Shimano 10 Sp Chains?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano 10 Sp Chains?

Quick question here. Are the XT 10 speed chains and Dura Ace 10 speed interchangeable on to the XT Dynasis stuff?

I currently run two chains and rotate them after each of my weekend rides. The concept is when I get home from the ride, I clean my bike. After the cleaning, the wheels go back on and my "spare" chain goes on to the bike. This gives me ample time during the week to clean the dirty chain. I've done this in the past with my 9 speed stuff.

I don't know if it's just imagination but I swear there's a minute difference that requires me to make small adjustment to the shift barrel. Because I'm running a frankenstein drivetrain mixture of XT, Cannfield Brothers and 10 speed Micro-shift shifters and Shimano 9 speed derailleur I'm not sure if it's just my combo or if there really is a difference between chains.

mtbr member
    How dirty does your chain get? You may be the only person in the world that does this. Seems like a lot of hassle adjusting things every week. I would either not change chains at all or have two of the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fefillo View Post
    How dirty does your chain get? You may be the only person in the world that does this. Seems like a lot of hassle adjusting things every week. I would either not change chains at all or have two of the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks fefillo. They do get quite muddy/dirty at times. I would normally have two of the same chains but the reason I got the Dura Ace chain was the bike shop that I stopped by didn't have any XT chains right after I broke my XT chain. I should have waited but that's what I got. I put the Dura Ace chain on and ran with that for a while before I fixed the XT chain. I'm sure I'm not the only person out there that has two chains for one bike. But oh well, the main question still stands. Someone out there would be able to say definitively whether the two chains are interchangeable or not. Yes, I agree, it's not a good thing to have to make adjustments every time I swap a chain and the end result would be to put another XT chain into service. However, I just thought I'd ask the question.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    If you are concerned about the difference, for the relative small cost of a new chain. Swap it out.
    I rotate my chains once a month in the winter, in the summer I probably change it once.
    Now I've swapped to a single ring up front, I'll be rotating more regularly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Shimano says they are not.
    https://connect.shimano.com/publish/...sys_faq_s.html
    It says the new chain is designed to work with the new chain rings for better shifting.

Quote from another page: They also redesigned their Dyna-Sys specific asymmetrical chain (not like SRAM). The D-S chain got 4 distinctly different outer plates to speed shifting.

Having said all that, I bought a bunch of SLX Dynasys chains on sale and intend to use them on almost everything I own - road, MTB, 9 and 10 speeds.

mtbr member
    I run 10 SPD 105 chains on my 1x10 MTB (XT Cassette, NW Chainring). No issues and they last longer than MTB chains in my experience.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Quick question here. Are the XT 10 speed chains and Dura Ace 10 speed interchangeable on to the XT Dynasis stuff?

I currently run two chains and rotate them after each of my weekend rides. The concept is when I get home from the ride, I clean my bike. After the cleaning, the wheels go back on and my "spare" chain goes on to the bike. This gives me ample time during the week to clean the dirty chain. I've done this in the past with my 9 speed stuff.

I don't know if it's just imagination but I swear there's a minute difference that requires me to make small adjustment to the shift barrel. Because I'm running a frankenstein drivetrain mixture of XT, Cannfield Brothers and 10 speed Micro-shift shifters and Shimano 9 speed derailleur I'm not sure if it's just my combo or if there really is a difference between chains.
    Personally, I don't think a minor barrel adjustment after riding/ washing/ chain swap is a big deal or even abnormal. I like mine dialedin pretty tight, so I'm always monkeying with it anyway.

Shimano's FAQ talk about compatability with the chainrings. No mention of the cassetteso I wonder if anything back there matters. I'm sure the Shimano answer would be yes. Then again, there's a heck of a lot of people running KMC chains on road and MTB. Shimano wouldn't like that either, but they're fully compatible with both systems.

I'd make them the same when one wears out, just because I'm like that, but I seriously doubt that this is an issue.

Just my two cents. good luck with your ride!