Shifter - Rear Derailleur Compatibility / LX SL-M580 9spd Shifter with XT M761-SGS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. Shifter - Rear Derailleur Compatibility / LX SL-M580 9spd Shifter with XT M761-SGS

Hi,

I have an LX SL-M580 9spd Shifter mated with an XT M761-SGS (Long Cage) Top Normal Rear Derailleur and I would like to know if they should work together without any problems or was I unlucky and I received a "lemon" of a shifter.

The Gear Indicator has never positioned itself correctly when using the largest cog in the rear. It never goes past the position for the 2nd largest cog.

If I do a multiple shift to the largest cog, I always have to press the lever again to get the chain to stay on the largest cog. And then if I want to shift to the 2nd gear it jumps down to the 3rd and I have to use the large lever again to move up to the 2nd gear.

For those who like to state the obvious, the shifter has been properly ghosted/released before connecting the cable to the rear derailleur.

I would also like to know which is the stiffest gear cable housing available.

Thank you,
    Michael Holberton

Old man on a bike
    Those two should work together fine. Sounds like your derailleur is out of adjustment, perhaps check the low limit screw, cable tension and/or derailleur hanger alignment...but I wouldn't take the gear indicator's position to mean much. I don't know about stiffest derailleur housing, I just use good quality generic...what do you want from the housing it's not doing now?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Those two should work together fine. Sounds like your derailleur is out of adjustment, perhaps check the low limit screw, cable tension and/or derailleur hanger alignment...but I wouldn't take the gear indicator's position to mean much. I don't know about stiffest derailleur housing, I just use good quality generic...what do you want from the housing it's not doing now?
    Thanks for your response Bikinfoolferlife!

I have played around with all the above and I believe the alignment is fine. I never had these problems with the old 8 speed shifters that were previously on the bike.

I not long ago put new cable housing on the bike and, during my recent excursion to the Manu National Reserve east of Cusco, the internal wires of the housing had started to exit the casing, at the derailleur end, and then the shifting was all over the place.

The bike is an AMP B4 and the cable housing runs through the right chain stay.

The housing is supposed to be Shimano SIS-SP41 according to the tag that came with it. Shimano is engraved in the black casing.

So, besides wanting a stiff housing, I also want a housing where the wires will not start to move within the casing.

I have a good pair of Shimano cable housing cutters.

...idios...
    "I never had these problems with the old 8 speed shifters that were previously on the bike."

I have to ask it: you have also changed the chain and cassette to 9-speed?

For your "stiffest shifter housing" I would suggest Goodridge. Just make sure you get some heavy-duty plastic patches for wherever it contacts the frame/fork as it will very quickly start to leave marks/indents. Otherwise it's a very decent cable system.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "I never had these problems with the old 8 speed shifters that were previously on the bike."

I have to ask it: you have also changed the chain and cassette to 9-speed?
    Of course

Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    For your "stiffest shifter housing" I would suggest Goodridge. Just make sure you get some heavy-duty plastic patches for wherever it contacts the frame/fork as it will very quickly start to leave marks/indents. Otherwise it's a very decent cable system.
    Will have to see if I can order them from somewhere in the USA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbvfr
    So, besides wanting a stiff housing, I also want a housing where the wires will not start to move within the casing.

I have a good pair of Shimano cable housing cutters.
    I suggest milling the ends of the casing after cutting. This ensures that the strands are all the same length so they share the workload, and flattens the ends of the strands so they're not very likely to "leak" through the ferrules. After milling, open up the casing's plastic liner with a pointy object such as an awl or the classic sharpened spoke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here.

Well, I did a little experimentation by connecting the Deore 9 Speed shifter, on one of my rental bikes, to my AMP B4 and the shifting was better except for one aspect. It took a second go to move the chain from the biggest cog to the 2nd biggest cog. Also, I was able to screw in further the L limit screw.

This leads me to believe there is either something wrong with the Deore LX 9 speed shifter I have or it is not 100% compatible with the Deore XT rear derailleur I have.

Afterwards, I recut the ends of the cable housing and filed them as flat as I could with a hand held file in response to the reply from mechBgon.

I still have problems though, with the LX shifter, as currently it is only shifting 3 gears, instead of 4, when I fully depress the large lever.

It would appear that the LX shifter I have isn't pulling the same increment of cable for all gear positions.

How much effect could chain line have for the problems I have described?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Going back to the symptoms described in the first post, those parts are supposed to be compatible. At first glance, the symptoms suggest that maybe the indexing is simply out of adjustment. To test for that, simply pull the upshift trigger a bunch of times until the shifter is in its high-gear position, then push the downshift lever just a single click. You should get one shift with that first click. If it doesn't, then turn the cable adjuster barrel counterclockwise at the shifter or derailleur until the derailleur pulley is lined up under the cog it's supposed to have shifted to.

Members who have read this thread: 1