mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Shifter problems - help needed

tl;dr;
    I have just attempted to upgrade my groupset to a Shimano XT-8000. The shifter is not clicking enough. (9 clicks, instead of 10 for my 11-spd).

I have disconnected the cable from the derailleur to count the clicks - still only 9 clicks.

Where do I go next with the troubleshooting?

longer version:
    I bought this bike secondhand a few months back as a means to improve my mechanic skills. The Rear shifter broke a month ago so we replaced it. I don't know how it happened (or why, I really can't remember my reasoning), but we replaced the shifter (and cable) with Shimano XT-M8000 11-spd shifter. (It all seemed to work fine-ish. I am really scratching my head as to why we didn't replace it with a 9-spd shifter, maybe it was a new old bike and I was convinced it was an 11-spd. I really don't know).

This week, I decided to convert the bike from a 2x9 to a 1x11, when I did this I didn't worry about changing the shifter (or the cable) because it was only a month old.

Now the shifter doesn't work. My partner is adament that it is not an 11-spd shifter, but the box says that it is.

This is now getting above my paygrade and I really need to phone a friend. I'll take it to the bike shop if I can't figure it out, but I want to have a go first.

Elitest thrill junkie
    M8000 is an 11 speed shifter. You are saying when it is not hooked up, just a bare cable coming out, you only get 9 clicks? Tried pulling on the cable and attempting to upshift (harder gear) at the same time? Sometimes it won't release well unless the derailleur spring tension is pulling it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    M8000 is an 11 speed shifter. You are saying when it is not hooked up, just a bare cable coming out, you only get 9 clicks?
    Yes, that was what I was doing

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Tried pulling on the cable and attempting to upshift (harder gear) at the same time? Sometimes it won't release well unless the derailleur spring tension is pulling it.
    Ah, thank you for that. I read that perhaps I had unseated the cable.

But.. it is working now. Reattached it to the derailleur just to double-check and voila - 10 clicks (and I checked last night, my partner checked, we both very frustrated by it).

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Where was the missing click? Sometimes they can fall out of the shifter and get lost. You were very lucky you found it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Where was the missing click? Sometimes they can fall out of the shifter and get lost. You were very lucky you found it.
    Pretty sure I scared it back into place.