that I couldn't pass up. This is why I would like to reuse as much of this lot as I can. So far it's worked out aside from these rings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think the crank was made by Sugino. I know the ForeArm crank was.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I was confused on that. Some said Sugino with the 5 bolt crank and others said shimano with the 4 bolt on later models.

I got the chainrings and they fit fine. I am struggling with bad chain sucking on the lowest gear. I put my original 22 tooth back on and all was fine. Is there something in the 24 tooth that is causing issues? the guy at the bike shop said the chain was still in good shape and it works fine on the other two new rings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When I had chain suck, it was caused by worn out teeth on the ring. 22 is better anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SejRamkas View Post
    I am struggling with bad chain sucking on the lowest gear. I put my original 22 tooth back on and all was fine. Is there something in the 24 tooth that is causing issues? the guy at the bike shop said the chain was still in good shape and it works fine on the other two new rings.
    More than likely your chain is causing the issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm just gonna run the 22 tooth for my ride today. Would it benefit me to buy a new chain since I have a new cassette and now new rings? The two larger ones work fine and the guy at the shop gauged the chain and said it was good. Hence why I'm confused.

P.S. I have learned now there is no such thing as a low budget bike build. Next one I do will be done right with all new parts. Much less of a headache....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SejRamkas View Post
    I'm just gonna run the 22 tooth for my ride today. Would it benefit me to buy a new chain since I have a new cassette and now new rings?
    Yes, your chainsuck will go away. Many other benefits as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Examine the 24 tooth ring and see if the teeth have flat spots on the front edge.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Examine the 24 tooth ring and see if the teeth have flat spots on the front edge.
    The 24 tooth is brand new. I wouldn't expect it to have any issues.

mtbr member
    The 4 bolt Strongarm II is Shimano sourced. No problem fitting the Shimano's on. You are aware that you purchased a chainring set for a 29'er? 26" bikes use 22-32-44. This subtle change took place during a re-design approach by the gearing guru's who went to larger rear sprockets and re-vised the triple set-ups on the earlier 29'ers before going to double and now a trend is towards a single chainring.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Malcolm View Post
    for a 29'er?
    If that's true, it doesn't make much sense, because the bigger wheels would need a smaller granny gear, not a bigger one. A bigger granny gear cancels out the benefit of a larger cassette so you just end up with a heavier drivetrain.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    To me, it doesn't matter what wheel size someone says it's designed for. The way I do it is if using smaller range cassette (11-34/11-32), I put on a 22t. If I'm using the 11-36 cassette I'll use the 24t.

It's all about gear ratios and what you're comfortable with. Follow the trends if you want to and have the cash. Otherwise, just use what works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Well I abused the crap out of this setup this weekend on the trails and all was good. The largest and middle gear worked fine. Along with my original 22t granny gear I was having no issues. I may end up just getting a new chain and putting the 24t back on since the rear cassette and now the front chainrings are brand new...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    If I'm using the 11-36 cassette I'll use the 24t.
    36/24 = 33/22 so what's the point? You end up with less torque than 34/22 and a heavier cassette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    36/24 = 33/22 so what's the point? You end up with less torque than 34/22 and a heavier cassette.
    My earlier statement was of a industry observational nature. Yes, going from 26 to 29" made for a heavier bike drivetrain when they were 3x9, initially using 44-32-22. The change was required because the larger wheeled bikes were over-geared. At the introduction of the 42-32-24, the cassettes came with larger 32 & 34T sprockets the returned the gearing to the range that 26" enjoyed. The 2x10 came along with a extra cog replacing a whole chain-wheel, as 3x setups had a lot of over-laps and it removed a dreaded front chain-wheel gear change while riding. The rear sprocket grew some more. Now that 11 speed is here, for pure off-road riding, 1x11 has arrived with 40+ sprockets and a wide range of ratio's and no front change at all eliminating the front shifter, derailleur, and a chain-wheel. So, is this any lighter? Time to get out the scales to find out by making an assessment of all the options. O/K?

Eric

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Malcolm View Post
    The change was required because the larger wheeled bikes were over-geared. At the introduction of the 42-32-24, the cassettes came with larger 32 & 34T sprockets the returned the gearing to the range that 26" enjoyed.
    If they were really after the same gear-inch range comparable to 26, they should have come out with a 40/29/20 crankset. The association of a larger granny with larger wheels makes no sense. The larger wheels need more torque to turn, so you want either a larger cassette or a smaller crankset.

By the way, my 1995 Cannondale 26" came with a 42/32/24, long before 29er was common.

mtbr member
    By the way, my 1995 Cannondale 26" came with a 42/32/24, long before 29er was common.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. My old '92 Marin came out this way too, then I fitted a Strongarm II crankset of the 44/32/22 variety. Gave a much better ratio range for my style of riding. When the 29's came to our town, they were fitted up with this tall gearing and it was horrible with the 3x9. As I describe above in my over-view which is general by the way, gearing is an ever evolving process and sometimes is out of step with what you find as ideal. Personally, due to my own riding style and location, I like the 3x9, but I am reviewing this at present as I look at 2x11.

Eric