mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Shifting Problems with Repaired Chain

Last night while riding, and I have no idea how, a pin popped out of my chain. Other than the link where the pin was being flared out, nothing else looked amiss. It's a 991 hollow pin chain (which I'm pretty sure my LBS mistakenly gave me when I asked for the cheapest chain with a powerlink), so I was just waiting for this to happen. Anyways, I removed the damaged link and reattached the chain to finish my ride, albeit one link shorter. Not surprisingly, I had shifting issues. I'm going to fix the chain tonight, but I was wondering if a shorter chain typically has such an effect or the RD may have been knocked out of wack? Any input?

Also, next time I get to the LBS, I'm going to get a new chain and the consensus seems to be Shimano are tougher. Will I be okay with a Shimano chain on a Sram cassette? i have a Shimano crank and rings. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The main problem with a too-short chain is the risk of damaging the RD or bending an axle if accidently(?) shifting to the big/big combination. Unless the chain can loop this with some slack (1" minimum) for the RD, bad things will happen.

Chain length shouldn't have an effect on shifting. After all, the effective chain length changes when switching chainrings. It might be that whatever damaged your chain also tweaked the RD, or it may be that the chain has a twisted or otherwise damaged link. Whatever pushed a plate off the end of the pin might also have disloged other plates setting up a future break. Inspect your chain carefully before any hard rides.

You can make DIY chain checker for dislodged plates by cutting a notch in a dead credit card, just wide enough for the chain to run through. When a dislodged plate comes through, it's wider width will bind giving it away.

Lastly, no problem mixing chains and cassettes. The critical dimensions affecting engagement are highly standardized, and all makers conform precisely to them. There are subtle differences in how the shape of the plates affect shifting, but I think makers exaggerate the difference in their claims.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Members who have read this thread: 0