Shimano 12 speed with regular cranks and narrow wide chainring?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano 12 speed with regular cranks and narrow wide chainring?

Has anyone tried Shimano 12 speed chain,cassette, derailleur,shifter with regular cranks and narrow wide chainring? I want to know how nice or not nice the special 12 speed chain would work with a regular N/W chainring to use this way for now without doing new cranks/ring yet. Also I am running superboost cinch cranks and not sure if the 12speed wolftooth hyperglide + cinch chainring has the right offset or not? I have my chainline close enough for okay 11 speed shifting. Thanks.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noose View Post
    Has anyone tried Shimano 12 speed chain,cassette, derailleur,shifter with regular cranks and narrow wide chainring? I want to know how nice or not nice the special 12 speed chain would work with a regular N/W chainring to use this way for now without doing new cranks/ring yet. Also I am running superboost cinch cranks and not sure if the 12speed wolftooth hyperglide + cinch chainring has the right offset or not? I have my chainline close enough for okay 11 speed shifting. Thanks.
    The crank doesn't matter much for Shimano 12spd. Only inasmuch as you can achieve the chainline you want, really.

the chain works fine with any N/W chainring, but you have to use an Eagle quick link. If you use a Shimano quick link, you pretty much HAVE to use a special shimano 12spd compatible chainring, and availability on those might be great if you want a 30t or a 32t or 34t or so, or it might be crap if you want a 28t.

The wolftooth shimano 12spd rings come in boost and non-boost offsets for CINCH direct mount. Whether that will work for you is going to depend on exactly what your crank setup is now. What spindle do you have on yours now? What chainring offset do you have now? Is it flipped?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    The crank doesn't matter much for Shimano 12spd. Only inasmuch as you can achieve the chainline you want, really.

the chain works fine with any N/W chainring, but you have to use an Eagle quick link. If you use a Shimano quick link, you pretty much HAVE to use a special shimano 12spd compatible chainring, and availability on those might be great if you want a 30t or a 32t or 34t or so, or it might be crap if you want a 28t.

The wolftooth shimano 12spd rings come in boost and non-boost offsets for CINCH direct mount. Whether that will work for you is going to depend on exactly what your crank setup is now. What spindle do you have on yours now? What chainring offset do you have now? Is it flipped?
    Thanks for this great info! My cranks are normal RACE FACE AEFFECT CINCH CRANKS (Boost?) currently with a 28t ring flipped but chain line looks too far out at about 59mm so I may flip it back. I will use the sram 12 speed link and give it a try.
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks for this great info! My cranks are normal RACE FACE AEFFECT CINCH CRANKS (Boost?) currently with a 28t ring flipped but chain line looks too far out at about 59mm so I may flip it back. I will use the sram 12 speed link and give it a try.
    Looks like RF has 6 different spindle lengths available for the Aeffect cranks (1 of which is OEM-only and looks to fit the 83mm bb shell width and 2 of which appear to be fatbike lengths). They're outlined in this chart.

https://www.raceface.com/media/Crank...chainlines.pdf

I'm not quite sure which length you'd be using with a flipped ring (the ring offset will matter, of course) to get 59-ish mm. Some boost bikes can and do run non-boost chainlines. It seems for optimal performance, you should run the narrowest chainline the frame will let you run.

My bike is a bit of an odd duck. Rear hub spacing is boost, except with a 3mm offset to the drive side, so the chainline at the cassette would be closer to what you'd see on a superboost bike. However, the frame is designed to run a standard boost chainline. I originally ran it with a non-boost spindle (Turbine cranks) and a 3mm boost offset chainring dished outboard, but that didn't play very nicely with my chain guide. So I changed to a boost spindle and a standard chainring installed normally (dished inboard) to get the clearance for the top guide.

mtbr member
    I think my spindle length is 137 with a driver side only 6mm (or so) spacer. I will measure chainline with the ring flipped back to normal to see which is closer to the ideal 56.6mm next week when I'm installing my XT 12 speed der/shifter/chain/cassette. I will have my micro spline DT and i9 freehubs then also. Am I right that I am to use a Sram 12 speed link instead of the one that comes with the Shimano XT 12 speed chain?
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Thank you for this tip! I am using a 12 speed shimano chain with a wolftooth chainring. using the SRAM Eagle quick link made it work.

since 4/10/2009
    Am I right that I am to use a Sram 12 speed link instead of the one that comes with the Shimano XT 12 speed chain?
    If the chainring you're using is a narrow-wide ring that's NOT labeled as compatible with shimano 12spd, yes. If you have a compatible one, then you're fine using Shimano's quick link. RaceFace DOES make HG+-compatible rings now. I'm not using them because I wanted a 28t chainring. I do have a 30t Wolftooth HG+ chainring that I used for awhile, and it worked very well with Shimano's quick link. It was just too big for me to use with the 10-45 cassette (which I use for other reasons).