shifter or derailleur?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

shifter or derailleur?

Upgrading my x9 drivetrain. Planning on getting and xt shadow plus derailleur and xtr shifter. I figure that i will feel a bigger performance increase with that combo than if i went with an XTR derailleur and xt shifter.

What do y'all think?

mtbr member
    I'd keep the X9 and convert to gripshift

Then with the all the money you saved you could buy some of these:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i already own two pairs...

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I'd keep the Sram personally, much easier to deal with but ya, Shifters are more important than the derailleur.. (within reason)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I agree, keep the SRAM... but if you must downgrade to Shitmano, go with the XT shifter and XTR derailleur, as the derailleur is where the actual work takes place.
    Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    I don't think you are going to see any significant performance upgrade, so unless your x9 stuff is broken, why waste the $200 or more?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    I agree, keep the SRAM... but if you must downgrade to Shitmano, go with the XT shifter and XTR derailleur, as the derailleur is where the actual work takes place.
    ya... that's actually a marketing misconception. I've taken cheapo derailleurs with nice shifters and gotten a better feel than with cheaper shifters and expensive derailleurs... I will always go with X9/XT shifters or above with X5/Deore derailleurs and it'll shift just fine
    1. the Shifter actually does the works/alignment/feed back to you
    2. the Derailleur just does what the shifter tells it. plus Derailleurs are the most likely part on the bike to get damaged, short of the tires.

Yes the Rear Derailleur guides the chain, but as long as the bushings/pivot joints are good, you wont tell the diff from one derailleur to another (again, within reason) If I had to do Shimano, I'd go for XTR shifters and SLX derailleur. The weight of the SLX is a tad more, but it's also more likely to survive a dreaded trail snake and costs what... 1/2 if the snake takes it out...

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I don't think you are going to see any significant performance upgrade, so unless your x9 stuff is broken, why waste the $200 or more?
    Last edited by thomllama; 08-07-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Ow!
    Yep, the shifter is where the most difference occurs. I use SRAM on my 9s systems, and noticed a big difference when I went from X.9 to X.0 shifters. The RD not so much. And since my bikes like to pick up sticks, breaking a lower end RD is much more palatable than breaking a X.0 RD (which I have done).

You might just keep your eyes open for a sale on a X.0 shifter, or ebay. Unless you just really want to try Shimano. If so, try to get a XTR shifter. A SLX/XT RD (or lower even) will do just fine. I been seeing some sales on XTR 9s shifters lately. I even think I saw at my local Performance store a set going for about $120.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by circlesuponcircles View Post
    Upgrading my x9 drivetrain. Planning on getting and xt shadow plus derailleur and xtr shifter. I figure that i will feel a bigger performance increase with that combo than if i went with an XTR derailleur and xt shifter.

What do y'all think?
    The XTR shifter is one of the best.....light last well and shifts great....

The XT shifter can be converted to multishifts with a quick mod....if they havn't allready done that...

The xT vs the XTR RD is not much of a difference.....about the same weight, maybe a little more precise....

You will be relieved to lose the sram x9. Just the to piss off the guys who felt the need to try to convince you to stay sram.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Shimano or sram is up to you but as others have said the rear derailleurs only differ by weight, durability (getting worse the newer it gets supposedly), and the types of bearings in the rollers. Sure the cheapest ones are flexier, heavier, and probably a bit easier to break.

For shifters you want something with metal paddles, this makes a difference. Also the best shifters last a long time while the low end ones don't, and the good ones feel a lot better.

I would go xtr/xo/x9 with the shifters and slx/xt (not really needed) in the RD, or x7/x9 RD. I have recently checked out lots of derailleurs and the older x7/x9 seems bombproof, but the x9 seems a bit more durable if you don't crash it, but if you do then get the cheapest.

I have a feeling the newer xt/slx is not as durable, xtr no way. I see old xtr RDs from like 10-15 years ago still going strong, the new ones wont do that.

If I were you I'd just upgrade the shifter to the best and be happy with it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Members who have read this thread: 1