mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Shimano 10 spd RD compatable with 9 speed setup?

Probably a stupid question... but would a 10 speed clutch RD work on a 1x9 setup? Seems like the indexing is all from the shifter.

mtbr member
    Old topic... These RD's will work with SRAM 9sp triggers when wire is mounted other side of the bolt.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    -Mika

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    Seems like the indexing is all from the shifter.
    Not true. Google it. Dozens of posts here with details.

NedwannaB
    Seems like the indexing is all from the shifter.
    Exactly. 9&10 are different. That's why it doesn't work. As slash and mhelander commented been done with either trigger or grip shift SRAM 9spd. Doesn't work the opposite as in 9spd Shimano shifting 10 spd SRAM der.

The new mix match setup now seems to be using a new XT m8000 11 spd derailleur shifted by a Shimano 10 spd shifter to keep your current 10 spd drivetrain but get the benefit of better shifting if you are running an extended 10 spd cassette or add on cog.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys.

NedwannaB
    Thanks guys.
    Sounds like you need a new derailleur and finding 10 spd cheaper and easier to find. Am I close? 👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looking for something with a clutch. Have a Full XTR 9 3x9 setup I'm thinking of going 1x9 with... may be easier to E bay that and go 1x10 with the black Friday deals.

mtbr member
    I still use the XTR m970 gruppo on one of my bikes.
    I like the gear spread best for the type of trails I ride out here and wheel size combo.

I ended up grafting an m972 body with the m986/m985 clutch mechanism and cages. The bike I'm using this on is FS and was looking for a 9sp clutch solution. I'll post some pics tomorrow. Involves drilling a small hole and pressing out two of the pins & reassembly. Works perfectly like m986, better than the stock m972. Pretty easy to do and basically turns an m972 into a clutch RD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks, I am running a M972 as well on this 26'r.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I am running a M972 as well on this 26'r.
    Here you go,
    You can see where I drilled the bottom to gain access to press the pins out towards the top of the derailleur body (red circles). Don't drill the pins! You should feel the difference between the soft aluminum of the derailleur body and the steel pins. You only need to drill a hole small enough to press the pins out.

This is the tricky part, you'll need to find something pretty rigid to press those pins out, I used as shortened 1/16" pin punch. While not ideal, a small hex bit like the one below could work too. Don't beat them out, but rather press them out in a vice. You want the holes to be smaller than the pins so they won't fall thru when you reassemble. After reassembly, I filled just the bottom of the holes with Devcon (or JB weld will work) to seal.

Make sure to support the body where the pins are so it doesn't bend the ears when you press the pins in and out. They're in there pretty good. I used a small deep socket.

Be careful for the small o-rings that seal the pins (there is one on top and bottom of each pin) you'll need those on reassembly. You'll also want to swap out the upper jockey wheel pulley from the m972 to the m986 as it has more side play built in for 9sp chains/cogs.

Last edited by crconsulting; 11-25-2015 at 12:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Hum, wonder if I could something similar with the older 9spd RR RDs? That's the only thing I like the modern RDs for, the clutch and chain tension they keep, other than that 9spd works just fine and works better for me and my not so good thumbs, PLUS, to me RR just makes more sense in that both sides shift the same way
    Quote Originally Posted by crconsulting View Post
    Here you go,
    You can see where I drilled the bottom to gain access to press the pins out towards the top of the derailleur body (red circles). Don't drill the pins! You should feel the difference between the soft aluminum of the derailleur body and the steel pins. You only need to drill a hole small enough to press the pins out.

This is the tricky part, you'll need to find something pretty rigid to press those pins out, I used as shortened 1/16" pin punch. While not ideal, a small hex bit like the one below could work too. Don't beat them out, but rather press them out in a vice. You want the holes to be smaller than the pins so they won't fall thru when you reassemble. After reassembly, I filled just the bottom of the holes with Devcon (or JB weld will work) to seal.

Make sure to support the body where the pins are so it doesn't bend the ears when you press the pins in and out. They're in there pretty good. I used a small deep socket.

Be careful for the small o-rings that seal the pins (there is one on top and bottom of each pin) you'll need those on reassembly. You'll also want to swap out the upper jockey wheel pulley from the m972 to the m986 as it has more side play built in for 9sp chains/cogs.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hum, wonder if I could something similar with the older 9spd RR RDs?

Not sure that's possible because of the way they mount. The m972 "shadow" rear derailleur works because of how it's mounted to the hanger, it's mount is identical to the M985.
    Last edited by crconsulting; 11-25-2015 at 07:29 PM.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Jtek ShiftMate #6 supposedly makes a Shimano 10 speed Mtn RD work with Shimano 9 speed shifters.

http://jtekengineering.com/products/shiftmate-straight/

http://jtekengineering.com/resources...compatibility/

25 page thread on 9 & 10 speed compatibility: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...ms-646014.html

mtbr member
    That Jtek ShiftMate looks like a pretty low cost solution if it works.
    For the OP, you may want to consider adding the RAD One Up cage also if you are running 1x and go with the graft m972/m985 solution.